'72 fastback trapdoor, fold down seat help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks as if someone tried converting Danno's car from a fixed seat to a fold-down, and didn't quite realize what they got into until they chopped off the rear seat support.

This is what it's supposed to look like, along with the package tray support:

71_mustang_70.jpg

-Kurt

It certainly does look like that was not originally a fold down rear seat. Hopefully you can fabricate the missing parts. The earlier shots I posted shown what they should look like.
THAT makes my day, for sure.....what are my options now? Is it savable without too much work? If I continue with the rear seat etc like it is what do I need to do? I am working from the trunk to the front, (methodically, because of the weather and I have the car backed in to the garage)). I thought that interior cosmetics were all I had to deal with. I know I have a very noisy front end, squeaks and groans, but that I can handle. I want to keep moving forward in the car, putting this on the back burner for now and address the minimal rust on the floors and start to reinstall the interior. Are these missing supports a "big deal"?

Looks as if someone tried converting Danno's car from a fixed seat to a fold-down, and didn't quite realize what they got into until they chopped off the rear seat support.

This is what it's supposed to look like, along with the package tray support:

71_mustang_70.jpg

-Kurt
I am missing the package tray support and the seat back support. Now at least I know what I am dealing with. What is the curved trim panel that is just below the window called........that is gone too. Are the tray support and seat back support one piece?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am missing the package tray support and the seat back support. Now at least I know what I am dealing with. What is the curved trim panel that is just below the window called........that is gone too. Are the tray support and seat back support one piece?
Not sure what the steel back end of the package tray is called, but Don at OMS should be able to hook you up with everything, along with the proper non-folding seat setup.

You should be able to recoup some of your expenses by selling off the retracting seat assembly.

I don't remember exactly if the package tray is one piece or not, but it is welded to the inner fenders. You should be able to find your answer in the seat conversion thread: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-converting-from-regular-to-fold-down-rear-seats?highlight=fold+down

Again, Don is the fellow to speak with for the replacement sheet metal. No repops for this.

-Kurt

Not sure what the steel back end of the package tray is called, but Don at OMS should be able to hook you up with everything, along with the proper non-folding seat setup.

You should be able to recoup some of your expenses by selling off the retracting seat assembly.

Thanks, I looked at the thread you mentioned.....WAYYYYY beyond my expertise at this point. I am still looking for more options, and still wondering what was going through the PO's mind when he started cutting........

I don't remember exactly if the package tray is one piece or not, but it is welded to the inner fenders. You should be able to find your answer in the seat conversion thread: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-converting-from-regular-to-fold-down-rear-seats?highlight=fold+down

Again, Don is the fellow to speak with for the replacement sheet metal. No repops for this.

-Kurt

Danno,

Take a deep breath! Look, if you have the parts for the fold down seats, I can help with the frame around it. The 2 pieces you really need to find is the bottom support that the door hinge and trim screws to that welds to the trunk floor and the smaller cover that inserts under the window. The sides you can fabricated relatively easy. Give Don at OMS a PM and see if maybe he has any parts available. We'll get you where you want to go.

Danno,

Take a deep breath! Look, if you have the parts for the fold down seats, I can help with the frame around it. The 2 pieces you really need to find is the bottom support that the door hinge and trim screws to that welds to the trunk floor and the smaller cover that inserts under the window. The sides you can fabricated relatively easy. Give Don at OMS a PM and see if maybe he has any parts available. We'll get you where you want to go.
Thanks, I will do that.............

Back