99 mountaineer 5.0 into 72 mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is a 700 to much? I already have a 750 double pumper but from what I've read the 750 would be to much. I have my eye on a 670 street avenger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks For the input. Ive got my eye on a holley 650 dp. Friday i will be picking up a 8.8 3.73 limited slip, disc brake rear end out of a 99 mountaineer. Actually the same mountaineer i got the motor from. Anyway getting it for $150 going to be doing the swap slowy but will get it done. I have a c4 right now and on the hunt for a good low miles t5 trans i figure might as well do it all while its all apart. Any input will be appreciated. I have done alot of reading on it the rear end swap shouldn't be to bad. If anyone has some input on things i may not be expecting fill free to chime in. Thanks in advance

Thanks For the input. Ive got my eye on a holley 650 dp. Friday i will be picking up a 8.8 3.73 limited slip, disc brake rear end out of a 99 mountaineer.  Actually the same mountaineer i got the motor from.  Anyway getting it for $150 going to be doing the swap slowy but will get it done. I have a c4 right now and on the hunt for a good low miles t5 trans i figure might as well do it all while its all apart. Any input will be appreciated. I have done alot of reading on it the rear end swap shouldn't be to bad. If anyone has some input on things i may not be expecting fill free to chime in. Thanks in advance
I put the same rear end in my car probably 10-12 years ago. If you have any questions let me know. There’s a lot of info on here about the swap.

Thanks alot. I have a 8 inch with 2.79s right now. The 3.73s should be fun. I will look for some info on the swap here.

Can I just hook up alternator from the 99 5.0 to the wiring that was on the older alternator?

Anyone know if the power steering hoses from the 99 5.0 will hook right up to my 72 mustang without getting new hoses?

To your first question, about alternators. No, you cannot use the original '72 wiring. The alternator that comes with the '99 Mountaineer is what is called a 3G alternator, much higher output, plus it uses an internal voltage regulator. The power wire has to be upgraded to a larger size and a fuse has to be installed. You can see a wiring diagram in this thread, and compare it to the stock diagrams.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-alternator-and-regulator-wiring?pid=320622#pid320622

For your second question, I don't know, but it would be easy enough to measure the sizes of the ones that are on your car and the sizes of the ones on the new engine.

Thanks i thought i read something like that about the alternator. Good idea i will measure next chance i get. I may convert to v belt then can't seem to find a 50oz v belt balancer. Would the 69 v belt crankshaft pulley fit the explorer 5.0?

I don't know if the older pulley would fit, or not, but I doubt it, I believe the bolt circle diameter is different. Plus, I don't know why you would want to change to a v-belt. Most people are looking for ways to change to a serpentine system. You would also have to find a water pump pulley that has the correct offset. If your PS hoses are in good condition it wouldn't be that expensive to have the correct fittings installed on your hoses by a hydraulic hose shop, or a parts store that does them. It may also be possible to just get adapter fittings. You can also get the correct hoses and fittings from the salvage yard and have the hoses made up using your fittings for the box and the Mountaineer fitting for the pump.

You only need one hose, the pressure hose. The 72 return hose can be adapted to the 99 reservoir. Bring your 72 hose to a hydraulic shop and have them make up a new one with the correct fitting, or they might even have an adapter.

Regarding the balancer, you should be fine with the one on the engine if you plan on using 72 pulleys, as long as it has a removable crank pulley. If not, get one from a 5.0 Mustang, say 89 or so. Those have a 4 bolt damper and it should be extremely close to working with the 72 302 front dress. Rock auto has remans for under $50.

Thanks. Found a clutch, brake pedal assembly out of a 88 for 25 bucks. Will it work with the moderndriveline clutch kit? Or do i need to get their clutch pedal as well? If so does it work with the automatic pedal that i already have in the car

88 parts are not compatible with the 71-73. Repop pedals and parts are available. You'll need to install the clutch pedal bushings in your pedal support. You can re-use the current auto pedal, just trim the pad down to the standard trans brake pedal width.

71-73clutch.pdf

Attachments

• 71-73clutch.pdf
    212.8 KB
Thanks for all the help. The 5.0 and t5 are in the car. Making crossmember for t5 tomorrow. Running a 650 dp anybody care to reccomend a good electric fuel pump that wont break the bank? Thanks in advance

Very happy with the swap the modern driveline clutch pedal/cable kit is awesome. Also i went with jba1650s-2 shortys the ones for the gt40ps. The last header bolt above #8 is a real pain. Had to shim up the driver side of the motor to clear the steering box. Into a x pipe, dynomax bullets, over the axle and out the back. 2.5 inch. Using same driveshaft and starter that was used with c4. That starter gave out so i ended up with 2 that made a crazy loud whirling noise. So i put in the starter that was in the motor when i pulled from junkyard. Looks like a mini torque not sure but changed around some wires and now it sound great so quiet. Went with elderbrock avs 2 650  no complains there. Now im trying to figure how to use the orignal fuel gauge without the cluster i've done some testing but i only get full tank on the gauge. Thinking i may look for an aftermarket.

Got rid off the hei dizzy, i re stabbed the hei several times trying to place it where i could adjust the timing as needed but never could get enough space between the weiand steatlhs big front runner and my where the fitting for the water jacketlol. I didnt want to drain coolant and change the fitting. So i put in a durapark dizzy from a 85 gt with a manual trans. Intalled msd digital 6al at first it was blinking 5 times with key on. So i followed the manual and grounded the grey wire for 5 secs and no longer than 10 then turn car off and back on. Had to do it a few times lol but it worked the led started glowing and next time i tried to crank.she fired right up. F.y.i the hei was an efi to carb conversion distributor that has the longer shaft it worked with my 99 mountaineer 5.0 motor and so does duraspark. I have only went up the road with this new setup but oil pressure is same as it normally is. Putting this here because i read and read and dont always find what im looking for so maybe all this will help a poor soul up late at night reading searching for answers ha.

Back