Cole's build thread.... am I missing something here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you will probably need to soak it with a penetrant. Kroil is good, but expensive. ATF mixed with Acetone is probably the cheapest and one of the best I have used. Your problem comes from it being torn down so far that there is nothing to keep the engine from turning over. Put two or more long bolts into the damper where the pulley was removed and use them with a pry bar/large screwdriver to resist the impact wrench's initial torque. Do not pry forward or backwards on the damper or try and clamp to the outer ring in any way as you will destroy it. You could hold the crank by the flex plate or through the rear crank bolt holes if the transmission was detached.

Gonna give it some more PB Blaster soaking. It may have to wait till the engine comes out. I found someone willing to let me borrow a hoist so that should go this week sometime.

As always thanks a ton for the advice.

Any trick to getting the main bolt in the center of the harmonic balancer off. Hit it a few times with the impact wrench but didn't see any movement. 1/2 socket is just going to turn the crank and move the pistons. Maybe its easier when the engine is out?
Pull the starter and see if there is a way to block the flex plate from turning with a screwdriver through a hole or something similar. Once the engine is secured from turning then you can use a 1/2-in socket to remove the crank bolt.

you could do the rope trick you put rope inside of cylinder #1 from the spark plug hole, keep feeding the rope until it gets hard then put the socket on the crank bolt and it will turn over till the piston locks against the rope allowing you to remove the bolt.

you could do the rope trick you put rope inside of cylinder #1 from the spark plug hole, keep feeding the rope until it gets hard then put the socket on the crank bolt and it will turn over till the piston locks against the rope allowing you to remove the bolt.
He's already removed the heads.

Nothing beats the legs pushing one way and the arms pulling the other. I am "vertically challenged" so climbing up there in front of the engine bay worked ok. Thanks for all the tips guys.

So it's off to Home Depot to look for a bolt long enough and the right size and thread to use for the puller I bought.

Hopefully next pics posted will be this bad boy getting yanked. ;)

o0uufl.jpg

That is pulling out right ain't it. Paranoid I'm gonna screw something up and it cost big money.

Waiting on the machinist to square deck and bore the block so I can source or order everything else. Should get the dimensions in a week or so then I have a 3-4 week wait for the parts to be built. I'd like to fire it up by my birthday on August 18, but I think it is going to be later than that.

Thankfully, I have my Harley running and riding better than new so I have some small distraction.

Waiting on the machinist to square deck and bore the block so I can source or order everything else. Should get the dimensions in a week or so then I have a 3-4 week wait for the parts to be built. I'd like to fire it up by my birthday on August 18, but I think it is going to be later than that.

Thankfully, I have my Harley running and riding better than new so I have some small distraction.
That's not too long if you make the 18th. Know the Harley running helps in the wait. Ride in the evening. It was brutal down here today and don't think a bike could have even made it fun.

How much play should there be in the timing chain? I'm gonna replace it anyway I was just curious. I got over an inch of play. I think I could make it skip a tooth with a good sized screwdriver. That can't be right.

Ya know on hindsight all these troubles are probably a blessing. Varnish in the tank leads to a new fuel system, which leads to that carb trouble I had overflowing even after float and valve replacement which lead to me changing directions to 4V, which lead to pulling the valve covers to find bent push rods, corroded ports all kinds of broken oil deflectors. And the timing chain's got so much play in it I should donate to the local schools PE class for a jump rope.

What if one of those things had not been found. She would have ran till she died a metallic death.

If you look at it right troubles can be blessings. "Thought for the day"

1/2" max. It's done. If it has a nylon top gear, (or what's left of one) even more reason to replace it.
Thanks for the max tolerance Totalled. I knew she was toast. Hey man super duper impressed with your build thread going on. You're kickin it for sure. I've got a front end rebuild box of new parts I'll probably start tinkering with when I yank the engine. I saw you did yours. May have to hit you up later for a what comes off and when as soon as I get the wrenches on that part. Again Bro mighty impressed with your progress on yours!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure. The whole thing has looked pretty much from the factory so far. I'll go with your experience over mine anyday. LOL Found this site from another post: http://mustangtek.com/block/Block.html

I'll brush away some grime and check the casting numbers tonight. Hopefully I will firm up when I can meet with my buddy and grab his engine hoist this week. Thanks for following and helping me along. Couldn't do it without all yall!!!

Back