Any tips on refinishing the chrome on dash parts?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are a white face. Just a heads up.
 Yeah, I saw that. quite expensive too, but good stuff is always more. Until I decide if this IS what I want, the cheaper the better.

What I did find on their site was they have a special adaptor with 5/8 X18 NF threads male and female. I'll need one of those. Going back to this, the only place to use is the sensor port, but I'll likely have to forgo the idiot light, not that that is too important, will just have to remove the bulb!

Also as a heads up to anyone going with the mechanical water temp pick-up sensor, it must be installed using one of the special adaptors provided or they won't seal. Downside is they are NPT and for the 351C we need straight threads.

EDIT: I'm wrong on the thread size. By total coincidence there is sufficient rust build up to make it appear to be a 5/8 straight thread. It is not it IS a 3/8th NPT. I have confirmed this with an electrical temp sender I bought. Sorry if I mislead anyone. Better to check before saying anything I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both Krylon and Rust-Oleum make textured paints:

http://www.krylon.com/products/?N=1105118537

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/textured/

Krylon appears to have 3 grades, coarse stone, fine stone, and sand. I haven't tried any of them, so don't know what they look like.
 I saw those Don, but decided I was done playing with it. As I mentioned before, the rest of the dash is just plain black paint, so it will all match up and hopefully, look good. It's not intended to be a permanent install, but just so I have some pretty gauges to look at.

I appreciate your input though.

Geoff.

Guys, I believe you are incorrect with the tappings on the 351C, to the best of my knowledge, they are all NPT.

Thanks, Jay
 I checked with a thread gauge. It is 5/8 -18 NF . To be sure, I will double check and confirm. I wish it were NPT, it would make thing much more simple.

Thanks for your concern.

Okay, I just rechecked and although the temp sensor port on my spare block is a bit corroded, it is without doubt 5/8-18 NF. A 3/8 NPT won't even start and that would be the corresponding size if it were NPT thread. The fitting on the temp sensor tube seen in the picture is 5/8 - 18 NF and it screws in easily.

Also, I have emailed Bosch to enquire if they have a suitable correct fitting. If not I guess I'll have to machine one.

Geoff.

Well, Now I do feel like the village idiot!! Before I recently sold that spare block, I did re-check that thread and to my "surprise" it really was a 3/8 NPT. It was the amount of rust in the threads that made it look like a 5/8-18. I really should have known better being a qualified machinist. Oh well, time to eat "Humble Pie"

I got a couple more chrome paints to try. I am out of commission for a while Side grinder got me yesterday with heavy wire brush and ripped my hand pretty good. Almost got my wrist. Hurts like heck.

The Kevlar gloves saved me but got some really bad cuts anyway.

Going to do some consoles.

I got a couple more chrome paints to try. I am out of commission for a while Side grinder got me yesterday with heavy wire brush and ripped my hand pretty good. Almost got my wrist. Hurts like heck.

The Kevlar gloves saved me but got some really bad cuts anyway.

Going to do some consoles.
 Sorry to learn that you hurt yourself. Hope you heal up quick.

Let us know if those finishes work out. I have not had any luck with "chrome paints" so far, but what I can get here is vastly different to the selection available in the US.

Unfortunately, some of the other very effective processes are not really suitable for doing the chrome strips on dash parts that we have on our Mustangs. The only real way to do it is to send the parts to somewhere like Vacuum-Orna in Michigan to be vacuum metalized and re-painted. The center dash panel was quoted at $189 US, about the same as repops form NPD etc.

Anyone tested/saw results from this tech?
 Thanks for posting. Yes very interesting video's. Getting it done here is NOT cheap, but may be worth it on some parts as re-Chroming  has got ridiculously expensive.

I also looked at a wrap type product, but it really didn't have that real chrome look to it, more like polished aluminum foil.

More and more of the guys on the scale modeling website are swearing by these.

https://www.amazon.com/Molotow-Liquid-Chrome-Marker-4Mm/dp/B01E7EGARQ

I need to get some for my models anyway, so I'll grab a couple of the pens and give 'em a run on my old dash plastics.

The thing I don't like about the traditional "chrome the whole piece, and spray color over everything else but the chrome trim" process, is that my repop dash plastics are starting to have some areas where the black paint is rubbing off, showing the chrome underneath (gotta take a Sharpie to it, or something).

Yeah something to investigate on quality/durability/cost for sure for car application.

Saw this morning another one, where they showed the "after" chroming with a tinted clear coat....

really awesome looking results.

@Mr 4X4

Speaking of models, I have this 71 mach1 model in kit, like 300 parts

scale 1/10 ( like 50 cms / 20 inches long) that I've payed a fortune for years ago.

I've never seen it or similar again offered somewhere ever. As I'm not in models scene,

I wonder if its rare or not...

Just tried go on the attic to make a pict, but its in one of the 2000000 boxes upstairs

and I'm covered with spider web.. :))

Meanwhile if you say it's common to see mach1 of this size in kits, I'll leave it where it is for now

otherwise I'll put an attic expedition together and retry relocate it so you could see it.

More and more of the guys on the scale modeling website are swearing by these.

https://www.amazon.com/Molotow-Liquid-Chrome-Marker-4Mm/dp/B01E7EGARQ

I need to get some for my models anyway, so I'll grab a couple of the pens and give 'em a run on my old dash plastics.

The thing I don't like about the traditional "chrome the whole piece, and spray color over everything else but the chrome trim" process, is that my repop dash plastics are starting to have some areas where the black paint is rubbing off, showing the chrome underneath (gotta take a Sharpie to it, or something).
 Might be worth a try, pretty cheap too. Maybe you can be the test pilot!

Hey, why not?  I'll be using it for small chrome pieces on model cars anyway... might as well give it a try.   ::thumb::

Hey, why not?  I'll be using it for small chrome pieces on model cars anyway... might as well give it a try.   ::thumb::
 Some time ago, I bought a "set" of paint pens on E-Pay, that were supposed to be for re-doing the chrome trim and lettering on knobs etc. The "chrome" pen was nothing but a silver paint marker, useless!! I did negatively respond to the seller. Further than that I won't go here.

Buyer-be-ware I guess.

Let us know what you think on those pens.

I'm pretty optimistic.  The guys on the scale modeling forums seem impressed.  The video I posted earlier in this thread (on the 1st page) was one of the guys running the marker pen's paint through an airbrush.  I've seen some other guys paint small parts with the pen directly and it looks pretty convincing as well. 

I think the biggest thing I'd be worried about is durability.  I'll try and pick some up from Hobby Lobby later this weekend - I've got a pretty good list of chores to do today, though.

Back