3/4 vinyl

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do you like the appearance of the 3/4 vinyl roof on the FB Mustangs.

• Total voters
I am no expert here, but my thoughts are this. My 73 also had the 3/4 vinyl roof. I do like the look especially with my colour combo, but, I am worried about moisture between the vinyl and the roof. Would hate to find out too late that there was rot going on. Now mine is a daily driver so there is a risk of getting caught in the rain. If I were trailering to shows and keeping it inside the rest of the time, I probably would install the vinyl. Good luck.

Short form:

Aesthetics: It looks great.

Practicality: Do you like rust? Lots of it?

-Kurt
Lucky for me I got to see one years ago that had been annihilated by the rust from its 3/4 vinyl sooooo... I removed mine when I stored it 24 years ago. My roof is perfect! Whew! After getting the body bead blasted I plan on using epoxy primer on it. That should put an end to that worry, which ever I choose.

thank for the 2 cents though, very appreciated. I'm kinda thinking its a good look too.

I say put it back on if you want it back on. It's your car - go for it.

However, I'm not really a fan of vinyl roofs in general. I know the West Texas Broil-O-Matic would cook it off within a few years, so I'll never have a vinyl roof car.

I also have a '72 Mach 1 parts car that had the 3/4 vinyl treatment. The roof can be described in two words: swiss cheese. Previous owner also must've tried to 'glass it - poorly.

Good luck with whichever way you go - it sounds like you have a solid plan. Should be awesome, and can't wait to see it! ::thumb::

My '72 FB had the 3/4 vinyl roof. I'm on the fence with replacing it from an aesthetics point of view. What are your opinions?
defiitely a Grande' - I d grab all the options for 72 and 73s that it can hold then an overdrive then a Marti Report. But 1st getting a frame off body clean up.

Mine originally come with one too, it was pulled off during repainting before i owned it....They do take alot more care...Plus it counts where you live, i see some original vinyl tops still holding up around my town, cause decent climate here and dry overall..Seen plenty of abused rusted ones too..They do take alot more care than a normal top but i like the color combo's you can pull off with them, they can be so cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must be in the minority: I think the vinyl roof looks absurdly out of place on a fastback or a Mach 1. It completely goes against the personality and performance look of the car to me.

I do however like vinyl roofs on appropriate cars: luxury cars and such. My Mk-V had the most awesome chamois-colored deep, plush vinyl roof on it...looked fabulous.

A vinyl roof on a fastback to me would look as out of place as whitewalls, wire spoke hubcaps and woodgrain paneling.

I agree with Kit !!!

I think the vinyl tops on the fastback looks horrible.

My 73 Mach 1 came with an avocado 3/4 top. It is originally from Upstate NY and the roof is in good shape without rust.

There is no way its going back on, I have already removed the pins for the molding.

I have the trim & clips available if anyone is looking

Thanks, Jay

Although I really like vinyl tops on cars like Cudas, Challengers or Chargers or 67-68 Mustang coupes, I do not like them on any 71-73 Mustangs (Grandes included).

The lines of our cars are just plain wrong for vinyl tops.

I agree with Kit !!!

I think the vinyl tops on the fastback looks horrible.

My 73 Mach 1 came with an avocado 3/4 top. It is originally from Upstate NY and the roof is in good shape without rust.

There is no way its going back on, I have already removed the pins for the molding.

I have the trim & clips available if anyone is looking

Thanks, Jay
I might be interested in them, what do you want for them? Mine have gone missing and I might just want them around while I chew on the thought.

Ugh - Is that rendering the look you are going for when the car is finished?

Ray
Um, probably not but it one of about 100 renders I've tossed around. This is from my, "What if" thoughts if Shelby hadn't gotten out of the game.

What if's for this one...

1. Shelby was still on board

2. the oil embargo never happened

3. what if Shinoda and knudsen had remained on board (Iacocca canned the racing budget in '69)

2. Ford birthed a 460 Super Cobra Jet

Does anyone else have any "what if" scenario's that would have made these cars different?

Latest posts

Back