Console Gauges - Dakota for replacements

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

well i took out my console gauges just to put the white face gauges on them and when i reinstalled them the temp gauge stopped working. i know when i tried to put them back ine one of the post fell in and i had to hold it to bolt it back to the casing. well now it won't work. i made sure it wasn't the sending unit by ground the wire. i grounded the black wire behind the guage and still nothing. but the weird thing is, all of a sudden the ALT gauges wants to work.

now i want a replacement and because i can't read how hot my temp is getting. and thats not great when i run march pullies which slows down the water pump.

has anybody replaced all these guages? what sizes are they? if so, the indications read down and not like other gauges that read towards up.

i wouldn't mind the dakota gauges because these three gauges are something that stays stable and not like the speedo and the rpm that raises constantly and really never stays at one number. anybody got a link to purchase only the console gauges?

i have the dakota digital installed in mine love it. check my garage theres a pic in there
Was the Dakota easy to install? I'd like to add that to the 72 coupe since it doesn't have a tach.

Hey Olie. Didn't I sell you some 460 brackets a few years ago? I have an original temp gauge I can send you if you're interested.
omg, it must of been 9 years since thats happened. your name looks so familar from the fordmuscle forum, which is now dead and they forced it that way when they started deleting post from people that didn't relate to car stuff directly. and they did this because the site got too popular i guess.

the funny thing is, after you found the PS brackets for me and sent them to me and i sent you the payment and went to the junkyard for a dipstick and throttle bracket. i started finding exactly what PS bracket i needed. however, it was still the best 70 dollar transaction i've gone thru for 460 stuff.

is there a way you can make sure that gauge still works?

i have the dakota digital installed in mine love it. check my garage theres a pic in there
Was the Dakota easy to install? I'd like to add that to the 72 coupe since it doesn't have a tach.
oh man it was to easy... im a plumber not an electrison. that being said, im not to shabby at electrical. but all you do is put gauges in your existing housings, the middle one where ur fule gauge is gets to be voided and now a clock, on your existing dash circuit boad deal, just track blinkers, high beams and a few others and plug them in to ur box from dakota digital and ur done... now you have to program your fule ohms (2 options like 2 ohms or 6 something like that, ours is a 2) and set your speedo all that takes is you driving with like a gps or a buddy and set it that way, any other questions about the dakota digital feel free to ask me i did it all by my self and its stupid easy

and thers just enough room to mount the box behind the gauge cluster WATCH OUT !!!!! i used self tapping screws but mount it to the right!!! if you go center or left of that you will drill through the brace and drill through the cowl... ie not good

Last edited by a moderator:
roy, it looks like which the dakotas that you will have to tap into that large harness behind the speedo. it looks like that'll be a huge pain in the ass. i guess the good thing is that it'll except a negative hook up for the tach.
I have a new Ron Francis wiring harness so not an issue for me. No use putting new modern gauges in a 40 year old harness.

I replaced mine with a set of those mechanical mini-gauges they sell at the local parts store. That way I get an actual temp reading and oil pressure number. I had to doctor up the back of my gauge holder plastic a bit, but I got them to fit perfectly so that from the front they look totally stock.

I replaced mine with a set of those mechanical mini-gauges they sell at the local parts store. That way I get an actual temp reading and oil pressure number. I had to doctor up the back of my gauge holder plastic a bit, but I got them to fit perfectly so that from the front they look totally stock.
PICS????????????????????

I have a new Ron Francis wiring harness so not an issue for me. No use putting new modern gauges in a 40 year old harness.
Nice, did you guy a customized wiring harness or their 'generic' retro one? My apologies for the threadjacking btw. I may look into creating a separate 'wiring harness' thread in the future (and a few more future ones once my main computer is back up and running and I can upload the pics from my resto work from the HDD). :D

Nice, did you guy a customized wiring harness or their 'generic' retro one? My apologies for the threadjacking btw. I may look into creating a separate 'wiring harness' thread in the future (and a few more future ones once my main computer is back up and running and I can upload the pics from my resto work from the HDD). :D
http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AC%2D67

Back