BE A PART OF MY BUILD MOTOR SWAP

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the Cleveland crate motor; the desc says 3V heads which would have to be the CHI heads i mentioned earlier. But they spec the Edelbrock intake, which surprises me since CHI makes an intake to match the heads. My CHI 2V heads required an Edelbrock as CHI doesnt make an intake to match. The 3V was just out when i was building my mill so i didnt buy them. Mistake. Also they spec a stroker crank, which is fine but that could require some custom block work and also experience with spec-ing the right pistons, which is not a real big deal as long as you are working with a shop that has built a LOT of Clevelands...which wouls again suggest working with DCE wince they are so close. Also Richie is a genius at setting up stroke/compression ratio/cams for usable curves. Also they can dyno the engine for you before you take it out the door...and Jeff next door can chassis dyno the carb, ignition, and tranni after you drop it in. Saves tons of time.

I'm curious as to why you would want to stick with a C4 / C6. I would think an AOD or AODE would enhance the performance and drivability (especially on the highway). Cost would probably be about the same....
thats why I'm looking for input opinions..How does the kickdown setup work ?

whats involved with the linkage setup etc. to the carb ?

Also just checked pricing..double the price of a c4 c6 new which is what I want... no used
Sorry; have not had opportunity to reply, but several already had made the same points I was going to. Linkage for the Lokar cable is pretty straightforward. I would agree that the special valve body is the only way to go. Transmission mount can be gotten from Ron Morris, but with your skill sets you can probably make one for pennies on the dollar. You can also fabricate a custom shift linkage so the floor shifter detents match the AOD (I have a setup in my 69 vert). IMO aside from the engine, this might be the 2nd most important improvement you can make....

...I'm trying to keep the budget right around 7k...Including the tranny..(auto) The goal here is to have a reliable powerful setup that can be cruised for hours on end (long trips) But still get up & go when needed..

So make your choice from the above (or if you have better options let me know) Tell the reasons why you made your choice..Also need to decide on a c-4 or c-6 So tell us which you'd choose ..appreciate any & all input..The one thing is I don't want to start with is a non crate motor..I need this baby delivered on a pallet ready to drop in ...Base motors are fine..Let the games begin :)
Scott, I haven't looked at the links yet but I will. I want to voice what I would do, and am planning to do with my 71M C6 car because we have the same stated goal of $7k budget, auto trans, long trips, and plenty of get up and go; but I also want A/C for my build. ;) Essentially I'm going to build my daily driver and drive it 100% of the time since I don't have road salt to deal with down here.

For my build I'm not opposed to a crate engine but I want to explore rebuilding a 351C first from a reputable builder with a warrantee. If I can't or don't want to do that then it would be a 393 stroker crate engine.

Hands down the trans would be an AOD with 4R70W gears making it a wide ratio AOD. This would allow a 3.50 up to a 4.11 rear without any high revving highway speeds and still more importantly have a very good first gear ratio because that's where the money is made off the line in my opinion. Ok the 4.11 gears maybe a tad too small for optimal first gear ratio but it is still in the acceptable range. Check out my trans and rear gear ratio spreadsheet in the wiki section for a good breakdown of all the factors that go into it...it's a good read if I can say so myself.

Ok, I looked at the links. None of them had me salivating.

But this crate engine does, a 393 stroked Cleveland...

http://www.tuffdawgengines.com/ford_393C_471hp.htm

I've heard good things about things about Tuff Dawg on other forums. I think I've seen them YouTube as well, but don't hold me to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the intake for the TuffD engine, they will work with you if you want something different.

With the one I got from them for my Camaro, I sent them a powder coated iron stock intake to install. None of the aftermarket intakes clear the hood with a BBC without a cowl. At least they didn't at the time.

I guess what I'm saying is that they will work with you on options even though they sell "crate" engines.

Greg

All good stuff guys but I may not be doing any of it..It's amazing how things can change in a minutes time..I was talking to the guy who bought my 429 about 2 hours ago..(I received his money today) In the jest of just b.sing he tells he has this.. he wants to sell a survivor documented 68 shelby gt 500 I can't go into details but I'm trying to buy it..I want to give him the mustang..my 04 350z (I'm the original owner 16,000mi) & a big wad of cash...

I'm praying I can make it happen keeping my fingers crossed

All good stuff guys but I may not be doing any of it..It's amazing how things can change in a minutes time..I was talking to the guy who bought my 429 about 2 hours ago..(I received his money today) In the jest of just b.sing he tells he has this.. he wants to sell a survivor documented 68 shelby gt 500 I can't go into details but I'm trying to buy it..I want to give him the mustang..my 04 350z (I'm the original owner 16,000mi) & a big wad of cash...

I'm praying I can make it happen keeping my fingers crossed
Now your talking

Well Q, "bummer"... and "Good for you" at the same time. rofl

I haven't voiced my engine/tranny combo opinion because mine is kinda yet unproven. So far, my warmed up 351C-2V shows every sign of being very promising, and with the AOD behind it, should pretty much do for me exactly what you were outlining in the original post... but I'm nowhere near ready to find out for sure.

Gettin' a good line on a Vintage Shelby is pretty tough these days without breaking the bank or getting into mortgage range. Good luck! ::thumb::

I find myself in a very similar situation. I just bought a '73 roller that I need a drive train. It's an automatic and I would like to go manual but finding a clutch pedal for less than $400 is not likely to happen.

I'm also thinking modern tech like a Coyote, small, light efficient engine with loads of horsepower.

I may be wrong but i havent seen too many racers use AOD's. true this build may be more street oriented, but the C4 performance mods make it a very light and proven day in day out performance tranny that has a huge performance aftermarket. And it is a real bolt on. Even i can install one ha ha! There are a lot of advantages with that. And even a rollerized performance rebuild will be cheaper all-in than an AOD.

I find myself in a very similar situation. I just bought a '73 roller that I need a drive train. It's an automatic and I would like to go manual but finding a clutch pedal for less than $400 is not likely to happen.

I'm also thinking modern tech like a Coyote, small, light efficient engine with loads of horsepower.
Check Modern Driveline, they have a retrofit clutch pedal that works great. I have one in my car with a home built bellcrank, brackets and linkage.

Check Modern Driveline, they have a retrofit clutch pedal that works great. I have one in my car with a home built bellcrank, brackets and linkage.
Thanks. I checked out the site they have some promising modifications but they add up fast. I bookmarked their site.

Still trying to work a deal on the Shelby..I have pictures..just waiting on the Marti report..I still need to be ready anyway to get a motor if we don't make a deal..So I had some time yesterday to head over to D.C.E. & speak to Joe..

Nice KNOWLEDGEABLE guy..He totally advised me to NOT to build a Cleveland for most of the reasons I already knew which is why I wasn't going to do one from the get go..He also advised a c-4..Basically he ROUGH quoted me on a 393w stroker right around 7k minus carb,water pump,pullys etc. More than I wanted to spend for this particular car..On the other hand I wasn't planing to use the original 72 351CJ numbers matching motor for the q-code & was going to build up a killer motor anyway..So maybe it's time to bite the bullet..build up the motor I really want for the qcode..drop it in this car for now..then when the q-code is done pull it for that car..Ah decisions decisions...I'm going back to D.C.E. the first week of August to talk further..He was vague on specs..dyno tune etc. in the Meantime I found these guys who build a real nice product..

http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/ford.html

Plus they are not that far from me so I could pickup the motor

Still trying to work a deal on the Shelby..I have pictures..just waiting on the Marti report..I still need to be ready anyway to get a motor if we don't make a deal..So I had some time yesterday to head over to D.C.E. & speak to Joe..

Nice KNOWLEDGEABLE guy..He totally advised me to NOT to build a Cleveland for most of the reasons I already knew which is why I wasn't going to do one from the get go..
What's the reasons?

On the other hand I wasn't planing to use the original 72 351CJ numbers matching motor for the q-code & was going to build up a killer motor anyway..So maybe it's time to bite the bullet..build up the motor I really want for the qcode..drop it in this car for now..then when the q-code is done pull it for that car..
What's that build? :D

What's that build? :D
Not 100% sure yet but 351w based...A clevor might be nice

So what did he say? Let me guess, he wants to build you a FE wih 800hp?
Nope...See post 36

Nice KNOWLEDGEABLE guy..He totally advised me to NOT to build a Cleveland for most of the reasons I already knew which is why I wasn't going to do one from the get go..
What's the reasons?
Kept going on about thin wall block...a pain in the ass for parts..more money for everything

Back