Cooper Cobra or BFgoodrich ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you want to kill yourself install cooper tires, i'm not kidding.

i wish there was a way to rent tires for testing for like 2 days, because you will not know the difference unless you had different tires on the car to see the handling difference.

i had cooper tires on my car for about 8 years. i thought that was just how things were the car felt like it was slipping all over the road in all conditions even worse when the road was wet. i fish tailed at least 2 times over the years in what should of been normal conditions almost hit a guard rail once.

a couple of years ago i googled cooper tires and it is like a rash all over the internet people taking about loosing control on the highway, crashing etc... i decided next set of tires was anything but coopers.

nobody makes tires basically you have cooper, BFG, pirelli. pirelli tires are like 400$ a tire. BFGs are at least half that so the choice was made BFG... GOODYEAR will custom make you a tire but it is more expensive then pirelli.

anyway really didn't think much of the BFG tires when i purchased them until my very first drive. night and day is an understatement.

call me a basher of tires until you try another manufacturer you have no idea as for tires i'm sure there is something better then BFG maybe the next tire i will find out. least i won't die just driving around at 30mph.

as an example of the change in grip, i have a 3:00 rear and with the coopers stopping on it allowed the car to do burn outs;

nothing changed except for the BFG tires and the tires just churp a little and the car goes.

good luck
Dan - nothing there, Man. I used the 'basher' term in a lovingly/brotherly manner (hence, the smiley). Your advice and information have been pretty much irrefutable since I've known you. You had a bad experience with the Cobras, just as others I've heard from as well - so, I get where you're coming from.

I honestly haven't had any bad experiences so far with my Cobras... but then again as I mentioned earlier, I only have something like 20 miles on them. I remain optimistic that they don't eventually experience the same issues yours did, but I'll still keep an eye out for trouble.

If i could jump back in here and add my 2 cents worth again.

Firstly, when drivers own any particular brand and style of tires and have had them on their car or cars for years, and tested them out well in most conditions, then you can bet they have come to know the tires pretty well and how they perform all 'round. So in that sense, every body has a story to tell based on their own experiences.

For example, Dan has given his feedback on Cooper Cobra tires based on his own experiences. I myself have never owned or driven on a set of Cooper Cobra tires in my life, so i wouldn't have a personal clue about those tires at all, and therefore can't comment on them at all. Also, many people have given me mixed feedback over the years on BFG's T/A Radials. Mixed is the word, as the reports have varied from a terrible shocking tire to a fantastic, best tire they have ever driven. I suspect though that BFG's quality and design has varied over the years from what i have heard, and that might have contributed to varied performance issues or handling issues.But again, i have never owned a set of T/A Radials,except when i bought my Mach 1. They were on the car when i bought it. I would have only driven about 50 miles, when i removed them and bought a new set of Avenger tires, and so can't really comment on them as well.

I have owned and driven on many Cooper Tire's Mastercraft Avenger GT's and think they are are great quality performance tire all 'round. I really have faith in them and think they are a fantastic tire, based on my own experiences.That's my personal story, and i have no hesitation in promoting these tires to other people based on my own experience.

So where it gets interesting is where you get back to the major brands themselves. Doing some research, reveals that the Cooper tire company of America makes several different brands of tires.(see my reference) For example, they make Mastercraft tires, Mickey Thompson Tires, Cooper Tires etc. From what i know in general, the Cooper Tire Company of America, has a good strong reputation in the world market place for producing quality tires. So what end's up being rather puzzling, is you can get a Cooper Cobra tire owner like Dan, who really low ranks and dislikes those tires, and on the other hand you can get an owner of the Mastercraft Avenger tires like myself, who speaks very highly of them, and likes them very much. That i don't understand, but it is what it is i guess, and that's that.

At the end of the day, it pays to listen to all the people who have had previous experience with their tires to help make up your mind as to which tire you eventually settle on buying for yourself.

REFERENCES:

http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Passenger.aspx

http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Passenger/Avenger-GT.aspx

http://coopertire.com/Our-Brands.aspx

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passenger/COBRA-RADIAL-G-T.aspx

Greg.:)

Excellent balanced view.........you would think since it is actually the same company producing the different tires that the tire compound would be almost the same. Just change the name on the tire every week, when a 'different' tire starts production!

Difficult this decision is, master Yoda! :)

Excellent balanced view.........you would think since it is actually the same company producing the different tires that the tire compound would be almost the same. Just change the name on the tire every week, when a 'different' tire starts production!

Difficult this decision is, master Yoda! :)
When you look around the world today, Anders, it's mind blowing how many base companies own heaps of other subsidiary companies as well, but trading under different names.:chin:

Top ten tire companies around the world.

http://top10-now.com/2015/09/19/top-10-tire-companies-in-the-world/

GENERAL REFERENCE:

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/american-owned-tire-companies-e2a2289365d30f67

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tire_companies

Greg.:)

My car spun into a wall wearing Cooper Cobra tires, I pass on Cooper. I am currently using BFG but will consider other options next time I am purchasing tires as the cost is 50 percent higher versus previous tire purchases.

I prefer cooper cobra over BFG radial t/a, it wears better and to me looks better, but I use Firestone Wide Oval as of late. But the BFG radial T/As are great tires I have heard

Last edited by a moderator:
Although the post started with a Cooper vrs Goodrich, have you considered Dunlop GT Qualifiers? I've had long-time experience with them on my 73 vert and other past mustangs and they have always performed well.

Unless you have upgraded your suspension and steering, and use it as a daily driver, it really doesn't matter. If you did all the upgrades, I would not go with either. There are better tires out there for dailys.

I have Coopers on my Boss and BFG on my Mach 1. I like both.

Hi Forum......I decided on a set of Mastercraft Avenger GT's. 235/60-15 front and 295/50-15 rear.

I am awaiting delivery from the US.

They certainly have the look that I want........hopefully handling will be ok too! :)

Will post pictures when tires arrive.

Hi Forum......I decided on a set of Mastercraft Avenger GT's. 235/60-15 front and 295/50-15 rear.

I am awaiting delivery from the US.

They certainly have the look that I want........hopefully handling will be ok too! :)

Will post pictures when tires arrive.
I have similar setup but with BFG and 245s in front. I love it.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Hi Anders,

Congrats on the new tires. ::thumb::   I love mine and i hope you will too. When you get the tires fitted and try them out for a while,driving in wet and dry conditions, let us know what you honestly think of them. I went with the 245/60 x 15 Avengers up front, and the 295/50 x 15 on the rear. I love ém. :p

Now - that bluey green coating is normal. The manufacturer puts that coating on as a help protection for the white lettering. You will find that if you boil your hot water kettle or jug, pour the hot water into a safe container, and using a fairly strong plastic  brisseled  brush, apply the hot water to the raised lettering, using a brisk brushing/rubbing motion. This action will dissolve the blue coating to reveal the fresh white letters.

I use this top quality product to keep my tires looking first class. It is a low sheen looking product, not slick and glossy, that looks rich and natural,  but does not produce product fling off onto the body of your car. You may be able to import it into your country - i don't know, but i think so. Also, it is good for the raised white lettering being kept clean and white. It also helps keep the rubber in top condition. I recommend it 100%.

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/tyre-sheen

Cheers,

Greg. :)

Back