351c 680hp

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"My first question is: why would anyone want to push a 351C to make more than 400-450hp for a street car? "

Everyone has a HP threshold that makes them smile every time they drive the car. For some that is 300, for others it is 500. It costs no more to build 500 than it does 450. As for control, that is a function of the driver. Some drivers can't control a vehicle with 300 HP. Other can control 500 well. As usual the answer is, it depends. Chuck

"My first question is: why would anyone want to push a 351C to make more than 400-450hp for a street car? "

Everyone has a HP threshold that makes them smile every time they drive the car. For some that is 300, for others it is 500. It costs no more to build 500 than it does 450. As for control, that is a function of the driver. Some drivers can't control a vehicle with 300 HP. Other can control 500 well. As usual the answer is, it depends. Chuck
+1 My car puts a huge smile on my face every time I get in it at 550-600hp! My old motor was around 400hp and there's a huge difference in the two. Don't get me wrong I loved driving the 400hp but I REALLY LOVE driving close to 600hp! :D Being able to destroy a set of tires at will is awesome. When I do get my car to hook up and roll on the throttle, the acceleration is unbelievable!!! Its all in what you want, and can handle!!! My car is not the most street friendly but I have definitely had worse! Try 35 inch super swampers, 6 inches of lift and 300+hp in a Bronco II! Recipe for disaster but I drove that truck everyday to college and work for over 4 years!!

As soon as I posted this, I figured you'd reply with exactly what you said, Kevin - and I expected nothing less. ::thumb::

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with it... as Chuck mentioned, it's all about personal preference - which is why I tried (probably unsuccessfully) to not sound condescending.

But when someone mentions street racing, however, I have issues. Seen and heard of too many people hurt/killed (usually not just racers, either), cars and property damaged, and not enough respect for others demonstrated involving street racing. It's senseless and the main reason why I can't appreciate the whole genre brought about and perpetuated by the FnF movies and their ilk.

Also having grown up in Utah, it's also just a little weird to hear about some street racing scene in Brigham City. There was pretty much nothing in Brigham City way back then.

As soon as I posted this, I figured you'd reply with exactly what you said, Kevin - and I expected nothing less. ::thumb::

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with it... as Chuck mentioned, it's all about personal preference - which is why I tried (probably unsuccessfully) to not sound condescending.

But when someone mentions street racing, however, I have issues. Seen and heard of too many people hurt/killed (usually not just racers, either), cars and property damaged, and not enough respect for others demonstrated involving street racing. It's senseless and the main reason why I can't appreciate the whole genre brought about and perpetuated by the FnF movies and their ilk.

Also having grown up in Utah, it's also just a little weird to hear about some street racing scene in Brigham City. There was pretty much nothing in Brigham City way back then.
I understand what your saying Eric. Cant say im much of a street racer. My mustang trips usually include 2 kids in the back seat, wife riding shotgun, and all of us heading to get icecream! LOL:D But 600hp icecream runs RULE!!!! LOL! I only open the car up once in a while, by myself! I try to drive it to work 1 or 2 days a week in the summer. I ddint build my motor to race around on street, I built it cause I wanted to, and I thought it was cool! :cool:

No worries, Kevin! As I've said before, I'm not the guy who gives out approval or anything... I just have my opinions, and the only negative thing I can say about this thread at all is the mention of street racing. Other than that, and as always: build 'em how you want 'em.

I'll bet the 600hp ice cream runs are a total riot... but I'm still looking forward to my first 400-ish run for anything. ;) :D

When he used the term street races I wondered the same thing. I would not advocate street drag racing. But I saw there was a track in those parts that has 'street runs' for normal folks to bring their cars. I went for the benefit of the doubt.

We have a couple tracks out hear actually. Some public some private. The fastest car out hear is a 77 ford pinto. Yes I said pinto. He as a 72 Cleveland with 529hp with twin remote mount turbos underneath the hood of that little car. Home bilt supframe connectors, roll bar, all the good toys. Last time he ran it was over in 10.39 seconds

Glad to hear about the tracks. ::thumb::

Back when I was a kid living in Sandy, the Salt Lake Police used to have a race car they'd run at Bonneville Dragway on "Beat the Cops" nights. Do they still do that (as far as you know)?

Hey Man - good luck with the build... seriously. I wasn't trying to bash your efforts or plans.

I don't really know. I moved away from salt lake 5 years ago. I hate the trafic down there. Ill post pictures of the build

I have both stock 70 64cc heads and 54cc heads. Nither ones will I use

Last edited by a moderator:
where do I even get a blue Thunder dual plane intake manifold because I cant find one?
If you are going to run the AFD heads, the edelbrock torquer II came highly recommended by several of the distributors of the AFD heads. I am running the torquer II on my AFD's and really like it. You have to do some fitting to make it work but well worth it. My machine shop did some epoxy work to get a perfect port match. Also the intake from AFD for their heads is crazy tall and wouldn't even fit under the hood and cost an arm and a leg.

Back