71 Coupe project car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omar1029

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang
Hi everyone. New here from Illinois. I just purchased this 71 coupe. What is your guys take or painting it another color other than the original? Original color is grabber blue. Not sure if I like this color or not. Would painting it a different color devalue the car? Open to suggestions, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5468.jpeg
    IMG_5468.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
I mean this in the nicest possible way. Paint color is the last thing you have to worry about right now devaluing that car. :D

But anyways, paint it whatever color you want. Not what you think the next owner will want. His opinion doesn't matter.

Hi everyone. New here from Illinois. I just purchased this 71 coupe. What is your guys take or painting it another color other than the original? Original color is grabber blue. Not sure if I like this color or not. Would painting it a different color devalue the car? Open to suggestions, thanks in advance.
Welcome Omar. Really happy you joined our forum! Depending on your goal for this Stang (driver, resto-mod, factory correct, etc.) would enter into the repaint color choice. I'm a big fan of Grabber Blue, but consider any color out there. Be sure to keep us posted as you progress on the project!

I mean this in the nicest possible way. Paint color is the last thing you have to worry about right now devaluing that car. :D

But anyways, paint it whatever color you want. Not what you think the next owner will want. His opinion doesn't matter.
Ha Thanks! I know the car needs work, but for the price I thinks it’s not bad. I figured I would get more satisfaction out of restoring it myself than buy it fixed with everything someone else wanted.

Ha Thanks! I know the car needs work, but for the price I thinks it’s not bad. I figured I would get more satisfaction out of restoring it myself than buy it fixed with everything someone
Welcome Omar. Really happy you joined our forum! Depending on your goal for this Stang (driver, resto-mod, factory correct, etc.) would enter into the repaint color choice. I'm a big fan of Grabber Blue, but consider any color out there. Be sure to keep us posted as you progress on the project!
Thank you! I will definitely show updates to get feedback and learn from this community!

Welcome from Chicago! I am in the southwest suburbs of Chicago, not far from Elgin. I agree 100% with you on getting satisfaction from restoring it yourself. I have built all of my toys myself, I always tear down to empty shells strip them to bare metal and then epoxy primer, body work and paint. That way I know exactly what's under that paint. I place a sticker in my car's window at car shows that says "built not bought"
As far as color choice, I paint my cars the color I like and don't worry myself about the original color. My 69 RS/SS 396 Camaro happened to be Lemans blue originally, but that is my favorite color for that car so I would have painted it Lemans blue either way. The 71 Mach that I am restoring now was Grabber blue when I bought it, but it was originally dark green metallic. I had a white 73 Mach in high school so I am painting it Wimbledon white because that is my favorite color for our cars. If I were you I would get a Marti report, that will tell you how it was originally built as far as options and what color it was originally. Maybe the original color is one that you will love and then you get the best of both worlds, original color and a color you love. Just make it yours and enjoy the journey.

Attachments

• Mach 1 100.jpg
    Mach 1 100.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 146.jpg
    Mach 1 146.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 637.jpg
    Mach 1 637.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 0
Welcome from Chicago! I am in the southwest suburbs of Chicago, not far from Elgin. I agree 100% with you on getting satisfaction from restoring it yourself. I have built all of my toys myself, I always tear down to empty shells strip them to bare metal and then epoxy primer, body work and paint. That way I know exactly what's under that paint. I place a sticker in my car's window at car shows that says "built not bought"
As far as color choice, I paint my cars the color I like and don't worry myself about the original color. My 69 RS/SS 396 Camaro happened to be Lemans blue originally, but that is my favorite color for that car so I would have painted it Lemans blue either way. The 71 Mach that I am restoring now was Grabber blue when I bought it, but it was originally dark green metallic. I had a white 73 Mach in high school so I am painting it Wimbledon white because that is my favorite color for our cars. If I were you I would get a Marti report, that will tell you how it was originally built as far as options and what color it was originally. Maybe the original color is one that you will love and then you get the best of both worlds, original color and a color you love. Just make it yours and enjoy the journey.
Thank you for the advice! A Mach 1 is my dream car but unfortunately my budget was not there for one. I found this coupe at a reasonable price so I decided to go for it. Really cool how you restore your cars. I’m sure that Mach1 will come out beautifully

How much did you give for the coupe? Is it rare ? If not color won’t hurt it much if any . Getting a Mach will cost more but will be worth more when finished. I just sold a rare Sprint coupe . I also have a rare Sprint sportsroof and in similar condition will bring a lot more money 💰 when done ✅

Sweet coupe! Welcome to the non-fastback club :cool: Our cars aren't in the tier where color affects value that much, so I'd say it's not a big deal. In 20-30 years when these cars are worth a huge amount (as most classics will by that point) then numbers matching it will probably be the way to go. But by that point, it'll probably need another paint job anyway.

Welcome from Missouri. Grabber blue looks great when new, not so much as it ages. I saw a picture of a white coupe, with a white vinyl top on this site that I thought was the best-looking coupe ever. Good luck and enjoy the car.

Welcome from Missouri. Grabber blue looks great when new, not so much as it ages. I saw a picture of a white coupe, with a white vinyl top on this site that I thought was the best-looking coupe ever. Good luck and enjoy the car.
Thank you. Yes I agree sometimes I see pictures of grabber blue mustangs and I like it other times not so much. I think it depends on the lighting.

T
Nice to see another coupe being done. Everyone wants a Mach. That’s why I prefer the coupe. Not everyone has one. Feel free to build and paint it as you want. Welcome to the forum and club
Thank you! Your coupe looks really nice definitely like that red.

I was thinking either Acapulco blue or a blue metallic
Cool. I have a 68 coupe that was originally Acapulco Blue until someone repainted it metallic green before I got it.

I'm wanting to paint my 73 soon as the current paint job was done by the PO in his garage and he didn't even open the doors. I am thinking about a very light ice metallic blue and tinting all the chrome trim dark charcoal.

Sweet coupe! Welcome to the non-fastback club :cool: Our cars aren't in the tier where color affects value that much, so I'd say it's not a big deal. In 20-30 years when these cars are worth a huge amount (as most classics will by that point) then numbers matching it will probably be the way to go. But by that point, it'll probably need another paint job anyway.
Thanks for the suggestion. Very nice color you have on yours. I was thinking maybe going something like that. Is yours Acapulco blue?

Back