Carb installation questions.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredensborg

I like music, languages, weaponry, and freedom.
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
1980 Bronco
A couple modern Fords
So while installing this new Edelbrock carb I ran into an issue. On my old Holley, the throttle linkage hooked up the the silver ball thingy. And the little black clip on the right held a silver arm (not sure what it is) in place. 

On the Edelbrock, the silver ball thing won't fit into any of the holes. Do I just buy a different sized ball thing and stab it into the closest hole on the carb throttle arm? And as for the silver arm, it looks like it matches pretty close with that circle shaped deal behind it. Hook it up there?

Oh and one more question...on the old Holley the ground wire for the choke was ran back to the carb body. Is this acceptable? Can I do the same on the Edelbrock, or should I run a "proper" ground to the car body somewhere? 

how to upload photos to the internet

u can buy the ball hook up's on ebay. don't recall the tech name off hand. but i'm surprised it didn't fit, i went from a holley to edelbrock and it fit on mine.. also u can use the carb as a ground but better to find something close on the intake to use instead.

u can buy the ball hook up's on ebay. don't recall the tech name off hand. but i'm surprised it didn't fit, i went from a holley to edelbrock and it fit on mine.. also u can use the carb as a ground but better to find something close on the intake to use instead.
The back part of the ball gizmo is too big to fit in any of those holes. I need one with smaller threads. 

Edelbrock sells the throttle ball that you need and also the one for the tranny kick down rod.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/carburetors/access-non-edelbrock.shtml

Go halfway down the page.
Thanks for the throttle ball link, that looks like exactly what I need. So for the tranny kick down rod, I will need some other type of connector?

The back part of the ball gizmo is too big to fit in any of those holes. I need one with smaller threads. 

Edelbrock sells the throttle ball that you need and also the one for the tranny kick down rod.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/carburetors/access-non-edelbrock.shtml

Go halfway down the page.
Thanks for the throttle ball link, that looks like exactly what I need. So for the tranny kick down rod, I will need some other type of connector?
I believe so, right below the throttle ball link there is the kickdown part that you will probably need.  Check the new carb and see if there is a way to connect it, if not then you will need that additional part too.

Ok, so the ball linkage thing I understand. But I'm still a little confused on the transmission kick down. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Here is a closeup of that side of the carb.

To me, it doesn't look like the tranny kickdown thing in your link will work. 

It looks like there are a couple of pieces that swivel on this connector. 

If I pull that pin, all it does is release that little arm. When I turn it by hand it moves the choke around. It doesn't feel like something that is meant to come out, like it's pressed in  or something. Forgive me if I am being overly cautious/stupid. I just really don't want to screw this up.

Others may let us know if the kick-down is set up right but that should be the linkage you need in this photo.

Jeff

(Sorry the photo loaded like this- car was standing on its head :)

carb photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, looks like I might need some type of an adapter kit? I don't have anything with a big spring that hooks to an arm on the front drivers side like you do. Anyone know what that might be called?

I don't know if you really need that holder and spring. One thing I was thinking of was the part that guides the throttle assembly. On my car it had been modified and made wider to place the components in line with the edelbrock. With the holley it no longer lined up

We modified the kick down lever by bending it a bit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

They mention a throttle Cable plate in the description of the adapter.  I think that is the part I was trying to describe above.  

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
This gizmo here I think I what you are talking about right?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1490/10002/-1

I don't know if I will need this. I have an aftermarket intake, and I thought this is meant for a stock one?

Hey Jeff, does this look like what you have going on with your linkages??

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1483/10002/-1?ymm=4294829746+4294829830+4294829436
That is the adapter that you need, it will solve both your throttle linkage and kickdown problems. Where you are showing your kickdown rod is part of the choke fast idle circuit.

You may need the throttle cable bracket, also, or modify your existing one.

Yes, you can connect the choke ground screws to the carburetor.

Back