351 Cleveland thermostat restrictor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/neonfiddler?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Go to this Ebay site. I have no affiliation with this man, other than I purchased the brass washer, a 180° & 195° thermostat from him. Now listen......I testify with my reputation on the line, that these are quality, better than new. The brass washer is a higher quality, more finely machined piece, period. The skirt, is machined and pressed onto the correct robertshaw thermostat. This skirt is thicker than stock material and is much higher quality than the others available on Amazon and at Napa, I know because I have the Amazon ones and the Napa ones on my shelf in my shop. I spent big bucks on my engine and I obsessed over this issue a year ago. I bought all of them and tested them.

This guy on Ebay is a machinist and a Pantera enthusiast but he does not believe in the aluminum blocking plate. Either do I. (I also have one of these plates and contemplated using it) Get this next concept clear in your mind: It is not a restrictor plate, it is a bypass washer. A restrictor plate is something altogether different. My Cleveland, with 425 HP runs perfectly using these parts, I currently use the 180°. Again, I have no reason to recommend this guy other than when you have the parts in your hand and you compare them to others, his are of better quality.

His washer and thermostat will cost you $100 (last year), now they are around $120. I know it sounds like a rip off but what do you think he should sell them for...his machinist time is worth it for my engine. If it is not worth his time to make them, why would he? He doesn't make runs of millions of these, each one is machined. Go to his site and read. Educate yourself. Don't cheap out.

Good info ebstang, just re-read the entire post from beginning to end and actually learned a few things. That is difficult to do as I get older, but it does happen...

I would also like to apologize to 4x4 for taking over his original post, I was just looking for thermostat information for our rebuild. Clevelands are quite interesting engines in this regard.

:thankyouyellow:

Ahhh, Eric (Mister4x4) started this post last fall and even he, almost, forgot about it. I'd imagine he's cool with new hype on an old post...

now about those Obsidian taillight lenses... :chin:

One thing for sure that makes this topic of conversation confusing for many especially when first learning about it is when people interchangeably use the names:

Brass bypass washer

bypass plate

Cleveland thermostat restrictor- 9/7/15

restrictor/bypass plate- 9/8/15

solid restrictor plate- 9/8/15

block off plate- 9/8/15

original style brass restrictors- 9/8/15

stock restrictor plate- 9/9/15

restrictor hat- 3/24/16

bypass orifice plug- 3/24/16

bypass plate- 3/25/16

restrictor washer

restrictor plate

Pantera plate

Pantera restrictor plate

You almost have to read a whole thread to get a thorough understanding. Sometimes, in threads, a term (above) is used and it's easy to think the writer is referring to one when in reality he is inadvertently referring to the other. Terms like "bypass plate" can get confusing since they are a combination of the two different part's descriptions and only confuse the reader unless he is carefully reading the whole context of the comment. There are comments in this thread where the comment's author refers to one but if you're reading carefully you can clearly see he really means the other. (Inadvertently, unintentionally)

Factory (brass) Bypass Washer- "washer" as in, has a hole in the middle for coolant flow. It does not restrict. The skirted thermostat gradually restricts coolant flow, proportionally, as the thermostat slowly opens, simultaneously closing the hole/orifice in the washer. It is not a plate.

Aftermarket (aluminum) Bypass Blocking Plate- "plate" as in, no hole in the middle. No flow. Total restriction, always.

***For informational & educational purposes only! Not meant to offend or ruffle*** ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/neonfiddler?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Go to this Ebay site. I have no affiliation with this man, other than I purchased the brass washer, a 180° & 195° thermostat from him. Now listen......I testify with my reputation on the line, that these are quality, better than new. The brass washer is a higher quality, more finely machined piece, period. The skirt, is machined and pressed onto the correct robertshaw thermostat. This skirt is thicker than stock material and is much higher quality than the others available on Amazon and at Napa, I know because I have the Amazon ones and the Napa ones on my shelf in my shop. I spent big bucks on my engine and I obsessed over this issue a year ago. I bought all of them and tested them.

This guy on Ebay is a machinist and a Pantera enthusiast but he does not believe in the aluminum blocking plate. Either do I. (I also have one of these plates and contemplated using it) Get this next concept clear in your mind: It is not a restrictor plate, it is a bypass washer. A restrictor plate is something altogether different. My Cleveland, with 425 HP runs perfectly using these parts, I currently use the 180°. Again, I have no reason to recommend this guy other than when you have the parts in your hand and you compare them to others, his are of better quality.

His washer and thermostat will cost you $100 (last year), now they are around $120. I know it sounds like a rip off but what do you think he should sell them for...his machinist time is worth it for my engine. If it is not worth his time to make them, why would he? He doesn't make runs of millions of these, each one is machined. Go to his site and read. Educate yourself. Don't cheap out.

Good info ebstang, just re-read the entire post from beginning to end and actually learned a few things. That is difficult to do as I get older, but it does happen...

I would also like to apologize to 4x4 for taking over his original post, I was just looking for thermostat information for our rebuild. Clevelands are quite interesting engines in this regard.

:thankyouyellow:

Ahhh, Eric (Mister4x4) started this post last fall and even he, almost, forgot about it. I'd imagine he's cool with new hype on an old post...

now about those Obsidian taillight lenses... :chin:

One thing for sure that makes this topic of conversation confusing for many especially when first learning about it is when people interchangeably use the names:

Brass bypass washer

bypass plate

Cleveland thermostat restrictor- 9/7/15

restrictor/bypass plate- 9/8/15

solid restrictor plate- 9/8/15

block off plate- 9/8/15

original style brass restrictors- 9/8/15

stock restrictor plate- 9/9/15

restrictor hat- 3/24/16

bypass orifice plug- 3/24/16

bypass plate- 3/25/16

restrictor washer

restrictor plate

Pantera plate

Pantera restrictor plate

You almost have to read a whole thread to get a thorough understanding. Sometimes, in threads, a term (above) is used and it's easy to think the writer is referring to one when in reality he is inadvertently referring to the other. Terms like "bypass plate" can get confusing since they are a combination of the two different part's descriptions and only confuse the reader unless he is carefully reading the whole context of the comment. There are comments in this thread where the comment's author refers to one but if you're reading carefully you can clearly see he really means the other. (Inadvertently, unintentionally)

Factory (brass) Bypass Washer- "washer" as in, has a hole in the middle for coolant flow. It does not restrict. The skirted thermostat gradually restricts coolant flow, proportionally, as the thermostat slowly opens, simultaneously closing the hole/orifice in the washer. It is not a plate.

Aftermarket (aluminum) Bypass Blocking Plate- "plate" as in, no hole in the middle. No flow. Total restriction, always.

***For informational & educational purposes only! Not meant to offend or ruffle*** ;)
Good point on the different names used for this part, I can see how one could be confused when reading the various threads. BTW, the 73 Shop Manual calls this the Water Pump Bypass Orifice Plug. Another name for the list ;)

We are rebuilding a 351C and it appears that the restrictor hat is permanently attached to the engine block. When we tore the engine down I was aware of the removable hat, but noticed that what looks like the restrictor hat would not come out of the block.

The block has now been hot tanked and bored .030 and was curious if the hot tank process would loosen or even destroy the hat. It did not and is in the same place it was before the machine work.

It the spot in the block simply a mounting spot for the hat? It looks just like the pictures posted here of what the hat should look like, but is not removable. Is it possible that the hat is permanently mounted in the block?

How difficult is it to remove the restrictor hat?

I am at a bit of a loss and appreciate some input.
351 M blocks had the bypass cast integral with the block thus eliminating the need for the brass bypass plate. Is it possible you have a 351 M?

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Back