9" 31 spline track look rear axles...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

Just curious for those with extensive experience re: the '71 rear/axles listed here. Just finished the re & re of the axle bearings and seals on my project. Ran into a bit of an issue with the small collar (the one that is almost the same width as the axle itself) that is located in front of the bearing and its retainer on the axle. Initially, I was told that most of these axles did not come with this small collar, the seal sat directly on the axle. Clearly, this would not have worked for me, as the seal required the collar for a proper fit. Trying to locate replacement collars was fruitless in my area. Fortunately, we were able to get the collars off and then reuse them once the new bearings were in place. Can someone comment on these particular axles and explain if there are different versions out there for our cars when referencing the use of these small seal collars. These were the original axles to my car, just happy to have the issue sorted out and everything reinstalled again. Cheers.

Last edited:
Just curious for those with extensive experience re: the '71 rear/axles listed here. Just finished the re & re of the axle bearings and seals on my project. Ran into a bit of an issue with the small collar (the one that is almost the same width as the axle itself) that is located in front of the bearing and its retainer on the axle. Initially, I was told that most of these axles did not come with this small collar, the seal sat directly on the axle. Clearly, this would not have worked for me, as the seal required the collar for a proper fit. Trying to locate replacement collars was fruitless in my area. Fortunately, we were able to get the collars off and then reuse them once the new bearings were in place. Can someone comment on these particular axles and explain if there are different versions out there for our cars when referencing the use of these small seal collars. These were the original axles to my car, just happy to have the issue sorted out and everything reinstalled again. Cheers.
Only used on all 31 spline axles

Thx. Answers that query... Can these be ordered for replacement purposes? If so, where and what are they referred to as?

Pastel Blue, good to hear your now asking these type of questions. Show's the wheels of progress are slowly grinding forward!

Ford's official nomenclature was: sleeve-rear axle shaft seal. Was used on 67/ Fairlane/Torino, Mustang, and sister Mercury cars with the 9" 31 spline and T'Bird's with 9 3/4" differential. Ford part# C7OZ-4A300-A. I ran into this when I was drag racing and switched my Pewter Mach1 over to the 31 spline set up. Then everything was available from Ford. While no longer available from Ford you might be able to find these at some parts stores by application or crossing the Ford number. I did see where one company shows it in their product line. Not cheap, but I'm sure you've heard that before! http://www.mustangsetc.com/9-31-spline-rear-axle-seal-sleeve/

Pastel Blue, good to hear your now asking these type of questions. Show's the wheels of progress are slowly grinding forward!

Ford's official nomenclature was: sleeve-rear axle shaft seal. Was used on 67/ Fairlane/Torino, Mustang, and sister Mercury cars with the 9" 31 spline and T'Bird's with 9 3/4" differential. Ford part# C7OZ-4A300-A. I ran into this when I was drag racing and switched my Pewter Mach1 over to the 31 spline set up. Then everything was available from Ford. While no longer available from Ford you might be able to find these at some parts stores by application or crossing the Ford number. I did see where one company shows it in their product line. Not cheap, but I'm sure you've heard that before! http://www.mustangsetc.com/9-31-spline-rear-axle-seal-sleeve/
Secluff, thx. Actually, I put this query forward to seek info for others as I had resolved the issue and wanted to get some answers out there for future reference. I felt that there was some confusion on the issue based on my experience, so it would be good to illicit conversation... Good to know there are some sources still out there to get this piece should the need arise. I am not against asking questions, even if I think I know the answer, it is always good to get other perspectives, we can still seek new knowledge moving forward. Cheers

Back