351 4v ( 408 and TKX )

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my new spring plates. I wanted to get the ones with the tie down built in . Not that my car will be a trailer queen because it's not. But if the show or event is more than a couple hours away I may want throw it behind the Supper Duty.

So checking to see if the under ride traction bars will hit the plates I found the bolt holes don't line up. Well I cut the ears off and had my buddy weld the brackets to the plates. I believe this will better anyway then the U bolts doing all work.

IMG_2367.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

Just a word of advice, don't weld the traction bar front brackets to the frame until the car is completely assembled and has a enough miles on it to settle the rear springs, then weld them on with it on all fours on a ramp lift. The bars will cause binding if done any differently.

Wow, went back to see when you started has been a long journey for sure. At least not you are in the area that moves along fast. Taking a car apart that long ago and keeping up with everything is a task in it's own. Looking great. I love a Décor Group car just makes it look done. Keep up the work and post the progress.

Just a word of advice, don't weld the traction bar front brackets to the frame until the car is completely assembled and has a enough miles on it to settle the rear springs, then weld them on with it on all fours on a ramp lift. The  bars will cause binding if done any differently.
For sure that is the plan. A figure a couple of good smokey burn outs I should be good to go.  :D

Wow, went back to see when you started has been a long journey for sure. At least not you are in the area that moves along fast. Taking a car apart that long ago and keeping up with everything is a task in it's own. Looking great. I love a Décor Group car just makes it look done. Keep up the work and post the progress.
Thanks David, Yeah I thought I would have it done by now. My goal was to be driving it by 50th birthday. Well that was back in January. So needles to say I'm little behind.  :huh:

Just a word of advice, don't weld the traction bar front brackets to the frame until the car is completely assembled and has a enough miles on it to settle the rear springs, then weld them on with it on all fours on a ramp lift. The  bars will cause binding if done any differently.
For sure that is the plan. A figure a couple of good smokey burn outs I should be good to go.  :D
While you're modifying, you might also think about adding some adjustability to the bars, either heim joints or adjustable links in the bars.

https://www.qa1.net/rod-ends-and-related

While you're modifying, you might also think about adding some adjustability to the bars, either heim joints or adjustable links in the bars.

https://www.qa1.net/rod-ends-and-related
Hmm, I never gave that a thought. :chin:

My 4.5 mid eye springs showed up just in time for the weekend. Well I was pissed with amount of paint that sprayed on them.  There was runs,scrapes, chips everywhere and the paint was real soft. Another quality part from Scott Drake. I spent well over 4 hours sanding that crap off!  :mad: 

Painted them flat black. Very happy how they look now. I moved on to removing the original housing and springs. Finely the last of the crusty and rusty is removed.

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_2386.JPG

At least this paint would have offered some protection, looks like some stone guard.

I recall when I've changed my 73's that they were sprayed with thin black layer directly on metal and was pealing off in many places. So first job was to remove the paint and the light rust underneath before paint them properly.

Your grey (or matt black, hard to see on pict) is nicer too.

At least this paint would have offered some protection, looks like some stone guard.

I recall when I've changed my 73's that they were sprayed with thin black layer directly on metal and was pealing off in many places. So first job was to remove the paint and the  light rust underneath before paint them properly.

Your grey (or matt black, hard to see on pict) is nicer too.
Most of the gray paint on the clamps just flaked off. It would have never last. The flat Black looks so much.

Are you going to use a stock center for the 9", or do you have something from Strange coming?

Those springs made me laugh. I used to do some parts trading with a local Mustang place. I had agreed to swap him a somewhat tough to find (in '91) mass airflow EFI setup off a friend's wrecked '89 5.0 GT for a list of suspension parts I needed. I went to pick up my goods and he had everything laid out, but the springs looked completely wrong. I had given him an exact part number with arc specs and everything. The 429CJ springs I wanted had about 5" of arch, the ones he tried to give me had about 9" and had a layer of undercoating on them about 1/4" thick. He tried to pawn off what I assumed a used set of coupe 6 cylinder springs on me, so I grabbed my EFI setup and went to leave. Magically, his helper "Jimmy" came out with the correct ones from the back room saying something about how he thought I was a different customer and picked the wrong parts.

Are you going to use a stock center for the 9", or do you have something from Strange coming?
I'm running a stock "N" case 28 spline traction lock from a 73 Mach 1. It originally had 3.50s now 3.70s. I picked up some heavy duty axles as well. I'm sure it will handle the power of a 408C. The BFGs are just going to spin anyway.  :D

IMG_2354.JPG

Back