'71 Mach 1 rear axle removed today for service

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing there is a clause in there about participating in speed events, though. :)
Yes it does, no drag racing!!

Actually, I would be more worried about "Johnny Law" as we have a stupid "Stunt Driving" law in Ontario. Squealing tires could get the car impounded for a week and a fine. Speeding more than 50 Kms over the very low speed limits also gets you to walk for a week.

A little off topic with this question. Dont mean to hijack the thread. But.......... I thought this thread was on Axles?

I finally got my 9" axle back from the shop. They installed all new bearings, seals and 350 gears posi track. Is there somewhere I can have a axle tag made to match whats in there? I have steel stamp sets just thought I would like the original font.

A little off topic with this question. Dont mean to hijack the thread. But.......... I thought this thread was on Axles?

I finally got my 9" axle back from the shop. They installed all new bearings, seals and 350 gears posi track.  Is there somewhere I can have a axle tag made to match whats in there?  I have steel stamp sets just thought I would like the original font.
Rod

I think that Kevin Marti is offering Axle Tags too. 

Cheers Frank

I finally got my 9" axle back from the shop. They installed all new bearings, seals and 350 gears posi track.  Is there somewhere I can have a axle tag made to match whats in there?  I have steel stamp sets just thought I would like the original font.
 Hi machattack, no, you're not hijacking this thread, your question is most welcome. 

First, if I could have dropped 3.50 gears in to mine instead of the original 3.25 ring and pinion, I would have in a heart beat. You'll love that ratio I'm sure. Quicker acceleration and still pretty good mileage.To be a little critical, these are not "posi-track" diffs. that's a GM Chevy term, but often used as a generality. What you have is known as a Ford Traction-Loc differential. I'm sure you know that, just didn't say it.

As for tags, mine was missing too. It was evident the 3rd member  ( pumpkin, center section etc.) had been removed before for bearings from what was found and the tag was not replaced. That sucks because they're only original once. As Frank says, they can be remade at Marti Autoworks, but you need the factory info. Not only that, but these were reverse stamped, so ordinary stamps won't work if you want it looking correct. Besides they're quite expensive at about 55 bucks. If you have the build sheet, it will have the axle code, but that of course is for the original, so if you, like me, have changed out the gear set, it won't technically be correct. Mine for example is 955A for 3.25:1 open diff. There is also other details required, but I can find no reference to what that might be.

If I were to have a tag remade, it would be as the original, not what's in there now.

Thank you Frank and Geoff,

You make a good point on the tag. I believe I will get the new tag made as the original would be made. Then I will make the the other tag to state what is in there now for gearing. The axle shop that I took it to has been there since 1957. He wrote on my receipt Posy track. I chuckled then thinking he doesn't Know how to spell Posi . Now I wonder if he knows Chevy from Ford :-( The bill was pretty High I thought. Coming in at $1482.00 for a complete rebuild. Lucky I got a stimulus check.

You make a good point on the tag. I believe I will get the new tag made as the original would be made. Then I will make the the other tag to state what is in there now for gearing. The axle shop that I took it to has been there since 1957. He wrote on my receipt  Posy track. I chuckled then thinking he doesn't Know how to spell Posi . Now I wonder if he knows Chevy from Ford :-(  The bill was pretty High I thought. Coming in at $1482.00  for a complete rebuild.  Lucky I got a stimulus check.
Yeah that's funny on the "posi" bit! The guy who did mine calls his business "Bow-Tie Muscle" and he is a Chevy guy, BUT he has over 30 years rebuilding all makes and types and actually had all the bearings, seals etc. on hand for the Ford 9". He already had a "Traction-Loc" he made up for someone else who didn't come back for it, so he sold it to me half price.

I too thought the price was high enough, costing a total of a thousand bucks Canadian. I guess i should be happy.

I'm guessing there is a clause in there about participating in speed events, though. :)

Actually, I would be more worried about "Johnny Law" as we have a stupid "Stunt Driving" law in Ontario. Squealing tires could get the car impounded for a week and a fine. Speeding more than 50 Kms over the very low speed limits also gets you to walk for a week.
Those laws are by products of BIG government. They want everyone to be sheep and they want to be the only wolves. Just an opinion. Chuck

Those laws are by products of BIG government. They want everyone to be sheep and they want to be the only wolves. Just an opinion. Chuck
Chuck, there's NO DOUBT IN MY MIND!! The "Stunt Driving" law we have in Ontario was put in under the guise stopping side by side street racing as seen on TV. In actuality ANYBODY, even Grandma, can get ticketed for Stunt Driving. Squealing wheels, hard acceleration, more than 50 kph over posted speed limit and more. These are big fines and a cash cow. At least, several years ago, they got rid of Photo Radar in Ontario. By the way, to ANYBODY from the US coming into Ontario, be warned, leave your radar detector (and guns) at home. They're illegal here... damn it!

EDIT UPDATE: My daughter just shared a Facebook post. On the Hwy 417 last night (18th), a guy in a Challenger Hellcat blew a rear tire (just after passing a cruiser ) at 270 kph or 168 mph. Fortunately he did not crash and minimal damage to the car. He lost his car and license for 1 week, charged with accessible marijuana (it's legal here) . His day in court is yet to come, poor bastard!

Oh, Marijuana may be legal in Canada, but don't bring any with you across the border....... when it finally reopens!

Last edited by a moderator:

You make a good point on the tag. I believe I will get the new tag made as the original would be made. Then I will make the the other tag to state what is in there now for gearing. The axle shop that I took it to has been there since 1957. He wrote on my receipt  Posy track. I chuckled then thinking he doesn't Know how to spell Posi . Now I wonder if he knows Chevy from Ford :-(  The bill was pretty High I thought. Coming in at $1482.00  for a complete rebuild.  Lucky I got a stimulus check.
Yeah that's funny on the "posi" bit! The guy who did mine calls his business "Bow-Tie Muscle" and he is a Chevy guy, BUT he has over 30 years rebuilding all makes and types and actually had all the bearings, seals etc. on hand for the Ford 9". He already had a "Traction-Loc" he made up for someone else who didn't come back for it, so he sold it to me half price.

I too thought the price was high enough, costing a total of a thousand bucks Canadian. I guess i should be happy.
I hear a bunch about ford friction modifier for limited slip diffs so.......get that . What 80-90 brand gear oil would be best? No synthetics.

I hear a bunch about ford friction modifier for limited slip diffs so.......get that . What 80-90 brand gear oil would be best? No synthetics.
 I use Valvoline 80-90 non synthetic with FORD friction modifier. Damn, that stuff stinks, don't get it on hands or clothes!! I used 1 bottle. I have only driven the car once, so I've not had a chance to really listen for clicking sounds or any other nasty noises. It may need another 1/2 bottle, we'll see.

As I have a 4 speed car, I use the same Valvoline in the gearbox. There are many good brands out there, but locally Valvoline is easiest to get.

Back