351C 4V Exhaust system

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
Hello Friends.

Now that the engine and tranny finally found their way home I am ready to procure exhaust. I researched the forums and found that people like the Pypes system for all around install, quality, and sound. The problem is I only see that system available to mate with headers.

I have the factory 4V exhaust manifolds and want to use the chrome Mach 1 exhaust tips. I am going to run a performance cam and don't want to choke the engine out, and I want a good combination of throaty exhaust without a deafening drone on the highway. What do I do?

1) Go to a reputable exhaust shop and say "build it for me"?

2) Order from one of the vendors. I have yet to find a decent complete system with all the hangers from E-manifolds to E-tips. Should I go 2.5 inch dia, or 2.25? Will the tips work with 2.5" exhaust.

3) Go to Summitt or Rock Auto, or someone else who can get me a great deal on a system.

4) Buy the original style H-pipe and have the local shop do the rest?

Help is appreciated!

kcmash

So a little more research has me leaning toward the Scott Drake system.

D1ZZ-5257-TRK from Summit Racing due to the price. It is tough to tell what all is included with the kits though.

I would like to find a deal on the system, the H-Pipe, the tips and all the hangers.

Thanks!

kcmash

My 2 cents. Go with 2 1/4". Select the mufflers since they will be the biggest component for the exhaust note. Purchase either 'H' or 'X' section of the exhaust system. Purchase the exhaust tips. Find a reputable shop and have them build and install the rest of the system. You can discuss / decide on the material for the system with the shop (i.e stainless, aluminized, etc).

I'm in the same boat. I need a new exhaust from manifolds to tips. I am going with 2 1/4" tubes, not sure yet if it will be SS, depends on price. As for mufflers, I personally love the sound of my FlowMasters. They were on the car when I bought it and have had many comments on the nice throaty sound and they are not deafening on the road with the windows open. I'm not sure, but I think they are FlowMaster 50's.

I may have the system custom built as the exchange rate makes it a better proposition and keeps the local custom exhaust shop in business. One thing I will be doing and it doesn't cost much to do, is to install O2 bungs in each inner side of the H pipe so that if and when the car is on the dyno, the exhaust gasses can be analyzed. (place them as high as possible but still allow access next to trans.)

And that's my 2 cents worth as well.

Geoff.

So a little more research has me leaning toward the Scott Drake system.

D1ZZ-5257-TRK from Summit Racing due to the price. It is tough to tell what all is included with the kits though.

I would like to find a deal on the system, the H-Pipe, the tips and all the hangers.

Thanks!

kcmash
Go to drakes site - that system is the downpipes, mufflers and tail pipes

I can do

standard 2 1/4 system 2 down pipes, 2 mufflers, 2 tailpipes 195.00

with upgraded mufflers 265.00

Or a OEM type system, welded [ has slip fit on front of muffler for shipping purposes ] 312.00

H pipe 74.00

tips, clamps and hardware sold separately

Plus shipping

Will clear staggard shocks - mimmicks factory systems - compression

bends - USA made - excellent customer support

Can also be custom made in 2 -1/2 now email for pricing

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

Right now your prices are better than any other I can find. So if you don't mind, can you quote me the following package with shipping?

Your system withe the upgraded mufflers.(Are they Flowmaster? Please tell me the brand)

Hangar KIt for OEM style mounting

Scott Drake Exhaust tips for mach 1

H-Pipe

Shipping to 64014.

Also, can you give me your thoughts on the 2.5 inch "Boss 351" exhaust system that CJ Ponyparts advertises as coming? Did M code and R Code come with 2.5 or 2.25 exhaust?

Thanks! kcmash

2 1/4" pipes are all you need.

bigger is not always better and can actually cost you some hp.

yes, using the stock head pipe and having a system of the same size built is a great plan also.

straight thru mufflers like magnaflows will get you a little more hp but not enough to worry abut so get the mufflers that you like the sound of.

never, ever, buy a complete system unless you know EXACTLY which mufflers are being used unless you don't care.

Might as well chime in as I will be in the market also for my 429cj engine. I would love to go stainless, one time install. Did this on my '71 429cj Mach in 1993 and the system was still perfect when I sold it in 2010... Cost me $600 installed back on the day, a lot of coin back then, but well worth it.

I think a 2 1/2" system would benefit the breathing capabilities on my CJ, but would live with 2 1/4" as per factory. Still trying to figure out what muffler would be best.

I may piece mill a system together similar to what Don is quoting, as that is a good price.

Guess I should worry about rebuilding the engine first... Sometimes jump just a little to far ahead in my wish list...

Last edited:
If you have over 400 hp, I would use tubes that are larger than 2 1/4"

That will be the intent, won't take much internal work to bump up the conservative factory rating of 375hp...

Well everything seemed good until I went for the exhaust tips.

I bought a pair of reproduction tips in a Scott Drake labeled box.  I slide one on the tip and have 2 problems.

1)  The tips stick out about 4 inches too far when slipped all the way up to end of the narrow tailpipe end.  These tailpipes are supposedly made off of an NOS system.  

2) When I tighten the clamp on the exhaust tip it does not snug it onto the tailpipe.

Does anyone have shots of a successful setup?  I am about to take the tips back or go to an exhaust shop to have them cut things to fit.

I'll attach pictures of the Box and the bag the tips came in.  Let me know if this is a true Drake product or if someone just labeled a box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep,  thats where I got mine too.  Just down to the tips and the alignment of those.

That seems to be the devil in the details.

kris

Latest posts

Back