center gauges question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kammertime

Reaction score
My Car
1973 "Q" code convertible
I was changing all my dash bulbs to LED when I remembered that the TEMP gauge in the center pod did not seem to work so I thought I would check the wiring.

Both the TEMP and OIL wiring seems to be backward. The TEMP gauge has the red/white wire on the inside post and the ground on the outer post. The OIL has the white/red wire on the outside post and the ground on the inside post. The gauge housing which has the wiring positions imprinted on it states just the opposite if I am reading it correctly. To add to my confusion, the OIL gauge still works. What is correct ??

Thanks,

John

I was changing all my dash bulbs to LED when I remembered that the TEMP gauge in the center pod did not seem to work so I thought I would check the wiring.

Both the TEMP and OIL wiring seems to be backward. The TEMP gauge has the red/white wire on the inside post and the ground on the outer post. The OIL has the white/red wire on the outside post and the ground on the inside post. The gauge housing which has the wiring positions imprinted on it states just the opposite if I am reading it correctly. To add to my confusion, the OIL gauge still works. What is correct ??

Thanks,

John
Follow the instructions on the back of the gauge cluster.

OK, I think I found the problem.

My OIL gauge is on the left side of the 3 gauge pod; TEMP is on the right.

The owners manual shows them opposite of mine. That explains why the wiring was reversed (I think !!).

John

Back