73 Convertible 429 swap questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertable
Original 6 cylinder car which likely came through with FMX? trans and 8 inch rear. Should I get an auto C6 from a 351 Cleveland car and will that same drive shaft work with the big block?

Thanks, Chet

Original 6 cylinder car which likely came through with FMX? trans and 8 inch rear. Should I get an auto C6 from a 351 Cleveland car and will that same drive shaft work with the big block?

Thanks, Chet
The cleveland uses a small block bell housing bolt pattern. It will not bolt to a 429. You need a big block C6 which can be sourced from a vehicle originally equipped with a 351M, 400, 429 or 460. All big block C6's are not created equal however. They were equipped with at least 3 different tailshaft lengths and a couple of different yoke configurations so you really need to do your homework.

You will need to measure for the driveshaft once you have installed the tranny. There are to many variables to predict whether or not it will work.

The 8 inch rear will work for a while.:angel:

Thanks Tommy, As luck would have it I already have a C6 that came from a late model Econoline van witch most likely was mated to a 351M.

Can I IM you for more questions about frame mounts, engine mounts and insulators?

Hopefully the C6 will still have its tin ID tag attached. That will contain the pertinent info as to exactly where it came from, its vintage, etc. It will make life much easier.

Make sure the tag stays with the trans.

Thanks Tommy, As luck would have it I already have a C6 that came from a late model Econoline van witch most likely was mated to a 351M.

Can I IM you for more questions about frame mounts, engine mounts and insulators?
Sure

I used my original driveshaft when I did my 429 swap. Car was originally 351c c6. Did not have to cut it.

Hi everybody, I'm a new user to 7173 stangs and I joined to hopefully have some questions answered and see some cool rides. I'm posting here because I recently acquired a 73 rag which already has a 429 CJ, built c4 and a 9" posi with 2.70 gears. My first question is this, the car has I believe a set of Hooker headers which are a 2 piece design that partially runs under the control arms, I saw that there are a set of Headman headers (part # 85200) available from Summit and I am wondering if anyone has used these in conjunction with a 73 convertible 429 build? Thanks!

0416151353d.jpg

Hi everybody, I'm a new user to 7173 stangs and I joined to hopefully have some questions answered and see some cool rides. I'm posting here because I recently acquired a 73 rag which already has a 429 CJ, built c4 and a 9" posi with 2.70 gears. My first question is this, the car has I believe a set of Hooker headers which are a 2 piece design that partially runs under the control arms, I saw that there are a set of Headman headers (part # 85200) available from Summit and I am wondering if anyone has used these in conjunction with a 73 convertible 429 build? Thanks!
Welcome to the site from Virginia. Please post up an introduction thread so you can get a proper greeting from all our members.

Hey 73429mach, Which donor vehicle did the C6 come from that you used for your 429 swap?

Latest posts

Back