3 Point Seat Belt for a convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfootlarry

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang coupe 302
73 Mustang Convertible
3 pt mount bracket in door jamb.jpgTrying to install a 3 point seat belt for my 73 Mustang. Does anybody have any ideas on how to install the hardware at the top point. The plate that comes with the seat belts has a stem them is about 1/2 inch too short to place a bolt on over the quarter panel. I have seen some posts where people have fabricated ones with longer bolt stems and a plate with a slight bend so you can place a rivots tight against the body. If anybody has modified theirs I would be happy to pay somebody to furnish two plates with stems that are longer with stems being that I dont have a welder and no welding experience, I need some help. Thanks, Need something like this

I went a different route with mine. I put the upper mount behind he rear inner quarter cover and cut a hole in it to feed the belt through. The lower mount us through the floor frame. This suited me better as it is a high enough point for us tall guys:)

68da05e93c872f8ee6dabde84a5b0737.jpg

30d6eca09942e340a30da1690edd6dba.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip but I would like to place the mounting plate in the jam without disturbing the quarter panel. I just need somebody who can make a plate with a longer thread stem. Thanks

If you click on 'my garage' and then on the 'mofication page' you can see where I mounted mine. Is this what you are trying to accomplish?

If I remember correctly I put mine inside, not in the door jam. I don't have the car at home but will check next time I am over there (Sunday).

Do you have any pictures of how you installed it behind the quarter panel?

Thanks

If that question is for me, I can't find any direct ones. Keep in mind my rear quarters are the aftermarket ones so I had no problem cutting them up. The upper mount just bolted on to that plate you can see in he fits pick and the lower about spool reel is mounted to the floor with the same kind of plate mounted on the underside of the floor and an L bracket to the mechanism. There is tons of room under there for the spool.

Sent from an iPhone please excuse the ridiculous spell correcting software. My forum thread is at http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=74944

Back