Accelerator and kick down cables not lining up

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayro

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang baby blue with clevo 351
Hey guys,

New engine is in. Still a 351 Cleveland but I’ve gone for a 750 brawler instead of a 600 holley this time.

My kick down cable is an inch or 2 too short and the accelerator cable an 1” too long.

Am I doing some wrong here? I thought they would marry straight up.

Attachments

• 0754A8AE-4548-42BF-90B0-ACA8F007EC09.jpeg
    0754A8AE-4548-42BF-90B0-ACA8F007EC09.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 7256DABE-8E52-49B7-B308-6330B7F2EA55.jpeg
    7256DABE-8E52-49B7-B308-6330B7F2EA55.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 19
The accelerator cable will appear to be long. That is so the spring returns the throttle plates to closed. You may also need an extra spring (or two) to achieve that.
As for the kickdown, no idea as I too run a 4 speed.

I have an FMX trans and there is a special bracket that you need to install if you had a 2 barrel and are converting to a 4 barrel. I can take a pic of mine but I believe I got it from NPD for under $20 or so. Good luck.

Tom

The center of the throttle shaft is further back on a 2V vs a 4V car, so the kickdown rod ends up being too short. You need the extender bracket that Vintageman posted.

As for the ball stud, you need to choose a position so that you get adequate spring pressure to keep the carb closed and enough travel to get full wide open throttle. Factory 4V carb ball stud was on an 1.25" radius from the center of the throttle shaft, and 7/8" forward from the vertical centerline. You can move the ball stud in and out referenced to the throttle shaft to get more or less throttle response.

1657994919111.png

The center of the throttle shaft is further back on a 2V vs a 4V car, so the kickdown rod ends up being too short. You need the extender bracket that Vintageman posted.

As for the ball stud, you need to choose a position so that you get adequate spring pressure to keep the carb closed and enough travel to get full wide open throttle. Factory 4V carb ball stud was on an 1.25" radius from the center of the throttle shaft, and 7/8" forward from the vertical centerline. You can move the ball stud in and out referenced to the throttle shaft to get more or less throttle response.

View attachment 65742
Awsum. Thank you.

I wish I had a 4 speed toploader.....my kickdown would then be my left foot and my right hand!
Gee thats a bloody great looking car mate

Left foot? My "go" pedal is under my right foot, assuming you have two feet that is.
Yeah, my left foot pushes the clutch pedal that I wish I had that would be connected to the 4 speed toploader that I wish I had connected the the T shifter that my right hand would be resting on.......that I wish I had.........:(

Yeah, my left foot pushes the clutch pedal that I wish I had that would be connected to the 4 speed toploader that I wish I had connected the the T shifter that my right hand would be resting on.......that I wish I had.........:(
Ah yes, Now I get your meaning. I'm pretty slow in the mornings sometimes.
It CAN be converted if you have the dollars and time to do it. However, I'd be dropping in a 5 speed.
Not the best pic, but you mean like this, (bragging!)

Attachments

• DSC00432.JPG
    DSC00432.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Ah yes, Now I get your meaning. I'm pretty slow in the mornings sometimes.
It CAN be converted if you have the dollars and time to do it. However, I'd be dropping in a 5 speed.
Not the best pic, but you mean like this, (bragging!)
I did the math already. I was toploading it and it was about 3K more than the AOD without the clutch headache.....I just have the TV headache!

Back