At LAST ---the 545 is at the Shop

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contest winnings courtesy of BT - thank you sir!

Not the coffee maker, the travel mug.

345hdlu.jpg

WOW BT, that made some pretty good thunder! Congrats!!!!
Yes, I can hardly wait to get it installed into "Fire" (my '73 Mach 1) but first I have to pull the 428CJ for its install into my '69 Mach 1.

It looks like that might be a while as we want to get the body work, paint and interior completed on the '69 before pulling and installing the 428CJ from the '73.

...so many projects:)!

BT

yeah, I was stewing the details of a 545 build when I came across that article and light shone from the heavens above and all was well. I'm basically going to used that build as a blueprint. Like you did though, I've been tossing about the grind because obviously somewhere a little over 500 your just building bragging rights unless you start contemplating tubs and such.

yeah, I was stewing the details of a 545 build when I came across that article and light shone from the heavens above and all was well. I'm basically going to used that build as a blueprint. Like you did though, I've been tossing about the grind because obviously somewhere a little over 500 your just building bragging rights unless you start contemplating tubs and such.
Yes, I too, utilized the build in that "Popular Hot Rodding" issues (and others) as a "starting point" when I contemplated my approach.

I got with some reputable BBF engine builders and got their take on the best way to make massive torque throughout the RPM range since this is going to be essentially a street car.

How are you coming with plans for your build?

BT

Well, it is now Spring and the '69 Mach 1 is coming along to the point that I am about ready to pull the 428SCJ out of Fire (my '73 Mach 1). As some of you may recall, the 428 is going into the 69 as it is period correct.

Got a note from Dave McLain (the engine builder for the 545) advising that one of the perennial BBF racers is coming to Memphis next weekend and offered to haul the 545 down.

So, it looks like the 545 will be home REAL soon:)!

BT

Well, the motor is now in Memphis and awaiting the install.

2hrj29t.jpg
l

It will still be a couple of months before I complete both "installs" but at least I can "see" it every day. LOL

BT

2hrj29t.jpg
l

It will still be a couple of months before I complete both "installs" but at least I can "see" it every day. LOL

BT
Looks great!

Do you anticipate any hood clearance issues with that intake?

Looking very good! If you can't get in trouble with that then you aren't making an effort at all.:p Chuck

2hrj29t.jpg
l

BT
Looks great!

Do you anticipate any hood clearance issues with that intake?
No, I actually have a Boss 429 type scoop built into "Fire's" hood.

BT

Bringing this back for updates.

I ended up going with a steel drive shaft (Good for over 750 HP)  from Inland Empire and a 31 splined 391 rearend as in spite of the HP and torque, this will be a "street" car. Have also had the subframe connectors and larger sway bar (1 1/8") installed on the front. Instead of the Lincoln Mark VIII fan, I went with a Derale dual fan unit. We felt the Mark VIII fan might have had some clearance issues and I didn't want to bother with trimming it.

I am waiting for my controller for my Derale dual fans.  I initially tried two Derale's 25 amp controllers (each of the fans pull 25 Amps) but had to return them as there was no room for a second sensor. Called the company and they recommended I use their single 85 amp controller for my application, so I sent the two 25 Amp controllers back to JEGS (without any problems) for a refund.

Also had to find a shifter arm lever for the Broader C6 I am running as I will be using a stock shifter and did not have all the linkage since I was converting from a toploader to the C6. The lever is due in next week.

Even though I have an all steel boss 429 type hood sccop, it appears I may have to do some hood scoop modifications since I am using a 1" super sucker along with the Trick Flow Street intake but I will make that decision once I fit the hood back onto the car.

I now have the motor in the car and will post up some pictures soon (I know Chuck, "if there are no pictures it didn't happen").

Bt

Mudbilly,

The fans are the Derale 16836 dual fan unit. JEGS carries this unit for 286.99 shipped.

I am utilizing a CVF kit (alternator {140 amp} and power steering pump along with CVF's associated brackets and pulleys). I am also using an Edelbrock water pump. We DID trim the fans shroud a bit all the way around to gain some additional clearance but it was really a good fit utilizing the stock type radiator. 

The fans each pulled nearly 25 amps so if you are going to use a controller, you need to be sure the controller will handle the combined amperage. I initially ordered a 25 Amp Controller and quickly found out that would not due...kept blowing fuses when we applied the heat gun to it to activate both fans. As an aside, the JEGS site did not stated that I needed a controller as it depends on one's application and how you intend to activate the fans.  Not being comfortable with electrical "stuff", I didn't know this at the time.

I subsequently called Derale and their representative (Tom) advised the controller I needed was their Derale 16789. Since I had to send the two controllers back that I originally purchased from JEGS, I have not yet installed the new unit. 

Attached are a couple of the pictures that should show the "fit" of the fans.

Engine compartment is getting quite crowded and I am not even finished, yet :angel: !

BT

Back