Blinkers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Green on green 72 Mach 1
Ok Fellas I have a couple questions regarding blinkers and flashers.
I don’t have front flashers or front blinkers.
Rear works fine.
Is there a separate flashers for the flashers and blinkers.
When you have just your running lights on which lights should be on. I was thinking that the grill lights should be on.
The grill lights come on when I turn the headlights on but not with the running lights.
Thanks for any all info.

Turn signal and brake lights are on one filament/circuit; running lights on a 2nd circuit, and parking lights on yet a third circuit. On a 71/72 Mach1, the grill lights are powered by the signal going to the dimmer switch, so the grill lights are on whenever you're running high or low beam. On the 73, the grill lights are turn signal lamps.
So: in your case, parking lamps don't power any other system. They are there to warn folks at night that a car is parked and not running. Parking lights are not always part of the system for every year, though, including your 72.

Turn signal and brake lights are on one filament/circuit; running lights on a 2nd circuit, and parking lights on yet a third circuit. On a 71/72 Mach1, the grill lights are powered by the signal going to the dimmer switch, so the grill lights are on whenever you're running high or low beam. On the 73, the grill lights are turn signal lamps.
So: in your case, parking lamps don't power any other system. They are there to warn folks at night that a car is parked and not running. Parking lights are not always part of the system for every year, though, including your 72.
So just the side market and tail lights are the only lights on with the headlight switch in the parking or running light position?

For a 72, there is no parking light circuit, unless there's a short-cut within the headlight switch itself (I don't have insight into that switch). I believe that only the headlight on position is there side marker lamps and tail-lights.

Mine is an early 72 (built 11/71). When the headlight switch is pulled to the first notch, the blinker lamps in the front valance, rear lamps, and front/rear side markers come on. The grill lamps come on with the headlamps (at the 2nd notch) and do not blink, There is one flasher for blinkers (above glove box) and one for hazards (near fuse block).

These are the lights that come on at the front in the first position of the switch, as well as the side marker lights in the quarter panel and the taillights.

1690723916086.png

Second position of the switch will illuminate the headlights and the Sport Lamps on 71-72 cars equipped with them.

1690724009561.png

Rear works fine.
When you have just your running lights on which lights should be on. I was thinking that the grill lights should be on.
The grill lights come on when I turn the headlights on but not with the running lights.
Thanks for any all info.
Rear works fine.
Thanks for any all info.
Good luck with yours. It sounds like the front is not connected. The flashers should function for both sides.There are 2 different flashers. One above the glove box and one by your column. I had to replace my faulty switch, by pulling the steering wheel. 125.00 for the switch and it worked great for 2 months. Now one side quit working. I've got to hand it to the Mustang folks you are patient. I personally am wondering if any of the systems on these cars were built to last. I honestly believe I had to replace every single switch and brake part and line in this car. Nothing lasted. I'm going to trouble shoot mine before I decide I have another bad switch. I know the circuit runs through the dash where there's a cpl lights a regulator and there's bulbs n grounds on both sides of the car. I personally want to see it with a meter before I complain about the switch.

I'm curious there's 2 different flashers one above the glove box and one by the steering column. Which one is for what function?

Glove box is for 4-way flashers; the one near the steering column is for turn signals.
I'm hoping I don't have another faulty switch. I recently replaced the lights on my dash & one of the lights is most likely faulty (or it's the new socket, the older sockets screw on the printed circuit better, I tried to use them however a few broke when I cleaned n tweaked them tighter) It's one of the turn signal lights. If one of those light are bad will it effect the rest of the circuit? I guess it would if it's in series. p.s some of these knock off newer sockets pictured on the left next to older socket on rt. The new sockets prongs are too short and will basically tear into your printed circuit.

Attachments

• IMG_4539.JPG
    IMG_4539.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Glove box is for 4-way flashers; the one near the steering column is for turn signals.
I disagree, My 71 the turn signals flasher (grounded electronic for LED's) is the one above the glover box. The other, also grounded electronic of course, is for 4 way flashers.

I'm hoping I don't have another faulty switch. I recently replaced the lights on my dash & one of the lights is most likely faulty (or it's the new socket, the older sockets screw on the printed circuit better, I tried to use them however a few broke when I cleaned n tweaked them tighter) It's one of the turn signal lights. If one of those light are bad will it effect the rest of the circuit? I guess it would if it's in series. p.s some of these knock off newer sockets pictured on the left next to older socket on rt. The new sockets prongs are too short and will basically tear into your printed circuit.
Paul, this may be a mute point as I'm sure you already know, but if you put LED's in your dash circuit, they are polarity specific. Also if you have idiot lights, the ALT bulb MUST remain an incandescent bulb. Also cheap LED's don't always work. I buy from Bill at HiPoParts.com.
As for sockets, maybe try to find some originals from someone like MotorCityMustangs and the like.

Paul, this may be a mute point as I'm sure you already know, but if you put LED's in your dash circuit, they are polarity specific. Also if you have idiot lights, the ALT bulb MUST remain an incandescent bulb. Also cheap LED's don't always work. I buy from Bill at HiPoParts.com.
As for sockets, maybe try to find some originals from someone like MotorCityMustangs and the like.
I used incandescent bulbs on the signals and one of them is bad. I wonder if I had one in the alt? Good point. Ye one of my cheap leds was bad also. The reason I didn't use them on the signals. I might buy all new LEDS from that source, these looked chinchy. I need to bring the car in to the shop & look at it. I've got the space reserved at the moment for a homemade shifter linkage project on another car. The mosquitoes are taking over though

I used incandescent bulbs on the signals and one of them is bad. I wonder if I had one in the alt? Good point. Ye one of my cheap leds was bad also. The reason I didn't use them on the signals. I might buy all new LEDS from that source, these looked chinchy. I need to bring the car in to the shop & look at it. I've got the space reserved at the moment for a homemade shifter linkage project on another car. The mosquitoes are taking over though
Electrical "stuff" is NOT my area of any sort of knowledge, but I muddle through somehow. I've managed to replace all my lights with LED's and the expense and effort are well worth it, if you do it right. As for LED dash bulbs, Bill sells two sets, If I remember, the Elite Series II is the better one. Also, when I set up my LED headlights, I ran those through relays and that takes the load off the switch and dash circuits. I think you can run any headlight through relays if you want to.
Now, if I could find a way to set up the grill lamps to work as daylight running lights, I'd be a happy camper.

Back