73 motor mounts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the problem u have is the same one i have.. first the '73 mounts are made. they are called "clam shells" mounts. and are around $150/pr. the problem u might have is if u are using a fan shroud. there are 2 different frame mounts too.. tall and short. i haven't found who or where to look to get that measurement on frame mounts. u can use the older engine mounts but u may need to shim the engine up 3/4" or so. It's the fan shroud that is the problem if u change.. if u remove it, then it's no problem.
I have never changed mine on my 73 vert but if I recall correctly they are unique to the vert in 73. Are they available?

Anyone come up with a good solution for shot 73 motor mounts since they are one year only and not produced? Can you make 71-72 mounts work??
There are a few places that make repros of the 73 captive mounts. I don't know much about them. Below is a picture comparing the 73 vs 73 mounts and a part number for a repros. Hope it helps.

best online image hosting

All,

According to the Prothane Catalog, the 6-1904 fits mustang 69-73. It would be highly recommended to call their Tech Support on this one. I went with the 1971-1972 frame mount for my 1973 Coupe and stashed the originals back. The Prothane 71-72 engine mounts work fine.

mustang7173

I have a set of metal perches and motor mounts marked "1973 Convertible - good".  They are captive style - 4 pieces all together, no bolts.

We are doing a 71 and do not need these.  

Have no idea what they are worth.  Would like to get a fair price but do not want to charge someone on this site full retail either.  (I really hate ebay)

We are inventorying everything 71-73 related and have duplicates and triplicates of nearly everything.  Post up needs with pictures if possible and I will see what I can do.

Thanks!

Paul

Paul,

Tried to PM you on the brackets. Your PM box is full and will not accept any more. Please get in touch with your price for a pair of the mounts. I have two 73 verts and no spares. I guess 73 does not go bad as easy also.

2 months and still waiting on mine from mustangsetc.com.   can't seem to get a response to my e-mails either.
Got mine back this week. Quality is good and motor is happy.

Paul, Do you still have those 73 vert motor mounts available?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - we still have them.  The metal stands that bolt to the chassis and the motor mounts that bolt to the stands.

I will go dig them out.   I will accept any reasonable offer.  

Thanks!

- Paul

Since reading up on this thread , I have been thinking it all over.

Stock mounts on my 1971 fb and running 351C with toploader.

I have had issues with the 71-72 mount on 3 different occasions.

1971 cougar 351 4v with toploader rh failure.

1976 cougar with transplanted 351 c 4v and 71-72 type mount rh failure

1971 (current ) fb 351 c 4v toploader came to me with a rh failure and busted up

radiator shroud.

So I have the 1973 Mach (donor car) and it does have the 1973 type mounts and perches.

have not measured anything as of yet, but the perches are definitely lower.

Can I swap them out as a whole and end up with the superior mount ? and will the engine sit at the original height ?. (don't want to have rad shroud issues.

boilermaster

Yes it should sit at the same height. I did the reverse swap putting 71-72 perches and 71-72 mounts in my 73 and the engine sits at the same height as it did with the old 73 perches and 73 mounts.

The 73 captive mount is designed to keep the engine in place should the insulator break. That should be an improvement over the 71-72 mounts.

Decades ago when I had my '72 Mach 1, I had frequent right side motor mount failures as well. My solution then was to bolt a small piece of chain between the motor and frame at the motor mount. Just enough slack in the tension that the motor mount could dampen vibration, but tight enough that the engine couldn't flex far enough to rip the rubber. Worked great and never had another one fail. I had that car for 14 years.

Steve

The chain is great idea used by most drag racers back in the day. We use to also drill a hole and add a bolt through the mount as a limiter on the flex. Use a nyloc nut so you leave some slack to allow for engine vibration. You can do some pretty big damage when the R.H. breaks and engine torques over. Can even break trans mount.

Yes - we still have them.  The metal stands that bolt to the chassis and the motor mounts that bolt to the stands.

I will go dig them out.   I will accept any reasonable offer.  

Thanks!

- Paul
Paul,

Could not PM you. Can you tell me how to reach you or you can email me at [email protected] regarding the 73 Motor mounts. Thanks

Hi All, not sure if this thread is still alive? Trying to source these mounts from Australia without much luck. Having to send them for refurb to and from the USA is a rigmarole.

Is there anyone who makes the clam shell/captive 'one-year-only' mount?

These ones (link here) from the Torino/Ranchero look the same - does anyone know if they're the same?

Hi All, not sure if this thread is still alive? Trying to source these mounts from Australia without much luck. Having to send them for refurb to and from the USA is a rigmarole.

Is there anyone who makes the clam shell/captive 'one-year-only' mount?

These ones (link here) from the Torino/Ranchero look the same - does anyone know if they're the same?

The 72- Torino/Montego mounts are not the same as the 73 Mustang/Cougar.

Back