Can a Durspark Distributor/Module do this....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: retard function, see scanned documents below.

Re: point settings changing timing, as the gap decreases, dwell increases, and timing is retarded because the points open later as determined by the distance and angle of the rub block in relation to the cam. The opposite is true if gap increases. The changes are not huge but noticeable, roughly 2-8 degrees. This is the reason almost all maintenance manuals will tell you check and reset timing AFTER point gap/dwell is set. Chuck

1979 Service highlights.pdf

Duraspark II retard.pdf

Attachments

• 1979 Service highlights.pdf
    619.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Duraspark II retard.pdf
    691.4 KB · Views: 38

Re: point settings changing timing, as the gap decreases, dwell increases, and timing is retarded because the points open later as determined by the distance and angle of the rub block in relation to the cam. The opposite is true if gap increases. The changes are not huge but noticeable, roughly 2-8 degrees. This is the reason almost all maintenance manuals will tell you check and reset timing AFTER point gap/dwell is set. Chuck
Chuck...kudos to you!!!

I could not find this in my 1982 manual.

18 degrees or crankcase retard is huge, wouldn't you agree!!!

Woo Hoo...a document I can believe in.

Thank you Chuck!!! I am stunned.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system4.htm

Points do trigger the discharge of the coil. I said it before and I stand by it. rotor passing the cap contact is not what causes the coil to fire.

Even when points are not in the equation it is still the loss of ground for the coil that causes it to fire.

Chuck...kudos to you!!!

I'm not sure which, if not all of the Duraspark IIs, have the retard on start. I do know the Duraspark I does not have retard on start. My MSD Digital 6 box retards 20 degrees until RPM reaches 800 RPM then returns to the mechanical setting and stays there unless RPM drops to 500 RPM. The amount of retard on start for Duraspark II my be different depending on application. The one I posted was used on a turbo charged 4 cylinder. The only reason I had that particular in-house Ford document is because I worked at a Lincoln-Mercury Dealership in 1978/79. Detailed documentation and information is hard to find outside of original Ford documents. Chuck

Chuck...kudos to you!!!

I'm not sure which, if not all of the Duraspark IIs, have the retard on start. I do know the Duraspark I does not have retard on start. My MSD Digital 6 box retards 20 degrees until RPM reaches 800 RPM then returns to the mechanical setting and stays there unless RPM drops to 500 RPM. The amount of retard on start for Duraspark II my be different depending on application. The one I posted was used on a turbo charged 4 cylinder. The only reason I had that particular in-house Ford document is because I worked at a Lincoln-Mercury Dealership in 1978/79. Detailed documentation and information is hard to find outside of original Ford documents. Chuck

And that is why he's the TECH GUY!!!

Wolverine : would you agree there is a timing retard on startup only?
I believe Chuck is instigating a conspiracy against my logical beliefs and completely photoshopped every page he showed on this forum in an effort to denigrate me and my overwhelming evidence which was contrary to everything he posted.

In other words...I do now.

That is why, for the remainder of this particular post, Chuck the Almighty.

And, believe it not, I am as grateful to be proven wrong as I am to be proven right....otherwise I would have little gratitude at all.

Points do trigger the discharge of the coil. I said it before and I stand by it. rotor passing the cap contact is not what causes the coil to fire.

Even when points are not in the equation it is still the loss of ground for the coil that causes it to fire.
With all due respect, how stuff works isn't all that credible to me.

Set up a video camera to demonstrate the following:

1. Make sure your life insurance is paid up.

2. Have a final beverage of your choice.

3. Wet your left hand.

4. Wet a finger from your right hand that you won't miss in the event you survive step 8.

5. Remove the ignition wire from the coil.

6. Put 6/12 volts to your coil for 3 seconds and remove the ground wire.

If you are correct at this point the coil has fired and is devoid of electrical power.

7. Put your wet left hand on your engine.

8. Put your wet finger into the coil.

9. Have your widowed wife post the video here.

No. Don't do this. You can do this to prove your point instead.

You just need a timing light and a test lead:

1. Remove coil ignition wire at distributor.

2. Using test lead, ground the ignition wire.

3. Put the timing light clamp around the the grounded ignition wire.

4. Crank the car.

If you are correct, you will see pulses...after all the points are responsible for the timing of the spark. If you don't see pulses....

With all due respect, howstuffworks.com is about as credible to me as Arnold Schwarzenegger(would you believe if you spell this guys name wrong, our beloved web site gives you hell?) swearing on a stack of Maria Shrivers that he was at least as faithful to her as Bill Clinton was to Hillary.

How about this reference- 1971 Ford Service Manual, Engine, Ignition.

1971_FordServiceManual_Engine_IgnitionBasics.pdf

Bottom of the first page, first column

2448jly.jpg

Set up a video camera to demonstrate the following:

1. Make sure your life insurance is paid up.

2. Have a final beverage of your choice.

3. Wet your left hand.

4. Wet a finger from your right hand that you won't miss in the event you survive step 8.

5. Remove the ignition wire from the coil.

6. Put 6/12 volts to your coil for 3 seconds and remove the ground wire.

If you are correct at this point the coil has fired and is devoid of electrical power.

7. Put your wet left hand on your engine.

8. Put your wet finger into the coil.

9. Have your widowed wife post the video here.

No. Don't do this. You can do this to prove your point instead.

You just need a timing light and a test lead:

1. Remove coil ignition wire at distributor.

2. Using test lead, ground the ignition wire.

3. Put the timing light clamp around the the grounded ignition wire.

4. Crank the car.

If you are correct, you will see pulses...after all the points are responsible for the timing of the spark. If you don't see pulses....

So, what was your point for starting this thread?
I did not believe the Duraspark II had the capability to retard the ignition timing.

I was refuting a statement made by a fellow member, Mike I believe. I really gave it to him...

I stand corrected...but not humbled.

Attachments

• 1971_FordServiceManual_Engine_IgnitionBasics.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
I see how you treat the new members, we no nuffin about nuffin :-}
NAH! that's just the way his mind works. New members will get to know older members peculiarities as time goes on. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, I really hadn't noticed that our members, myself included, had peculiarities. I learn something new everyday, when I pay attention.

James, Glad I could provide the information you needed.

Mike, Thank you for keeping your sense of humor, keep posting.

I used to think I came here to exchange car information. I now understand that the site provides real entertainment value as well. A good way to start my day. Chuck

peculiarity [pɪˌkjuːlɪˈærɪtɪ]

n pl -ties

1. a strange or unusual habit or characteristic

2. a distinguishing trait, etc. that is characteristic of a particular person; idiosyncrasy

3. the state or quality of being peculiar

n pl -ties

2. a distinguishing trait, etc. that is characteristic of a particular person; idiosyncrasy

Should I have said idiosycrasies? OOP.

n pl -ties

Should I have said idiosycrasies? OOP.
pluralid·i·o·syn·cra·sies

Definition of IDIOSYNCRASY

a: a peculiarity of constitution or temperament : an individualizing characteristic or quality

b: individual hypersensitiveness (as to a drug or food)

: characteristic peculiarity (as of temperament); broadly: eccentricity

— id·i·o·syn·crat·ic adjective

— id·i·o·syn·crat·i·cal·ly adverb

See idiosyncrasy defined for English-language learners »

See idiosyncrasy defined for kids »

Examples of IDIOSYNCRASY

Her habit of using “like” in every sentence was just one of her idiosyncrasies.

The current system has a few idiosyncracies.

Origin of IDIOSYNCRASY

Greek idiosynkrasia, from idio- + synkerannynai to blend, from syn- + kerannynai to mingle, mix — more at crater

First Known Use: 1604

What a great thread. Although I learned a heck of a lot more about ignition electronics than I ever imagined I would want to, much of it was at least semi-interesting. Even with the touch and go advice/evaluation/counter-advice/counter-evaluation, etc., a careful examination of each post reveals not one profanity, a few "aha" moments, and a liberal dose of humor.

:goodpost:

I think I'm going to submit this for the "Thread of the Month" contest. :p

Latest posts

Back