73 font bumper repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
I was just wondering if this is a semi easily repairable bumper? If I had to guess I would think not on the easy part but I've been wrong before.

I'm looking at getting a used bumper.

large crack

100_4397.jpg

small crack

100_4404.jpg

Since I was taking pictures of the front I thought I'd add a little teaser for you guys.

100_4390.jpg

Thanks for the link. Among further inspection of these cracks I notice there is rust underneath them, my biggest concern is that the metal brace under the urethane will rust out. Is this a possibility?

I'm not familiar with the 73 front bumper design but i've red here before that the urethane bumpers are repairable only if the metal structure they have inside is not rusted and that provoque the rubber crack...

I fixed small dents in my 72 one, using just a good primmer with a flex additive and just applying enough times to cover the dent..

Guys here know a bunch of products you can get to fix the urethane crack... Good luck!

I think my best option will be to take the bumper off and look at it closely.

Any comments or questions about my grille idea?

We post at the same time... Well... If you hace rust underneath the rubber, i suggest you try to kill it first somehow... Maybe phosforic acid? I use it here and there and it doesnt attack rubber...

That should solve the problem till you get a better one at least, besides, if the metal is not in contact with air, rust dont progress so, a good fix to the rubber can be helpful too...

A last muniré idea if the rust is not so advenced is some rust converter paint...

We post at the same time... Well... If you hace rust underneath the rubber, i suggest you try to kill it first somehow... Maybe phosforic acid? I use it here and there and it doesnt attack rubber...

That should solve the problem till you get a better one at least, besides, if the metal is not in contact with air, rust dont progress so, a good fix to the rubber can be helpful too...

A last muniré idea if the rust is not so advenced is some rust converter paint...
I'll look into the phosphoric acid.

Thanks for the help

I like the grill.

Ray has a 73 bumper & support arms for sale if yours is shot. Tell him I sent you to his door.

Thanks Don!

Brackets are sold - shipping out tomorrow.

Still have bumper. $200.00 plus shipping

30tkkci.jpg

s5lg2g.jpg

250nq4p.jpg

I like the grill.

Ray has a 73 bumper & support arms for sale if yours is shot. Tell him I sent you to his door.

I like the grill. Custom made or adapted from another vehicle?
It's going to be adapted. I'm not sure what car it actually goes to but it was free and looks pretty good. I still don't know how exactly I'm going to mount it, I was thinking of cutting it to fit in a Mach 1 grille but I don't have one to fiddle with.

Latest posts

Back