Can a Durspark Distributor/Module do this....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system4.htm

Points do trigger the discharge of the coil. I said it before and I stand by it. rotor passing the cap contact is not what causes the coil to fire.

Even when points are not in the equation it is still the loss of ground for the coil that causes it to fire.
With all due respect, howstuffworks.com is about as credible to me as Arnold Schwarzenegger(would you believe if you spell this guys name wrong, our beloved web site gives you hell?) swearing on a stack of Maria Shrivers that he was at least as faithful to her as Bill Clinton was to Hillary.

How about this reference- 1971 Ford Service Manual, Engine, Ignition.

Bottom of the first page, first column

2448jly.jpg

Set up a video camera to demonstrate the following:

1. Make sure your life insurance is paid up.

2. Have a final beverage of your choice.

3. Wet your left hand.

4. Wet a finger from your right hand that you won't miss in the event you survive step 8.

5. Remove the ignition wire from the coil.

6. Put 6/12 volts to your coil for 3 seconds and remove the ground wire.

If you are correct at this point the coil has fired and is devoid of electrical power.

7. Put your wet left hand on your engine.

8. Put your wet finger into the coil.

9. Have your widowed wife post the video here.

No. Don't do this. You can do this to prove your point instead.

You just need a timing light and a test lead:

1. Remove coil ignition wire at distributor.

2. Using test lead, ground the ignition wire.

3. Put the timing light clamp around the the grounded ignition wire.

4. Crank the car.

If you are correct, you will see pulses...after all the points are responsible for the timing of the spark. If you don't see pulses....

So, what was your point for starting this thread?
I did not believe the Duraspark II had the capability to retard the ignition timing.

I was refuting a statement made by a fellow member, Mike I believe. I really gave it to him...

I stand corrected...but not humbled.
If I caught this thread soon enough I would confirmed this from my experences running fire alarm in buildings. Certain devices ues diodes to prevent contactors from transforming the voltage and arcing thenselves to death when the voltage stops. It basically backfeeds the transformer so that if it had originally stepped the voltage down, say from 120v to 12v, when it backfeeds itself it will instead step up the voltage, so 120v to 1200v, for a split second. Direct Current, battery current, doesn't transform, but when it is pulsed like it is in cars the electric field collapses in the same way AC does when the power is cut. So, in short, the coil will only discharge when the voltage is no longer being fed to the coil because that is the only time DC can be transformed to a higher voltage.

Direct Current, battery current, doesn't transform, but when it is pulsed like it is in cars the electric field collapses in the same way AC does when the power is cut. So, in short, the coil will only discharge when the voltage is no longer being fed to the coil because that is the only time DC can be transformed to a higher voltage.
I will have to get back to you on this...where did I put that physics book?

Direct Current, battery current, doesn't transform, but when it is pulsed like it is in cars the electric field collapses in the same way AC does when the power is cut. So, in short, the coil will only discharge when the voltage is no longer being fed to the coil because that is the only time DC can be transformed to a higher voltage.
I will have to get back to you on this...where did I put that physics book?
I could lend you a couple of my DC theory and ac theory books. I'd scan them but their pretty thick. Hope I don't have to ship them I'd go broke.

Just remember this: in actuality, electrons run from the negative battery terminal to the positive, not the other way around.

This is a closely held secret in physics. Shhhhh!

Just remember this: in actuality, electrons run from the negative battery terminal to the positive, not the other way around.

Thats true but the more improtant thing governing electricity is difference in potential. That why there always has to be a ground.

Just stricktly a matter of attraction. Particles that is.

Latest posts

Back