4 Speed Top Loader

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2001 Cobra convertible. 1971 Mach 1 351 C 4V 4 speed
My car is in the frame shop. The engine is at the machine shop, so tomorrow I will start cleaning the transmission up. The car has not been on the road since 1983 so I have never had the car running. The transmission shifts fine through all the gears as far as I can tell. What are some potential problems or areas that I need to be aware of prior to reinstallation?

Thanks,

Dave

For a 4 Speed?

I suggest you contact David Kee Toploaders to see what rebuild kit they offer. I used a kit from Marks Toploader Heaven in Oklahoma, but I am unsure if they are still active.

Those Marks site was good for the DIY job, but David Kee's site I am unsure of as I have not used it.

What to worry about?

- Detents and shift rails - they may feel OK on the bench, but years of forcing shifts and jamming gears can mushroom out detents, wear them out, or wear the shift rails. A perfect toploader should click-click into gears.

-Syncronizer bushings - they are the primary wear item on a toplader. They are the brass slip rings that aid in aligning gear speeds during shifts to avoid "grinding" between gears. You only know if these are bad by inspection, or by shifting the gears under a driving condition. When the syncronizers are bad, they often wear the engagement teeth on the main gear too.

-Input shaft Bearing! - The one that goes first and makes everything else wear faster.

The toplader sites have great information on this stuff and great pictures to show what looks correct and what does not. Most all of the parts are available, or you can have David Kee refurbish yours. They do sell all the replacement parts and offer a refurbish price of $350 plus parts.(I would expect the total to be close to $1000 on your average transmission)

I rebuilt mine using the kit from Marks Toploader Heaven. It came with all the syncros,gaskets and new bearings needed for a refurb, plus the specialty magnet tools and hand tools needed for re-assembly. Using the photos in his rebuild kit instructions I was able to identify worn gears and detents that I would have otherwise looked over. Mine shifts real easy on the floor, but I have yet to get it in the car and drive it.

Hope that helps. I suggest you get a kit and go through it while waiting on everything else, or open a dialogue with David Kee to have them do it.

kcmash

Dave,

I would replace the front and rear seals. Pull the cover off and wash it out thoroughly and then put new grease back in. With the few miles on your car I don't think anything would be worn. If there is rust I would tear it down and clean in Molasses tank then put back together. Light rust will not hurt it and the molasses will get it off without blasting it.

By the way the DMV guy came this past week and checked out my cars. Send me your VIN# and he said he would see what he can find out. N.C. did put all previous records on micro film and he will see what he can find. They do not do this as a service but he is doing as a favor.

Told him you were unsure as to the mileage, I think it is low.

David

For a 4 Speed?

I suggest you contact David Kee Toploaders to see what rebuild kit they offer. I used a kit from Marks Toploader Heaven in Oklahoma, but I am unsure if they are still active.

Those Marks site was good for the DIY job, but David Kee's site I am unsure of as I have not used it.

What to worry about?

- Detents and shift rails - they may feel OK on the bench, but years of forcing shifts and jamming gears can mushroom out detents, wear them out, or wear the shift rails. A perfect toploader should click-click into gears.

-Syncronizer bushings - they are the primary wear item on a toplader. They are the brass slip rings that aid in aligning gear speeds during shifts to avoid "grinding" between gears. You only know if these are bad by inspection, or by shifting the gears under a driving condition. When the syncronizers are bad, they often wear the engagement teeth on the main gear too.

-Input shaft Bearing! - The one that goes first and makes everything else wear faster.

The toplader sites have great information on this stuff and great pictures to show what looks correct and what does not. Most all of the parts are available, or you can have David Kee refurbish yours. They do sell all the replacement parts and offer a refurbish price of $350 plus parts.(I would expect the total to be close to $1000 on your average transmission)

I rebuilt mine using the kit from Marks Toploader Heaven. It came with all the syncros,gaskets and new bearings needed for a refurb, plus the specialty magnet tools and hand tools needed for re-assembly. Using the photos in his rebuild kit instructions I was able to identify worn gears and detents that I would have otherwise looked over. Mine shifts real easy on the floor, but I have yet to get it in the car and drive it.

Hope that helps. I suggest you get a kit and go through it while waiting on everything else, or open a dialogue with David Kee to have them do it.

kcmash
www.davidkeetoploaders.com, got a new kit that he makes for hurst shift linkage that's no longer made for my 63 galaxie, fit perfect, great quality.

Dave,

I would replace the front and rear seals. Pull the cover off and wash it out thoroughly and then put new grease back in. With the few miles on your car I don't think anything would be worn. If there is rust I would tear it down and clean in Molasses tank then put back together. Light rust will not hurt it and the molasses will get it off without blasting it.

By the way the DMV guy came this past week and checked out my cars. Send me your VIN# and he said he would see what he can find out. N.C. did put all previous records on micro film and he will see what he can find. They do not do this as a service but he is doing as a favor.

Told him you were unsure as to the mileage, I think it is low.

David
Thanks David.I will email a copy of the Martin report with the VIN. I appreciate your help tracking this.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Always get good advice here.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back