Chip Foose

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0450.PNGPerfect tail light for the body lines.

The first pic looks great (I admit).  The third pic... not too bad.  But the middle pic - bleh... too "'69 Charger" for my liking.

Hey Ray. Looking at the side by side you posted it looks like his first intention was to have a tail light panel that was more curved like a 69 but he ended up leaving it the stock flatness. I'm looking forward to seeing what treatment he has in mind for the space between the lights. I'm guessing honeycomb. I hope the gas cap goes back in the middle. One of my favourite things about a mustang rear panel. We shall see. Id love it if this car made its way to Toronto somehow or I might have to fly out to see it somewhere. I don't think I've ever cared so much about walking around one of his cars do much. Appreciating it on tv was a enough till now

Angelo, I do have great respect for Chip. I'm slow to comment because who am I to give opinion to such a successful pro car builder, but, here goes in spite,lol. When I look at the rear panel straight on, I see the top wider than the bottom, counter effective in a sports car look. Also that being the flow, it almost looks like the sides are fallin out rather than tapering like the drawing and not to be negative but constructive, perhaps with that shape going on ,the tail lights seam to fight the flow and should perhaps be reversed left and right so the top of the tail light leans out like the body does. Get what I'm saying ? Again not being critical rather just the way I see it. I too am anxious to see how he pulls all that together. Maybe if I pick on Chip a little, he would counter pick on me, and that would be a great honor. Lol ! No such luck ,haha.

I wouldn't call that "picking on" Ray. That's simply your personal take on the build. It's clearly not a stab nor do we want to compete with the man. He's putting his spin on a car like you or I. Only thing he can't do is tell us how we're supposed to feel about it good or bad. Same thing in life. One thinks they're perceived in a certain way but really what they are projecting is received differently than what they expect. So of course you can be sure that you will never make everyone happy so you aim for other markers like making yourself and people you respect happy. Who ever tags along tags along. If your big enough to take constructive criticism even better. I'm pretty sure Chip gets more bouquets thrown st his feel than negativity. This is why I need to appreciate this car in person and take in all the lines without camera distortion. Let's make a pilgrimage out of it Ray lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
3f4a1aac302ddde8d9e928dcf372bf89.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dc9d0a09c139bf78a94db4922367589f.png

Not really liking the idea of this - mostly because there is absolutely nothing wrong with the '71-'73 interior.  In fact, one of the main reasons that drew me to the car was the way the dashboard slopes down and away from the driver, offering much more legroom than the more modern dashboards that slope down and toward the driver (restricting legroom).  Being 6'5" with a 36-inch inseam, that's an incredibly important consideration of mine.

I get it - it's a custom one-off.  But things of this nature fall into the, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should," category for me - I look at any custom car from the perspective of, "is this something I could live with," rather than just, "someone else's custom car."  That's probably why I'm so critical of these things.

That interior inside that car is the epitome of, "square peg in a round hole."

Once again, just my opinion.  :whistling:

c15a999ad95562fec756f886e38c3b11.png

Now, that's what I'm talking about.  It's custom, fairly modern, and doesn't completely throw away the '71-'73 style.  Just stay away from the back end.   rofl

6ea24a6ac45f60b85152e9c0889810ea.png

ff29a45b612e3b30cd03800d1571a445.png

It looks good. I can't wait to see the finished product

The lights under the bumper do look a little Camaro-ish because of their position but the fronts of these muscle cars always had much in common. Mine are in the same spot but my front apron is less open and changes the look. I almost didn't put them in because of the Camaro resemblance but they look cool enough to risk it.

Back