351 4v ( 408 and TKX )

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those springs made me laugh. I used to do some parts trading with a local Mustang place. I had agreed to swap him a somewhat tough to find (in '91) mass airflow EFI setup off a friend's wrecked '89 5.0 GT for a list of suspension parts I needed. I went to pick up my goods and he had everything laid out, but the springs looked completely wrong. I had given him an exact part number with arc specs and everything. The 429CJ springs I wanted had about 5" of arch, the ones he tried to give me had about 9" and had a layer of undercoating on them about 1/4" thick. He tried to pawn off what I assumed a used set of coupe 6 cylinder springs on me, so I grabbed my EFI setup and went to leave. Magically, his helper "Jimmy" came out with the correct ones from the back room saying something about how he thought I was a different customer and picked the wrong parts.
Funny how some guys can't be strait up at first.

I bought most of my suspension parts from Opentracker. Overall I was very happy with parts and service. When I ordered up the springs It didn't say anything about manufacturer. Honestly I didn't even give a thought. So when they showed up and seen the condition off them I figured my fault for not doing my research.

Nice job Mike!

Ok now I'm pissed!! Put the car down today to find out it sits to high. These spring are Scot Drake mid eye 1" drop. They do have the mid eye but have way to much arch. I knew I was in trouble when I had to jack up axle to bolt up the shocks. The shocks are topped out where it sits now. To see if there was any chance it would settle down I put 10 gallons of gas up in package tray 2 cement blocks seat pan and 20 gallons of water in the trunk. It dropped just a hair over a inch. :mad:  I don't want to take it apart!

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2410.JPG

They should settle over time. in the meantime you could try installing 1" lowering blocks, not the best option but it would lower it while the springs settle in.

Mike, I installed stock replacements on my red Mach years ago and they sat a little high st first. After I drove the car for awhile they settled. I put the same ones on my blue 72 Mach a they sit a little high also. I’m hoping they do the same. Now on the front i installed the Scott drake 1” lowering springs. I’ve seen where people are not happy with those. Ryan

View attachment 41785

View attachment 41786

Last edited by a moderator:
How does your "shackle" (not sure thats the right name, the thingy on the rear connecting to frame) looks like? Did you change it?

You could fix a bit there may be?

I have been searching around and found threads of guys complaining about the Scot Drake spring being to high. Right now the way it sits the shocks are topped out.  Maybe even pulling the springs up. That can't be good. I think I will unbolt them tomorrow. I did loosened up the shackles to see if they where binding. No change. I have a hard time thinking they will settle 3 plus inches. 

After talking with sdstang today I think I'm going to order up some Detroit Eton mid eyes. Jim said his car settled about a half inch. 

Thanks guys for your reply's.

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

Ok now I'm pissed!! Put the car down today to find out it sits to high. These spring are Scot Drake mid eye 1" drop. They do have the mid eye but have way to much arch. I knew I was in trouble when I had to jack up axle to bolt up the shocks. The shocks are topped out where it sits now. To see if there was any chance it would settle down I put 10 gallons of gas up in package tray 2 cement blocks seat pan and 20 gallons of water in the trunk. It dropped just a hair over a inch. :mad:  I don't want to take it apart!
what is the height, with no weights, from the ground (if car was on the ground) to the top of the wheel well opening.

Finally got my leaf springs handled.  Open tracker racing was very helpful to resolve my concern. They offered to send me a new set but I would have to send the bad set back. I just didn't want to deal with another set of Scott Drake springs. They also offered to pay for a re arch or store credit. So I had them send me a set of globalwest sub frame connectors. 

I ordered a set 1 inch drop Eaton leafs from NPD. All they needed was a quick spray of flat black and on they went. Check out the difference in the arch between Scott Drakes and the Eaton's.  What a joke. :mad:  Now the car sits much better.

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG

IMG_2435.JPG

Beautiful, exactly that even free space around the tire that your'e looking for!

I read through the entire post. Very informative. Very detailed. Spawned many ideas. My wife and I will probably reference this build as we progress through ours. I especially liked the parts that you refurbished, instead of replaced. A Harbor Freight blast cabinet will be added to our "tools".

Attention to detail is fantastic. I am no fan of red, but your Mach 1 looks awesome!!!

Thanks for the detailed build post.

Brett

I read through the entire post. Very informative. Very detailed. Spawned many ideas. My wife and I will probably reference this build as we progress through ours. I especially liked the parts that you refurbished, instead of replaced. A Harbor Freight blast cabinet will be added to our "tools".

Attention to detail is fantastic. I am no fan of red, but your Mach 1 looks awesome!!!

Thanks for the detailed build post.

Brett
Thanks Brett for the kind words. I'm trying to do a nice driver build with out braking the bank  rofl 

Mike

Fantastic thread, and I only read through the even pages. Imagine what I'll learn when I go back and go through the odd ones.

Just outstanding work and you keep a dang nice and clean shop. Bravo.

This is a what, five? six? year effort now? You should make a book out of it once you get to the end because there seems to be nothing you have not encountered.

Back