Adding Gauges

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
Anyone know of link that shows how to wire the gauges to a non gauge equiped car?

I have the cable that attaches to the back of the gauges and a connector on the other end. I'd like to wire into that connector, maybe with the mating connector if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's rather involved and requires removal of resistor wires and a change of dash clusters, wiring from the green junction box for the ammeter leads, a new headlight harness correct for gauges, along with a smaller dash cluster connector. You'll also need the mating connector to the 3 gauge interconnect harness.

Anyon know of link that shows how to wire the gauges to a non gauge equiped car?

I have the cable that attaches to the back of the gauges and a connector on the other end. I'd like to wire into that connector, maybe with the mating connector if possible.

Maybe this would help

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/RichPajzerGauges.html

Anyon know of link that shows how to wire the gauges to a non gauge equiped car?

Maybe this would help

Well...he got most of it right, but I would not recommend doing it that way. You still need to use some of those left-over wires from the non-tach dash cluster to make everything work. The voltage regulator wiring also needs to be changed for the engine to correct charge with the ammeter, but that was not mentioned.

IMHO, if you do make this change, make it right or don't do it at all.

Thanks midlife, I just recently got a Rachel setup from a member with the intention of changing it out and adding a three gauge cluster. Between this post and the other post you commented on, I now know what I am in for. Probly won't tackle this until I am in restoration mode.

Maybe this would help

The instructions fom the link suck!

When I got to the ammeter wiring the wire colors are not the same for my 71 vert!

Maybe if he had some drawings or pictures it can better be determined which wires need to be spliced. I don't have a yellow fusible link wire; maybe if it stated that it's the wire that goes to the lights or the alternator cable I could analyze where it's supposed to go!

I'm an Electrical Engineer and i know I give better instructions than these; these just don't work for me.

Anyone else out there do this mod and succeeded?

OK - so now I hafta ask: swapping a 'clock/speedo' cluster for a 'tach/speedo' cluster - how much of a PITA is that? I already have the center gauges (so that parts no worries), and I don't have the all the idiot lights in the... well... the 'idiot light/speedo' cluster.

And having asked that, does anybody have (or know of a source for) a tach cluster connector/plug? Or is they similar enough to work with some rewiring? (I've never actually have both the clock/speedo and tach/speedo clusters next to each other to notice any differences. Maybe that needs to happen this weekend)

How much of a PITA is it? I do it all the time, but I get paid for it and provide a 2 year warranty. It takes me 4-5 hours, and that's with a lot of experience.

Source for the 12 pin gauge connector: They are not reproduced and are available in almost every other Ford/Lincoln/Mercury car, truck, and van from 71-73 and some 74's except Mustangs and Cougars. I have three in stock that I reserve for customers that need the tach conversion.

Back