Broken Hearted

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 completely stock ivy green with silver stripes.
fortunately this post isn’t about my 73 mach1 however it is about my pickup truck. I bought this truck new in 2010, had it 14 years because I loved it. I kept up with maintenance and really took care of it. Recently I just had the insurance company total it, for the weirdest reason. The area I live in is subjected to flooding, our road was flooded. The water was high but the pickup was higher. I was driving down the road slowly everything was going fine until a truck going the opposite way (4x4 with the big tires) and a rude driver. Instead of going slow he was speeding and pushing a wave. I came to a stop there was nothing else I could do to avoid getting hit by his wave. Anyhow this wave hit the front of my truck went over my hood up the windshield and over the whole truck. My check engine light came on and the engine stopped running. I thought a sensor got wet. So I made an appointment with my mechanic to get it fixed. I had it towed over to the shop, only to receive a call telling me to call the insurance company. He said it may be vapor locked and if so I’m looking at a huge bill. He said the air filter was soaked and the tube feeding air into the engine was full of salt water. The insurance sent an adjuster to check it out and after speaking to the mechanic totaled the truck. This breaks my heart I loved that truck. I feel the insurance treated me fairly and I’m glad I kept full coverage on it. But it’s sure is a bad feeling that I lost my truck to a freak accident.

That's sad. First, I wouldn't call that driver "rude", he was an f'n idiot!! "I've got a big truck and big tires.... arf arf arf!!"
I suppose a replacement engine was too much money for the insurance, but why total it? I'd bite the bullet and buy it back and find a good used engine, that way you'll still have your beloved truck.

Can you find the driver of the other truck? Can you report him/her to the police? Did you have a dash camera by any chance?
That was beyond rude. That's a reckless driving infraction to say the least!

That's sad. First, I wouldn't call that driver "rude", he was an f'n idiot!! "I've got a big truck and big tires.... arf arf arf!!"
I suppose a replacement engine was too much money for the insurance, but why total it? I'd bite the bullet and buy it back and find a good used engine, that way you'll still have your beloved truck.
too much to deal with I don’t do my own work because of health. Also the mechanic and the adjuster are in agreement that even if I replace the engine, because it was salt water I could have electrical problems later. That truck gave me 14 years of trouble free service. I don’t want to ruin the memory by walking into an electrical nightmare. Not to mention what problems another engine could give me

Can you find the driver of the other truck? Can you report him/her to the police? Did you have a dash camera by any chance?
That was beyond rude. That's a reckless driving infraction to say the least!
No dash camera but I think I know the truck but I’m not 100% sure. We have a lot of trucks like it in my area. I don’t want to accuse the wrong person.

There's nothing you can do about the other driver. His bow wave would be simply considered a "road hazard", same as if you hit a piece of debris on the pavement while driving. Law enforcement would tell you that you shouldn't have been driving on a flooded road.

A wave of salt water over your truck and down your intake pretty much spells death. Even if your engine was replace, all your electrical and other systems were soaked with very corrosive salt water…

A wave of salt water over your truck and down your intake pretty much spells death. Even if your engine was replace, all your electrical and other systems were soaked with very corrosive salt water…
That’s the way the insurance adjuster looked at it. At least he was fair with the settlement, and I’m grateful I kept full coverage on my 14 year old truck.

Back