Car dies after driving about 1/2 hour

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a bad cell your battery can show an acceptable voltage but when a load is applied the bad cell won't be able to carry a load. If you don't have a battery load tester take it to a parts store that offers free testing. A lot easier to start with the battery.

I would also make sure your battery terminals aren't corroded and make sure your engine and chassis grounds are good.

You have several components involved in starting the engine, start with the easiest (everything under the hood) before going to the hardest (the starter).

With a bad cell your battery can show an acceptable voltage but when a load is applied the bad cell won't be able to carry a load. If you don't have a battery load tester take it to a parts store that offers free testing. A lot easier to start with the battery.

I would also make sure your battery terminals aren't corroded and make sure your engine and chassis grounds are good.

You have several components involved in starting the engine, start with the easiest (everything under the hood) before going to the hardest (the starter).
Thanks, I'll do that...……………

Thanks, I'll do that...……………
Battery checked good at 2 separate parts stores. Replaced positive battery cable because of a broken end. Car seems to run normal now. :thankyouyellow:

This problem just started within the last month or so. The car starts normal and runs and drives great for about a half hour, then just quits like its running  out of gas. The charging system is good and I have a quarter tank of good gas indicated. After sitting for a while it starts right back up and drives normally again. I thought maybe vapor lock because it's been hot here and I also changed the fuel filter as cheap insurance. This just happened again yesterday at a pretty busy intersection, and if it weren't for my son-in-law, and the nicest young cop I've ever met, it could have been worse. I'm going to have the battery load tested, but I don't think it's an electrical problem. I am leaning towards the fuel pump. What do you guys think?
Hey Danno ..... about 15 years ago I experienced the same issue with my 71 Convertible.  Unfortunately, I was driving from NY to NC.  I would drive for about 30 minutes and then she would die.  This happened throughout my entire trip.  So every 20 minutes or so I would pull over and wait for the car to cool down.  When I got home I changed the coil wire ...... no more issues.  It appears the wire would get hot and shut down.  Who would have thunk !  It's a cheap fix.  Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back