A Spin on Graphics

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Coupe
Built 306ci, Nitrous,
Modded C4, 9" rear w/4.57s
So this idea began some time ago when I wanted a different graphic for my Mustang but wanted something tasteful and with a factory-like appearance.  As we know, it was quite common for musclecars to advertise their engine size on the car, and I particularly liked those that had it in large script on the hood, like what you might find on a '70 Mach 1 351 or '71 Duster 340. A while back I put my own slant on the hockey stripe and thought it worked well, so I figured I'd vinyl wrap my fiberglass hood and try out my decal idea.

I have a new appreciation for those that wrap cars for a living because it took me 3 hours to wrap my hood. The hardest part was getting around all the contours of the scoops successfully. I wrapped the entire hood in black (kinda that Boss 351 feel) except i went with gloss, then added the graphic I had been tossing around in my head to pop against the sea of black.  I wanted something that didn't draw too much attention but stood out and complimented the car.  I'm pleased with the final results, as I think the engine graphic 'fits' and looks like something the factory could have offered on 71-73s.  

Thanks guys, I drove the car last Saturday night to the John Wick 3 movie and had a couple (who drove in with a hopped up Challenger) stand around my '71 admiring it for quite some time. Fortunately my Mustang didn't start life as a low production, rare, high optioned car, so over the years I've been able to put my personal touches on it to make it mine.

!!**Movie Spoiler alert**!!   -No Classic Mustang in the new movie ::shrug::

Fortunately my Mustang didn't start life as a low production, rare, high optioned car, so over the years I've been able to put my personal touches on it to make it mine.
It's an "excuse" I often read to prevent being lynched in public by purists. To me, you do not have to justify that you can be creative only because your car isn't rare.

My 71 is relatively rare and fairly optioned, but that was 50 years ago.

Right now, it's a rusty car saved from the crusher that I hope get back to a healthy condition. As the car as no value to me that can be expressed in money, it's all about making it my car, not trying to follow what Ford did to the letter, especially where they used cheap stuffs. Also on this side of the pond, it would be crazy expensive to even try. Not to mention it would be a bad investment as in past 2 years I saw rare BB models stay forever for sale and ended up being sold just bits higher than "regular" models in good shape and well optioned.

We're not talking destructive body changes here, just about stickers and paint colour/masks patterns. After all the work I put into it, I really want it to be a tad different, yet in respect with period styling.

What you did is a good example of what can be done, a tiny elegant detail that visually makes your car unique. 

No reason to use that excuse again. It's tasteful and it's yours!

Fortunately my Mustang didn't start life as a low production, rare, high optioned car, so over the years I've been able to put my personal touches on it to make it mine.
........After all the work I put into it, I really want it to be a tad different, yet in respect with period styling.
I totally agree, I can appreciate the purist approach, but that just isn't my taste. I too feel that I can make mechanical and visual improvements to our year cars and I have no intention of selling my coupe or Mach 1, so you're definitely preaching to the choir.  ::thumb::

By the way, looks like you've done some great work on your Mustang, love your attention to detail!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back