Crashed the Mustang :(

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Collector car insurance with an agreed price policy will pay to repair or will total the car for the agreed price..Regular insurance isn't paying to fix it that's a given..will total & give you maybe a few grand if your lucky..The car needs to be disassembled put up on the frame machine & measured out do a frame damage assessment..& a thorough damage assessment for secondary damage..the sheet metal is no biggie..rough Idea on a complete job 20-30k by the time is all said & done..The roof.. firewall..floors ..door hinge pillers ..cowl..inner rockers are the areas alot of shops are going to miss..Hard call because of the sentimental value ..since you could buy a pretty mint coupe recreate the same car for the money your going to spend fixing this one..but with out really measuring disassemble it's all a estimate..once you really know the extent of the frame structural damage you can make an educated decision.
Thanks Q, at least that gives me a basic notion of what I'm getting myself into. At this point I'm not even considering getting rid of the car. I'm just mentally preparing myself for the ridiculous amount of dough I need to dish out to get her in shape. Over the years I've put more money into it than it's worth, so I'm obviously not looking into getting a return on my investment. I guess now I have a legitimate excuse to fix all that rust it accumulated sitting on my parents' driveway all these years :D
Your welcome..Step back take a chill & clear your head..They always look worse right after it happens..save a few bucks remove the damaged bolt on parts then YOU can do some measurements yourself..member mister4x4 has the unibody spec chart..May not be as bad as you think or it looks..

Man that makes me sick just looking at it. As Q said it is going to need the frame checked before a real assessment can be made, but from the look of the pics the frame will need straitened.

Wow, a bad day. Glad to hear that no one was hurt.

Financially speaking - the car is too far gone to merit the work.

Can the car be fixed - absolutely.

Let's say it was just the rear that suffered and not the front - it would be fixed. Or, if it was just the front that suffered and not the rear - it would be fixed. I would choose to look at it like that BUT I would also be the one fixing it and not having to pay for someone to do the work for me.

Your attachment to the car is what makes the difference.
Agreed. Had it been a recently acquired car or just any other car, for that matter, I wouldn't even think twice about letting it go. My attachment to the car is the ONLY thing that's keeping it around. Financially, I'm aware that it's a money pit and not worth it. But then again, nothing I ever do automotive-related is financially reasonable :s

Collector car insurance with an agreed price policy will pay to repair or will total the car for the agreed price..Regular insurance isn't paying to fix it that's a given..will total & give you maybe a few grand if your lucky..The car needs to be disassembled put up on the frame machine & measured out do a frame damage assessment..& a thorough damage assessment for secondary damage..the sheet metal is no biggie..rough Idea on a complete job 20-30k by the time is all said & done..The roof.. firewall..floors ..door hinge pillers ..cowl..inner rockers are the areas alot of shops are going to miss..Hard call because of the sentimental value ..since you could buy a pretty mint coupe recreate the same car for the money your going to spend fixing this one..but with out really measuring disassemble it's all a estimate..once you really know the extent of the frame structural damage you can make an educated decision.
Thanks Q, at least that gives me a basic notion of what I'm getting myself into. At this point I'm not even considering getting rid of the car. I'm just mentally preparing myself for the ridiculous amount of dough I need to dish out to get her in shape. Over the years I've put more money into it than it's worth, so I'm obviously not looking into getting a return on my investment. I guess now I have a legitimate excuse to fix all that rust it accumulated sitting on my parents' driveway all these years :D
Your welcome..Step back take a chill & clear your head..They always look worse right after it happens..save a few bucks remove the damaged bolt on parts then YOU can do some measurements yourself..member mister4x4 has the unibody spec chart..May not be as bad as you think or it looks..
Thank you yet again! I'll PM mister4x4 for the spec chart. I'm crossing my fingers. Like, really friggin' hard, man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I'm so sorry about your car but glad you're alright.

Whre abouts in FL are you? I'll be headed down to the space coast area at the end of Oct. I'll be eastbound from Buffalo on the I-90 then south bound on the I-79 through Pittsburgh to the I-77 and southbound through WV, VA, NC and SC to Columbia SC, then eastbound on the I-26 to the I-95 southbound to Titusville.

If you line up any parts that will be close to my route I would be willing to pick them up and transport them down to you.

BTW I'll be driving a full size F-450 and should have room for fenders,hood and 1/4's etc.

PM me if you get anything worked out and I'll give you a phone number and we can work it out.

Man that sucks big time but I am happy you were not hurt.

I'm not sure what rout you will be taking on the car but here's one that was advertized locally for best offer, he would probably take a couple of hundred. It's an original owner car maybee even orig paint , no motor , looks like rust in some areas , if interested I will dig around for his contact info and you can check out if its still availible and if it meets your needs.

[attachment=18581][attachment=18582][attachment=18583][attachment=18584][attachment=18585][attachment=18586]

Man that sucks! Good luck and glad you are ok! I know the feeling mine is still in the garage at Dad's taking up space and I wrecked it back in 1991.

I'm not sure what rout you will be taking on the car but here's one that was advertized locally for best offer, he would probably take a couple of hundred. It's an original owner car maybee even orig paint , no motor , looks like rust in some areas , if interested I will dig around for his contact info and you can check out if its still availible and if it meets your needs.
Hi Machman,

Yeah, his contact info would be great, I'm definitely interested. Don't know where it's located, but I could try to work something out if the price is right. Thanks for the tip!!!!!

Man that sucks! Good luck and glad you are ok! I know the feeling mine is still in the garage at Dad's taking up space and I wrecked it back in 1991.
Man that sucks :/ A few more members and we can form a wrecked Mustang club lol

Whre abouts in FL are you? I'll be headed down to the space coast area at the end of Oct. I'll be eastbound from Buffalo on the I-90 then south bound on the I-79 through Pittsburgh to the I-77 and southbound through WV, VA, NC and SC to Columbia SC, then eastbound on the I-26 to the I-95 southbound to Titusville.

If you line up any parts that will be close to my route I would be willing to pick them up and transport them down to you.

BTW I'll be driving a full size F-450 and should have room for fenders,hood and 1/4's etc.

PM me if you get anything worked out and I'll give you a phone number and we can work it out.
You will be going right through where I am from Running I-79 then I-77 in WV.

Oh man, that is really great to hear. After I assess the damage this weekend I'm going to be on full parts-search mode, so if i find anything along your route I will definitely let you know. I truly appreciate it, this site really does have the best members of any forum.

Oh man, that is really great to hear. After I assess the damage this weekend I'm going to be on full parts-search mode, so if i find anything along your route I will definitely let you know. I truly appreciate it, this site really does have the best members of any forum.
Sure just let me know. The rest of the guys near my route start looking for parts for him and let's get this car up and running again!

Sure just let me know. The rest of the guys near my route start looking for parts for him and let's get this car up and running again!
Much appreciated. Oh, and I didn't even answer your question. I'm down in Miami, but I'll drive up to the space coast. I'll take a pickup or a trailer or whatever I need, that won't be a problem.

I'm not sure what route you will be taking on the car but here's one that was advertized locally for best offer, he would probably take a couple of hundred. It's an original owner car maybee even orig paint , no motor , looks like rust in some areas , if interested I will dig around for his contact info and you can check out if its still availible and if it meets your needs.
Hi Machman,

Yeah, his contact info would be great, I'm definitely interested. Don't know where it's located, but I could try to work something out if the price is right. Thanks for the tip!!!!!
I just sent the guy an email to see if its still availible and asked for a phone number as soon as he replys I will PM you all the info

I'm not sure what route you will be taking on the car but here's one that was advertized locally for best offer, he would probably take a couple of hundred. It's an original owner car maybee even orig paint , no motor , looks like rust in some areas , if interested I will dig around for his contact info and you can check out if its still availible and if it meets your needs.
Hi Machman,

I just sent the guy an email to see if its still availible and asked for a phone number as soon as he replys I will PM you all the info
Great! Thanks!!

I have a full rear quarter skin, I bought from MU last year, I paid $90 plus fright.

I'm not sure what shipping will cost from RI, but its up for sale if your interested.

no rush give your self sometime to decide what you want to do first.

https://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=127840+01

Oh crap. I'm glad you weren't hurt. That's what counts. You need to assess what the car is worth to you. The market value does not really count in such cases.

The reason for the spin could simply be crappy tires. I remember when I had the Cooper Cobras my car would spin for obvious reasons when it rained. And it happened just the way you described it.

Damn...... I'm real sorry to see that. I'm glad you're OK and here to talk about it.

Wow....thanks for sharing. Makes my day look pretty good by comparison.

But, there are many a man here who have repaired cars much worse by an exponential factor. In fact, many of them would say 'tis but a scratch.

And, I bet there were a lot of guys driving by and shedding tears as they saw your car in the k-rail.

Hope you are good. And if worse comes to worse, be thankful for the time you had together.

james

(You were the one driving, right? Wasn't Lux was it? Although he probably drives pretty good on no tread tires in the rain)

Like everyone I am glad your okay. These old girls sure can take a hit! She kept you safe.

I lost my first mustang and actually my first car. Lady made a left turn in front of me. Damage was less than yours but at the time (29 years ago) it wasn't 'worth' saving.

So I bought the convertible and pulled much of the goodies off the Mach 1.

Something to consider. To fix it you are going to pull a bunch of body/frame parts off a donor car. Your car will still be there but much of it will be replaced. Perhaps you could do what I did. Pull the good parts off your car and use them in a doner. A drive train swap into a non-runner would let you keep the heart and soul of your car. I was lucky enough to be able to keep the factory guages as well. Just a thought...

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Very glad to hear you walked away unscathed though. I think you might be on the right track with the donor car idea. May be much less expensive in the long run.

Latest posts

Back