71 Mustang Gets Explorer drive train!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegasmax1969

Reaction score
My Car
Explorer drive train
I am removing the darg racing engine, transmission and rear end and selling, runs great. BUT putting the 'Stang back on the street to drive and enjoy Crusing.

Just purchased a Mercury Mountaineer complete UN-molested. Everything is here and intact. car runs and drives 200000 miles and getting ready to remove the current Mustang's drive train. The Mustang has been in the family for over 50 years! A 302 2v three speed, but been on the drag strip and cars shows over the years. Sell: 351 Cleveland 4bbl engine. Heads reworked with valves, screw in studs, springs , roller rockers and locks. Cam is a Herbert solid lift cam and worked well. The transmission is a built C6 with a smaller stall convertor, rear end is a 9" with a spool and 5:38 gears. Selling all the hot Rod Performance stuff once I have everything removed and ready to start selling. I am in Plainview Texas just for a heads up on the location of all this stuff. I know what it cost to do all of this but I want to sell for a fair price to put that monies back into this new rebuild. My Plans; Completely rebuild the engine nothing radical, bore if necessary, add a small hydraulic cam, new bearing,pump all the necessary parts internally. Keep it fuel injected might swap out intake manifold,power coat the accessory brackets, intake manifold, add headers maybe shorties not sure yet,keep the serpentine belt set up with the reverse rotation water pump and factory plastic fan. Factory ECU with programming for the new ride. Add power steering box and keep the current power steering pump. Also add a Classic Auto Air conditioner and keep the same A/C Compressor (may buy a new one) Of course a dual piston Power Brake kit for the front and install the 8.8 3:73 Rear axle with disc brakes and Posi-traction. EFI pump in the tank and do some mods on the 4R70W and add a custom Console. It will be a excellent dependable build once completed stay tuned for up dates this summer & Fall. Thanks

Sounds like a big undertaking but a solid plan. We have a few members here that have done similar swaps, maybe not complete powertrain/driveline, but individually. Several AOD/AODE/4R70W swaps and a few Explorer 8.8 and disc brake swaps. Those that have done these will most likely chime in if you have questions. @Steve McMahan did a similar engine and AOD swap with his '73 with good results. I think he used a T-Bird for his donor.
When the time comes, be sure to list your for sale items in the classifieds. It may help some of us keep our cars going!

Welcome from SW Ontario, Canada.
It sounds like the original, well not THE original engine, and drive train are not too far from a classic Mustang set up. SO, why not just rework and detune what's there for street driving?. At least then when you open the hood, it looks like a Mustang!
That's just my thoughts, but your car, your way.
Pictures would be nice too, we love pictures.

EDIT: At least you're not putting a Chevy LS motor in it!! THAT would be sacrilege.

Last edited:
Welcome from So Cal. Hey, sounds like you’re on the same swap track as I did over the last 2 years. It took me that long because I had to learn how to do the EFI wiring. A few early things to note; get the Ford Electrical and Vacuum manual, the paper one, for the donor vehicle. Also, get the best you can for your Stang. Also, try and use as much of the donor cars parts, as they were designed to be used. I also put system components as close to their original location to make the wiring even easier. And don’t leave stuff off, like the impact sensor for the fuel pump. There are generous craftsmen on this site: I couldn’t have complete this project without them. Good luck.

Thanks guys for all the feedback on the 71 Mustang swap. Well, I did a similar more intense swap 8 years ago. I did this on a 54 Ford for a 86 year old woman. Yea, she didn't want a new car so I fixed here nice 54 2door sedan with everything. But I had to use bits form several Explorers. And it was extra bit of a pain. Car is a daily driver and it's sad she has since passed and her son still drives it. He is a link of the results of that build. I added rack and pinion power steering (I built myself) Power front disc brakes, 1992 8.8 ranger read end hard to find a 8.8 in the ranger, reworked the 4R70W with J-mod I did all it myself as well, Vintage air unit with different vents from another vendor, trick was to retail the horn button as the wire runs through the center of the steering shaft, New Port Electric Wipers, USA-1 Radio, Retained factory gauges and speedometer and shifter, EFI fuel tank for a 56 Ford I modified, Complete rewired the car and lights replaced headlights with relays,Headers, dual exhaust, Engine rebuilt all stock no performance stuff,US Radiators Super Flow radiator, notice the air cleaner/filter is hidden, I powder coated all the brackets, intake manifold,valve covers. Here is a link I did a lot and everything work as it should very dependable has the OBDII port has custom tune with some stuff deleted, also not location of the ECM. Thanks for looking watch link, others on youtube as well.

Welcome to the community! Start a build thread and we'll follow along. What is the drag combination you're removing?
351 Cleveland 12;1 pistons, balanced lot of head work, screw in ARP studs,roller rockers and locks, solid camshaft Herbert,Headers,C-6, Single 4bbl Holley, Electronic distributor, 9" with spool 5:38 gears . Selling Everything! That is not stock! Shifter,Tach, Fuel pump everything once it's been removed. Haven't started doing that as of date. Location: Plainview,Texas.

Welcome from SW Ontario, Canada.
It sounds like the original, well not THE original engine, and drive train are not too far from a classic Mustang set up. SO, why not just rework and detune what's there for street driving?. At least then when you open the hood, it looks like a Mustang!
That's just my thoughts, but your car, your way.
Pictures would be nice too, we love pictures.

EDIT: At least you're not putting a Chevy LS motor in it!! THAT would be sacrilege.
Hard to de-tune 12;1 Compression and 5:38 gears. When finished this car will be very desirable in every way. It will preform very well and run very good and be able to travel very long distances with ease. it will have 4 wheel disc brakes,A/C, P/S, 4R70W Overdrive transmission and have cruise control as well. Had this car over 50 years! It looks like new inside and out and well maintained. I posted a video of a 54 Ford I did and what a difference. It will be much better than when the car was new. Thanks

Thanks guys for all the feedback on the 71 Mustang swap. Well, I did a similar more intense swap 8 years ago. I did this on a 54 Ford for a 86 year old woman. Yea, she didn't want a new car so I fixed here nice 54 2door sedan with everything. But I had to use bits form several Explorers. And it was extra bit of a pain. Car is a daily driver and it's sad she has since passed and her son still drives it. He is a link of the results of that build. I added rack and pinion power steering (I built myself) Power front disc brakes, 1992 8.8 ranger read end hard to find a 8.8 in the ranger, reworked the 4R70W with J-mod I did all it myself as well, Vintage air unit with different vents from another vendor, trick was to retail the horn button as the wire runs through the center of the steering shaft, New Port Electric Wipers, USA-1 Radio, Retained factory gauges and speedometer and shifter, EFI fuel tank for a 56 Ford I modified, Complete rewired the car and lights replaced headlights with relays,Headers, dual exhaust, Engine rebuilt all stock no performance stuff,US Radiators Super Flow radiator, notice the air cleaner/filter is hidden, I powder coated all the brackets, intake manifold,valve covers. Here is a link I did a lot and everything work as it should very dependable has the OBDII port has custom tune with some stuff deleted, also not location of the ECM. Thanks for looking watch link, others on youtube as well.

Very nice job retrofitting all that into the 54! Clean!

Tried to find more on your rear end swap. I am using a 99 Ford Explorer rear end into a 71 Mustang, questions is about the fit and your suggestions. This is just a daily driver. Questions link spring perches, Spring width, overall width fit and the clearance between the spring and calipers.
Suggestions helpful as well. Thanks in Advance

Latest posts

Back