• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

'71 Toploader - RUG-AW1 Wide Ratio

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 convertible
Ignore the tag number in the title! I am looking for RUG-AV1

Looking for a complete, rebuilt or rebuildable '71 wide ratio toploader.  I'm located in SE Minnesota, but can travel to pick up a good part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a couple top loaders for sale near me, not sure they are what you are looking for. I do not know the people or anything about them.

https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/pts/d/vintage-ford-mustang-top/6627725858.html

https://quadcities.craigslist.org/pts/d/1970-boss-302-top-loader/6641029278.html
 I'm not an expert, but to me reading the bottom ad, boss 302 top loader, it's a load of BS. He's trying to get higher than top buck for a questionable gear box.

I definitely could be wrong, but my 71 is a wide ratio with 3.25:1 open dif. The 351 4V, according to Kevin Marti's tag book, lists both wide and close ratio. For the 70 302 Boss it also list both wide and close ratio, 2.32 4 spd RUG-AW or AW1 and 2.78 4 spd RUG-AV or AV1.  I'm assuming the AW1 or AV1 are tater in the model year as these are listed for the 71's. The 71 Boss list a RUG-BJ and the 71 351CJ list AV1 or BJ. I see no correlation between gear box ratio and rear end ratio in this book.

Buyer beware!

Looking for a complete, rebuilt or rebuildable '71 wide ratio toploader.  I'm located in SE Minnesota, but can travel to pick up a good part.
Mike, I know it's in Ontario Canada, but I know of a complete 4 speed top loader with 71 flat stick shifter and linkage, bell housing, clutch, fork etc. I tried in vain to get the shifter off him but he'll only sell complete. He's asking 1200 CANADIAN!! so about 850 US. It came out of a car that was upgraded to a Tremec 5 speed.

PM me if interested and I'll find out if it's still available, which I think it is.

Geoff.

Back