351 Cleveland build advice needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
None currently
Hey Guys

I have a 1971 2v Cleveland with low mileage and I have a nice set of 1970 4 v closed chambered heads with screw in studs and roller 1.7 rockers and a performer 4v lb intakeMy question is:what's the best cam to use to make a nice street motor that pulls down low?thanks

What's the gear ratio in the rear axle? If you have anything "shorter" than 3.50s, you're giving away all your low-end grunt to cruising gears.

Swapping in a set of "taller" gears will get you the off-the-line power you're looking for without the expense and work of swapping cams.

Hope that helps.

Well,I haven't decided what gears yet, I want to build the motor and fit the gears to it if that makes sense.Im assuming the stock 2 v cam won't be any good with closed chambered heads?
What's the rear end ratio, 4 speed or automatic, the stall speed if automatic and the intended use?

As Eric mentioned if you have a 2.70 or 3.00 rear if you build up the motor it's still going to be a dog at launch. You will see a world of difference just by switching to a 3.50 rear and your current 2V motor. If you get a cam that comes into power at 2500 to 6000 RPM with a 2.70 rear you are not going to be in the cam power band at low speeds.

You need to consider the whole package as a whole before you start. Think about how you intend to drive it, you don't want to be fighting to keep it idling in stop and go traffic etc. With the more performance cams you will have to get a higher stall converter too if running an auto.

Back