At LAST ---the 545 is at the Shop

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learned Another "Hard" Lesson...

As some of you may recall, I had been gathering parts for this build for over 6 years. One of the items I acquired was a set of "New" 6.800" RPM rods about five years ago from a Member on another Site. It was @150.00 savings over the then advertised price.

As My engine builder was checking the rods, it was determined that the rods were not apparently from RPM (per an RPM representative -He had called the RPM folks to get torque specs). So, now we are not sure who made the rods so we have decided to go with a set of SCATs instead as we do not want to have a possible compromise.

Otherwise, everything is still looking good and there is still time to post up with estimates on horsepower and torque:).

BT

Ya...On a big build like this no reason to take a chance!! Kinda sucks thou...but atleast he did not stick it together and say hell..should work fine!! Good Engine builder {thumbs up}

Ya...On a big build like this no reason to take a chance!! Kinda sucks thou...but atleast he did not stick it together and say hell..should work fine!! Good Engine builder {thumbs up}
Yes, Dave McLain has an EXTREMELY positive reputation in the engine building world and has even participated in the Engine Masters Series.

...and the rods ARE "unused" but it just comes down to not knowing (at this time) who to contact to determine recommended torque specifications. I haven't been able to contact the guy I purchased them from six years ago.

BT

February 6, 2014 Update

According to the Engine Builder, the block has been bored, honed and washed. Additionally, the cam bearings have been installed and the rods were received via UPS today.

The next area to be addressed is the balancing of the rotating assembly.

...more to come:)!

BT

February 6, 2014 Update

According to the Engine Builder, the block has been bored, honed and washed. Additionally, the cam bearings have been installed and the rods were received via UPS today.

The next area to be addressed is the balancing of the rotating assembly.

...more to come:)!

BT
Always good to hear about PROGRESS. Keep 'em coming, BT! :)

Bump for an update. Any news on your build :)
I will probably do a check and provide the current status on Monday.

I don't know if I mentioned it before but I told the builder there was no hurry as I am going to have to pull the 428 out of "FIRE" (my '73 Mach 1) for install into my '69 Mach 1. I don't want to pull the 428 until the '69 is actually ready to receive it. Of course, the 545 is going into "FIRE."

...so many projects:)!

BT

For you who are following this thread:

My engine builder advised he hopes to have the block on the stand in the next week or so.

With the new rods having been received, the rotating assembly has been balanced (the forged crank took one piece of heavy metal). He also had to machine the bottom of the pistons to get the new rods to clear.

So, there is time (for you who have not posted your estimates on HP and torque) to post up and possibly wing the "prize!"

Stay Tuned:)!

BT

As we near completion of the motor, I decided to update everyone on the "estimates" that I have received as of today.

Member H/P Torque

TommyK 650 735

droptop73 618 721

Kermit460 665 745

Boss1Ray 678 766

hyena429 625 720

jbojo 645 730

Caspianwendell 585 675

Luke 733 680

Totalled 750 753

Bill73Ragtop 685 715

bkdunha 630 725

sm3570 716 731

Don65Stang 654 754

Chris Womack 720 795

73vertproject 698 757

Jeff73Mach1 705 635

jhawk635 692 765

73MustangCoupe 836 868

Auron73mach1 707 759

71_badmach 700+ 700+

73StangCoupe 684 736

Sxynerd 620 655

rpmcarter 692 765 (Same as jhawk635)

460bbf 598 634

Remember, there are awards "on the table" for the member(s) who come closest to the final HP and the final torque numbers. For "Regular" Members, that would be a paid upgrade ($25.00 value) to VIP status. For "VIP" Members, it will be a $25.00 credit in the "Cafe." Also, both "Winners" will receive an Icon documenting their "win."

There is still time to get your "estimates" in if you have not already posted up:)!

Good Luck!

BT

Update time!

Engine Builder advised they have installed the crankshaft and degree'd in the camshaft at 109 Intake centerline.

Next action is to verify TDC, fit rings and put the rest of the short block together.

...the "journey" continues:)!

BT

UPDATE.

Engine Builder ran into a minor "snag" with the Comp roller lifters apparently dumping oil pressure when the oil pump was turned by hand at or near maximum lift. It was dropping from 85 pounds to around 20 pounds. It was as if the relieved portion of the lifter body got pushed up into the oil galley. After taking some measurements, it was decided to go with a set of Morel lifters and they have resolved the problem:).

He has now trial fitted the valve train and ordered the appropriate push rods. The Intake Manifold is also now on the engine.

...the journey continues.

BT

UPDATE.

Engine Builder ran into a minor "snag" with the Comp roller lifters apparently dumping oil pressure when the oil pump was turned by hand at or near maximum lift. It was dropping from 85 pounds to around 20 pounds. It was as if the relieved portion of the lifter body got pushed up into the oil galley. After taking some measurements, it was decided to go with a set of Morel lifters and they have resolved the problem:).

He has now trial fitted the valve train and ordered the appropriate push rods. The Intake Manifold is also now on the engine.

...the journey continues.

BT
I remember Dan Jones reporting a similar issue with certain roller lifters on clevelands. It pays to check, Kudos to DM.

Back