71 Driveshaft paint stripes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1er-rob

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
71 Mach 1
I am looking for the paint stripe colors for a 71 M code 4 speed driveshaft. Anyone have a build sheet for this car or original driveshaft with paint stripes?

Hi Rob -

Welcome to the forum. Someone should be along shortly with some info. Meanwhile, please take a second to post up a short intro in the Introductions thread so we can give you a proper welcome. ::welcome::

I had looked over there already. The 351-4V uses a different driveshaft than the 429 and 351 Boss. Anyone know if that information is recorded somewhere?

I do not have any references for a M Code and 4 speed. Plenty of automatics to compare. Build Sheets are the only conclusive evidence and those are cryptic at best. If you cannot locate the original stripes on your shaft you are going to need to keep hunting.

Thanks for info. I have a driveshaft that is 5/8" shorter than what the Ford MPC states the 71 4 speed driveshaft should be. It appears to be the same length as a 70 4 speed driveshaft. I might be able to use it.

When we carefully media blasted our driveshaft with crushed glass we used lots of air and little media. It uncovered the stripes and they were the same as the 429 site stated. Same for the leaf springs and the differental. (Recycled crushed glass is a great grease and paint media and is $6 for 50 lbs)

Our car is a 71 M Code C6 Convert built December 1970 in Dearborn.

So far all of our various paint dabs and stripes match exactly what the 429 site shows. I am thinking this is more of a 71 thing than 429 specific items. We even found the mark the masking tape that held the build sheet on the radiator support made like the site says we should see.

Kind of fun - we are only taking the time to reproduce these marks and such because my shop has a lift which makes it easy and my 15 year old thinks it is cool. He is taking the pictures and figuring out how to recreate the marks. Rattle cans, testors model airplane paint, nail polish, wax pencils, whatever he thinks matches. I just watch.

Suprisingly it looks good.

I.E. for the phosphated items under the hood he painted them a flat machine grey and after they dried he wiped them down with PB Blaster. After that all dried or evaporated they became a perfect phosy match and will never rust - LOL.

For the zinc/gold cad parts he significatly thined some gold jewlery paint and just brushed it on. Again it looks correct.

He has removed and rattle canned all the underhood brake/gas lines a more glossy machine grey that is a close match to natural steel and painted the clips flat black. The best part is he is using cheap Lowe's rust proofing paint at 3 bucks a can and the other stuff we either had or was cheap at wally world.

He did use up all my PB blaster on the hood hinges so I made him by me a new can.

We might end up with a whole 20 bucks spent for this level of detail and I certainly think it will stand up to "judging".

My son made the comment that some of the "restored" pictures on the 429 site look a little unatural - almost like they tried too hard. This bugged him.

His focus is to make it fast and messy just like the factory would do.

If it does not look natural he just wipes it off and tries again.

He is having trouble finding the pale lime green paint for the steering box - it will be fun to see what he comes up with.

- Paul

Thanks for info. I have a driveshaft that is 5/8" shorter than what the Ford MPC states the 71 4 speed driveshaft should be. It appears to be the same length as a 70 4 speed driveshaft. I might be able to use it.

Paul

Good job for your son. I cannot begin to tell you how much time I have spent trying to replicate factory finishes. Eastwood has taken a good chunk out of my wallet for some of their rattle cans. I will need to try some of your son's techniques. Another practive I have heard for the phosphate is gun blueing and putting it on pretty heavy. Then use a PB Blaster like product and it helps to bring out the black. I used that on my leaf springs. Most you see on sites have them painted in in light gray which is not correct in my opinion.

Back