anybody up for a little creative wiring?!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1chick

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 429 AT power windows, Ac, rear defrost.......PURPLE!
Hi! First, I must say "Awesome!" for the access to the wiring diagrams! I didn't expect to find that kind of info here (or anywhere, for that matter!) So, if anyone is feeling adventurous and helpful, here is the situation: the 71 Mustang with C6 tranny has no neutral safety/back up light switch, and the linkage(s) don't look like they would accpet the factory switch. So, I am going to (hopefully!) wire inan accessory toggle switch on my shifter console. There are 4 wires (no longer in a plug- just 4 loose wires hanging down by the tranny. By looking at the wiring diagram, I think there should be 2 wires to run to my switch in order to activate the back up lights: one black-pink that runs back to the reverse light bulbs, and possibly the white-purple that runs thru the flasher and into the turn signal switch. Any thoughts if these 2 wires run thru a toggle switch will activate the back up lights? Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

Backup lamps are black/red and white/purple, NSS wires are blue/red. You can wire up any of the backup lamps (or NSS wires) in any order through the switch to make things work. The white/purple does not go through the flasher or through the turn signal switch.

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Dr. Midlife. *G*

You're a God, midlife! Will check it out this morning. Might take more than a couple of aspirin, though!

Thanks so much!

Ok, just came from garage....and I need a drink! First, the 4 wires dangling from the tranny area were all black with crimped connectors....obviously homemade. So I traced them back to the originals AFTER cutting about a billion wire ties! Ugh! I hate it when people do sloppy wiring work! Anyhow, found the factory wires (black/pink and white-purple), connected them with a jumper but still no reverse lights. Played around cleaning grounds, etc, still nothing. So checked all the other lights, clicked on the turn signal and bingo! Got reverse light on passenger side! Hey, it's a start! Then my test light died, so I gave up for the day. It's progress.

Ok, just came from garage....and I need a drink! First, the 4 wires dangling from the tranny area were all black with crimped connectors....obviously homemade. So I traced them back to the originals AFTER cutting about a billion wire ties! Ugh! I hate it when people do sloppy wiring work! Anyhow, found the factory wires (black/pink and white-purple), connected them with a jumper but still no reverse lights. Played around cleaning grounds, etc, still nothing. So checked all the other lights, clicked on the turn signal and bingo! Got reverse light on passenger side! Hey, it's a start! Then my test light died, so I gave up for the day. It's progress.
OMG...I fear you have other issues if the turn signal turns on the reverse lights...

Disconnect the tail-light harness and check for voltage at the black/red wire output of the main harness: that should be backup lamps. Should be 12V with the two wires jumpered under the hood.

Update! Success!

Went out to garage this morning before it gets too hot. First up, back up lights. New test light (always helpful!) revealed power at hot wire at each socket. Verified good grounds also. So cleaned the bulb contacts inside the sockets, cleaned bulb contacts and, voila, we have 2 operational reverse lights! Just gotta wire in the switch. Easy-peasy.

Then, on to the non-functioning washers. Installed new pump in bottle. Plugged in- no good. Unplugged it and verified good ground at plug but no power when I push in the wiper-washer button. So removed wiper switch (yeah, THAT was fun! Wanna kill the engineer who thought of putting the fuse box directly behind it!) after dropping the fuse box, and confirmed good power at switch for washer pump circuit (black w/white wire). So back out under the hood, cleaned out the hot terminal down inside the plug for the pump (imagine how much crud gets down in there after 40 years!) and, again, voila, we have washers!

Happy, happy, happy!

And glad I have people to share this with! Thanks for the help and support!

How about a picture of the lights in action???

You don't think we take your word around here, do you?

At this rate, you won't be needing my services...:-(

Lol! I will get pics later this week...maybe even video!

I wouldn't take anyone's word, either!

Back