Correct appearance of trunk side of tail light panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Trying posting this here from my build thread:

I am currently working on fixing rust issues in the trunk and inner fenders. As I ready to paint the trunk area I am curious on how the trunk side of the tail light panel it's supposed to look from factory - this is a hard picture to find since it has to be taken from inside the trunk. By no means I am performing a rotisserie restoration, but I would like to approximate as close as possible within my capabilities. After repairs, grinding, cleaning, prepping, I am covering the trunk floor with Rust Bullet, beadliner coating and trunk paint, but I don't know how the inside of the tail light panel is painted, how the center support of the panel is painted and how the trunk lock bracket is painted. Also, if someone has a picture of the trunk seal groove (without seal) where it meets the inside of the trunk it would be appreciated.

Another question, I have seen the exterior side of some tail light panels painted black, was this an option, or just customization?

This is what I am calling the trunk side or inside of the tail light panel:

imagehost ru

This maybe a little over kill. I sprayed mine lizard skin sound/heat control then sprayed it with duplicolor gray/black spakel paint.
This looks awesome. Did you spray the whole inside of the tail light panel with duplicolor? In the trunk where is the limit between trunk paint and exterior paint?

1971 M-code Mach 1

Damn, that looks SO sexy, Mike. ::thumb::

BK - blue?  Really?!  With all that gold glow inside the trunk? :whistling:

Those all look awesome, Gentlemen!  Thanks for sharing!  :coolphotos:

This maybe a little over kill. I sprayed mine lizard skin sound/heat control then sprayed it with duplicolor gray/black spakel paint.
I am doing the 71 in a similar fashion. I used U-pols multiliner inside the trunk area. Once the car is painted I will top coat it with the speckle trunk paint.

free html images

Last edited by a moderator:
I am doing the 71 in a similar fashion. I used U-pols multiliner inside the trunk area. Once the car is painted I will top coat it with the speckle trunk paint.
Upol is my next step. I got the idea of using this product from your thread.

[emoji106] [emoji106]

1971 M-code Mach 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Continuing with the trunk work, I have a few unknowns:

Now that I have the trunk and the repaired areas of the inner fender coated with 3 layer of Rust Bullet I am looking into seam sealing the overlaps and in between panels. However, as you can see in the picture, I had to cut a piece of the fender due to rust. The picture shows an underside view of the fender behind the wheel. I overlapped the new inner fender panel on top of the fender welding it with plug welds. The bottom of the fender now shows an overlap seam. I am not too concerned on making this look perfect, but I would like to do better. So I would describe what I am thinking of doing with the idea of getting some help from the forum. I will roughen the Rust Bullet coat with 120 grit, add some putty to smooth the overlap, spray with primer, and then spray with Argent paint. Does this make sense? If so, what type of putty should I use here? I have some 3M Bondo Glazing putty. With this plan, I seem to be missing the step of sealing the seam. I will seam seal on the inside, but I don't know if should do the outside and then shape it with putty. Help...... thank you.

20170306_121258.jpg

1971 M-code Mach 1

Back