Cole's build thread.... am I missing something here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys I just went ahead and bought a hoist. The 2 ton was on sale at Harbor Freight so I just pulled the trigger on that. My schedule so evolves around this little girl I guess sometime people don't understand when ya say I can come get it but it has to be before school gets out or before the bus comes in the morning. I'm limited on free time. My closest friends understand but sometimes I worry more distant friends might think I'm one of those do it in my time and my way or don't do it at all type people.

Assembled the hoist this morning while MA (Mary Ann) was still asleep. When the boom slid out and made a huge clang on the basement floor I thought my work time was over. LOL So much for stealth.

Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights....."

Last edited by a moderator:
Any tricks for getting the engine and the tranny separated completely. There is about an inch gap all around so I know there's no more bolts. It's cleared both the guide pins. How far forward do I need to go before I start lifting up.

Call me stuck block from now on if you must. LOL

It is possible to pull it with the t/c still attached. It's a balancing act though lol thats how I had to pull mine when I rounded off one of the t/c bolts don't use a 12 point on tight brass fittings... at least mine looked like brass

It is possible to pull it with the t/c still attached. It's a balancing act though lol thats how I had to pull mine when I rounded off one of the t/c bolts don't use a 12 point on tight brass fittings... at least mine looked like brass
+1. I had to buy a bolt remover thingamajig to get the sucker out. :(

It'll come out with the TC still attached but have to have balance like in Star Wars. Use the Force (of a jack under the trans) to get them both balanced and wiggle the engine and TC out of the trans. Or just unbolt the TC and leave it in the trans bell housing.

Sorry for the Star Wars humor been wanting to watch the original 3 movies for a few weeks but haven't had the opportunity.

I'm gonna go the balancing act later tonight and give that a shot. Hey thanks for the call last night. Sorry I was kinda brief me and the fiance were just sitting down to dinner.

For sure not getting under the car now Jeff.

Be carful while doing the balancing act, I have seen people damage the pump while leaving the converter attached. Good luck!

Hi,

No balancing act for me... i make the front plate removable (no welding only bolts in blind rivets).

The complete engine with torque converter and FMX box go's flat on the engine mounting brackets(i hope that i can mount the hedders also on the engine and put all together in the car).

I go try this next month, i keep you in touch.

Hi,

No balancing act for me... i make the front plate removable (no welding only bolts in blind rivets).

The complete engine with torque converter and FMX box go's flat on the engine mounting brackets(i hope that i can mount the hedders also on the engine and put all together in the car).

Sorry - I don't understand why you want the core support bolted in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally is the core support welded on the front inner fender aprons, i can remove the core support(it's a big gab).

I hope its easier to place the complete engine with tranny on the mounting blocks.

Hi,

Sorry - I don't understand why you want the core support bolted in?

8y6r1d.jpg

There is no more room at the inn! Now I can clean this place up. Making about every mistake there is I guess but this sucker is out!!! Did have one converter nut that stripped. Had to wonder wheel it off but looks like the threads survived.

Again many, many thanks for all the help.

Going slow Jeff. Been doing the Mr. Mom for the couple weeks with no summer school or camp. I should get back into the swing in another week or so.

Got back on here the other night and had a nice PM from Don asking if all was OK. Very thoughtful of him.

I did spend a little of my engine money on a small vacation with my honey too. I needed a break for sure. I should be able to get some of the parts needed next week to start work again.

Started to take my lifters out and I'm not sure if the sleeve is suppose to come out of the block. It's easy enough pulling the clip and sliding the lifter and spring out but that sleeve looks like it might come out from the bottom. Confused on that and really don't want to force something and damage the block????

Thanks for checking up on this Bro. Hope all is going well with your engine.

Cole

everything is going slow, but no issues to speak of.

Lifters reside in the block above the cam and below the pushrods. They are generally not sleeved unless someone has built the block up for higher oil pressure. Are you disassembling the lifters while they sit in the block? I've always just either plucked them out either by hand or with a small pick, or if they are going to be trashed, just turn the engine upside down and then turn the rotating assembly.

How about a close up picture?

Back