Cole's build thread.... am I missing something here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's about as far as the two I've looked at will come out.

It's is a little bit cleaner in there. :cool:

9fr7gp.jpg

You are disassembling the lifter itself-If you keep the existing cam, then you need to either keep all the lifters marked as to their location, or you will need to replace the lifters.

They will come out, but if there is wear in the lifter bores, it can hang up a bit. Get a pair of picks with hook shaped ends like these

but go cheap if you have no other use these http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html will do fine.

Don't worry about tearing something up-you will whether you want to or not. :D

It is part of the learning process.

I'm still happy to come down for a day and help you get it all back together, into the car and running when you are ready No extra charge for dropped valves!

Don't worry about tearing something up-you will whether you want to or not. :D

It is part of the learning process.

I'm still happy to come down for a day and help you get it all back together, into the car and running when you are ready No extra charge for dropped valves!
Cool. A play date. Can I come too?

Generous and kind offers for sure. Don you got kid duty. Bring lots of Swiss Cake Rolls, French Fries, Pretzels...... I'll send you a list. rofl

When you get a chance Bro shipping on that rocker arm to 35007 and I'll pay pal ya for your expenses.

Vice grips worked great. Don't force it, use bigger pliers.

Been a while guys. LOL

My top end rebuild thread was combined with my original rebuild thread and that will simplify things here.

I need help on a new distributor and coil combo? Got a couple C notes left over from my parts list.

Going with this cam: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-524422 This timing belt and gears: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-3121 Stock oil pump and a high pressure spring with bigger shaft. New valley pan with gaskets and new gasket set to include the head gaskets.

Any suggestions. Would rather not fool with the points if I can get electronic and for sure want the tach to work when finished. Any suggestions from Summits site to keep it all on the same order.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Cole

I put in a Duraspark dizzy with a control module from Advance Auto and an Accel Super Coil (same thing Mr. 4x4 did).

NPD sells a wiring harness specifically for this application, and even I could get it right :)

And my factory tach still works just llike it always did... I didn't need to do anything special to make it work... Although, the PO had put in an HEI distributor, so my conversion may have had something already tweaked before I did the swap to the Duraspark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Autozone or Orielies has the distributor cheaper than sumit. No need to buy the harness unless you want the connectors. All you have to do is chop the plug off the box and distributor and run wires between them and one to the coil. Easy peasy.

I bought a rebuilt and custom curved duraspark from Scott Johnston at ReInCarNation http://reincarnation-automotive.com/home

It was $170 shipped, which is more than you can get one for at a parts store, but it is rebuilt from a better (original) core. I talked to Scott, he asked me all the right questions about my motor, wheel size, transmission, rear end gears... HGe sent me a distributor with a customized advance curve. I'm happy with it, but it did not come with a rotor or cap, but you can get those anywhere.

I picked up the control module and super coil from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Like Don says, you really don't need the harness, but it sure made things a lot simpler and took any guesswork out of it.

The distributor you list is made by Performance Distributors in Memphis Tennessee. It is not simply a rebuilt distributor. They still use the old fashioned machines to tune each one. they also use a different bearing set up. Check out their site. I run/ran one of their HEI distributors and other than the fact that it is a big son of a bitch, install was stupid easy and it was dead reliable.

Love your camshaft selection- nearly identical to the solid lifter cam I was running. You should feel a major power surge around 3500 rpm!

Jordan recommended the Cam so he gets credit for that. Thanks Mark and Jeff. Really I just found a place to get sound advice from good people who know and are happy to share.

Hey yall. I dropped that distributor from my order. Got some floorpans and front and rear engine aprons. Thought I needed those worse but all the other is on the way!!!

How does the upper (larger) timing gear come off. Removed the fuel pump eccentric bearing and the gear has a little movement but does not want to come outward. Does the bolts behind the gear need to come off.

Thanks in advance.

Got the timing gear off last night. New gears and chain arrived yesterday along with oil pump, spring and shaft and I expect the cam, lifters and gasket sets later this week. Floor pans and interior fender aprons due in also.

Been stressing too many parts laying around with not enough time. Remember I got a suspension rebuild with new springs and all laying in the corner. I need to chill and just work a little here and there. Set new goals and enjoy myself.

New goal; late spring.

Every day on top of the grass is a good one. :)

I hear you about parts all over the place. I picked up a third motorcycle that needs the carbs rebuilt and am looking at a 1970 F100 that needs brakes all around and a bunch of rust scraped off. I need to just hire a full time mechanic for a 2-3 week trial and when everything is done, send him to work for you.

Back