Big decision time!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
The battle has been won in the war office. (the bedroom).

I have the green light to change my gearbox (fmx) to a 4 speed.

I'm thinking of an AOD. But now I'm entertain the idea of a manual.

Let's forget the wow factor for a moment and tell me which would be easier?

Ideally I'd like a 4 speed manual, but I'm suspecting I'll get put off by the various bit and pieces I may need to fabricate.

Has anyone done a step by step tutorial with pictures for this conversion? Even an AOD swap tutorial? What about a link to a website with this information?

I'll probably be doing the lot myself at home. I'm also imagining that I won't have to pull the engine for AOD swap. Is this also the case for the manual?

This may be a deciding factor for me.

All opinions wanted.

PS, I don't drive it enough to worry about 5 or 6 speed manual, but if it's just as easy and cost effective, I'm all ears....

PPS, would another 4 speed auto be worth looking at?

Cheers to all.

Jimbo. (Master of nothing! , except maybe in the war office! Hehe.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its possible to do it for under $1500. my dad did that to his mustang in the 90s. Got a trans and everything from an old 70 that was disintegrated in some guys yard.

I believe it's possible to change to either the AOD/4r70w or manual with the engine in the car, but you'll probably thank your knuckles (and other body parts) if you pull the engine.

Or toss a gearvendors on the back of the three speed.

What are you looking to accomplish?
Will, tell me more about the gear vendors thing?

Although the 3 speed is a pain on the freeway, truthfully, because I don't drive the car much, I can live with that.

I s'pose the main reason is because the fmx is on its last legs. The car was born with a c6. Would it be easier to put a fresh c6 back in ?

if you can live without the overdrive and If you put a 3 speed auto back in go C4, lighter and requires the least amount of power to run it. Good trick box would go about 1600 bucks here. You wont break it, there are heaps of 9 second cars running C4s in the country to prove it. Just my 2 cents.

ps toploaders an option for gear grabbing. nothing to much better in the car world than a 4 speed clevo

The easiest, most cost effective,strongest & Best bang for the buck is going to be the 4r70w I'm smack in the middle of doing mine now..I purchased one off craigslist from a totaled 2001 v6 mustang..thats what you want 2000-2001 v-6 mustang..The fmx flexplate bolts right up to the v-6 stock torque converter..you can use the fmx crossmember..You just need the electronics..valve body reprogramming kit..I went with the baumann setup..I decided to take my tranny to a local shop just for a tear down overhaul install the reprogramming kit..The tranny I scored was pretty mint inside (most v-6 will be) You will need to fabricate an arm for the shifter if you want to retain your stock shifter I posted up a how to this week on that.

So far heres what I'm into it for

Tranny 175.00

Baumann quick 1 controller-wire harness-tps (throttle position sensor) 700.00

Trans go reprograming kit-89.00

Tranny shop 400.00

Had a fmx flexplate

Had a fmx crossmember

Going to need a new front yoke

May have to shorten driveshaft

The GV is an auxillery OD you bolt onto the back of your transmission. Of all of the options it is easiest but more costly. If your FMX was running strong I would suggest this route but since you are looking to replace it I would tend to agree with the 4r70w arguments (although I have no experience with them myself).

I had a good running built up c6 so I went the GV route. I only have about 12 miles on it so far but I love it.

The GV is an auxillery OD you bolt onto the back of your transmission. Of all of the options it is easiest but more costly. If your FMX was running strong I would suggest this route but since you are looking to replace it I would tend to agree with the 4r70w arguments (although I have no experience with them myself).

I had a good running built up c6 so I went the GV route. I only have about 12 miles on it so far but I love it.
Will e

Did you post your thoughts about the GV on another thread?

-jbojo

If you're interested in a 5-speed swap, I did it with my '68 coupe. It's very straight forward. You have options as far as bell crank, hydraulic, or cable (clutch). I did the cable setup. Very easy. Then you have options for the transmission (T-5, Tremec, TKO-500/600 or a T-56.

If you're interested in a 5-speed swap, I did it with my '68 coupe. It's very straight forward. You have options as far as bell crank, hydraulic, or cable (clutch). I did the cable setup. Very easy. Then you have options for the transmission (T-5, Tremec, TKO-500/600 or a T-56.
X2 on that, I used a Modern Driveline retrofit pedal and built the mechanical clutch linkage. I did the job for about $1000.00 including the trans, bellhousing and clutch.

Guys, of all the options, which will give me the most room. My long tube headers are custom made due to the steering conversion, and there's not a lot of room.

I've decided my first priority will be size.

I must have something equal to or smaller than an fmx.

Eg: c4? Top loader?

Having a lot of fun trying to find 4R70W here in AU. Don't think that is an option at this stage. Also its size bothers me.

Guys, I've come to the decision that If I'm going to the trouble to change tranny, I may as well get one with overdrive.

The 4r70w are almost non existent here in Au, so it is either the aod or a 5 speed manual. Can someone tell me their thoughts on a t5 or a t5z?

Ta.

Hi Jim

Lottsa cars with T5 here as you know. The T5Z with its closer 1 2nd would be my choice. In the long run you may be better of plugging for a TKO 600 especially if you are making a little bit of mumbo or plan too. Costs work out very close in the end and the TKO is a better unit in my opinion. Just my 2 bobs worth mate.

Ta Luke.

Tell me realistically what it will cost me doing all the work myself to install a tremec including bell housing, clutch stuff, etc.

3k? 4k? 5k?

Would you know of a one stop shop here in au why could sell me the lot?

What about wreckers, etc.

The important thing for me is getting a tranny that is in known good nik. I've pulled my fmx twice and am prepared to do it one more time only!

Ta.

Jimbo.

Back