Bent cross member?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 "Q" code Mach 1
Made an attempt to install (temporarily to check header fitment) the new engine in my '72 Mach1. The oil pan is a Milodon with a kicked out sump. According to Milodon it should clear the cross member under the engine in a stock chassis. But in this case it's a no-go. Back of pan needs about 1/4" of space between it and the front edge where there are pinch welds. While I was prepping to "cut and paste" the member for more room I noticed a ding in the top side at the rear. Probably had a hook on it at some point in its life for whatever reason. It appears that the whole thing looks like it has pushed forward causing my clearance issue. Would appreciate input from the chassis aficionados out there.

Attachments

• New 351C CJ.jpg
    New 351C CJ.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
  • Eng Cross Member.jpg
    Eng Cross Member.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • Eng CM2.jpg
    Eng CM2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Made an attempt to install (temporarily to check header fitment) the new engine in my '72 Mach1. The oil pan is a Milodon with a kicked out sump. According to Milodon it should clear the cross member under the engine in a stock chassis. But in this case it's a no-go. Back of pan needs about 1/4" of space between it and the front edge where there are pinch welds. While I was prepping to "cut and paste" the member for more room I noticed a ding in the top side at the rear. Probably had a hook on it at some point in its life for whatever reason. It appears that the whole thing looks like it has pushed forward causing my clearance issue. Would appreciate input from the chassis aficionados out there.
An additional note Irishman: Since these Milodon pans run so close to the cross member ensure the pan drain plug is not catching/holding up on the crossmember preventing the engine to drop home and mount. It's happened to me!

Definitely looks like it got pulled and bent. Maybe out of a ditch?

I have one in a parts car I could cut out if yours can't be straightened.

Agree that it appears to be pulled forward and should be able to push it back in place. Be sure to check wheel alignment.

On another note, I like your fender blankets. Where did you get them?

Definitely looks like it got pulled and bent. Maybe out of a ditch?

I have one in a parts car I could cut out if yours can't be straightened.
It may have been pulled out of a ditch or the like. From what I've been able to gather from the car's history, it was wrecked at one time. Right side quarter, door and fender were replaced. The previous owner that I bought it from said he met the body man that repaired it
Agree that it appears to be pulled forward and should be able to push it back in place. Be sure to check wheel alignment.

On another note, I like your fender blankets. Where did you get them?

for some other previous owner who was a squirrel. He recognized the clear coat paint on the new sheet metal and where it was blended in on the roof. The insurance company wouldn't pay for painting the whole roof.

The fender covers were made by a gentleman named M.J. Quinn in Louisville, Ky He sold them under the brand name "Derby City Covers" The first one I bought for my 1988 Mustang Stocker is still going strong after 20+ years of constant usage. Alas M.J. shut his business down a couple of years ago and retired. He told the one for my '72 one of the last ones he made.

Attachments

• 19399506_1978661352378303_2034158211075444090_n.jpg
    19399506_1978661352378303_2034158211075444090_n.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
OK so computer savvy I'm not! LOL. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful suggestions. I just found out my mentor in all things relating to cars and race cars has a power pack he can lend me. (I'm already borrowing his trans-jack to hold the C6 while I trial fit the engine.) So after I post this I am heading down to Chuck's to pick it up! Hopefully be able to put things back in place later today.🤞🤞🤞

Back