Danish Mustang “Pro-Touring" project - Creator 526

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not any progress on the car, but finally I have got the chance to make my measurements for the Bonspeed wheels. Another problem solved and less to think about! :D

Here's how I did it, it goes as follows.. :)

The first thing I did was to cut some pieces out of wood with the correct measurements for the section width on the tire, I think this is the only way to do it with out a tire or spending a lot of money on wheel fitment tools. I then marked the center of the tire on the piece so I could make my measurements from that. I drilled the holes so I had the upportunity to adjust the backspace a half inch every time I moved it inwards or outwards.

Here's the beginning on the wheel fitment tool to my specs

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

Now to the fun part. I got the car up on the lift and began to prepare it to measure the wheels. I was that lucky that my rear tire actually got the same overall diameter like the new wheels/tires I'm getting for the rear. So that was easy to lower the rear end to the ride height that I'm expecting to drive with. Maybe it will be lowered a little bit more, but it was fine to make the measurements. For the front, the new wheels/tires will add a little bit more to the overall diameter but not much, so this was also easy enought. The only way I could lower the car, was to raise it from the lift with the two lifts under the car. Then I tightened the car from the crossmember to the lift to lower it in front and from the leafs to the lift in rear. It's important that there is weight/load on the car when taking these measurements, if you don't have that your measurements can be wrong and that is not a good thing when ordering a set of custom wheels!

Here's some pictures of the progress :)

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

The car is lowered and ready :)

IMG_0510.JPG

I made another piece of wood and bolted it exactly to the center of the hub, the piece have the correct overall diameter from bottom to top, this makes everything much easier. I know the plate is'nt in the center of the white piece, but this gives me even more space to play with! But I tested it after the pictures was taken, and moved the plate to the center of the white piece and no problems here either when I turned it around.

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

This picture is with a 5.5'' backspace

IMG_0514.JPG

And this with a 6'' backspace

IMG_0515.JPG

The same for the front, you just need to make sure that you have enought space between the tire and frame rails and between the fender flares when you turn the wheels/tires lock to lock. Make sure that you clear the upper ball joint too, this don't seems to be any problem with a 19'' wheel if you get to much backspace the upper ball joint will just go inside the wheel.

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

After all this measuring, this is what I ended up with.

For the front with a 19''x8'' wheel with a 245/35-19 tire, I got a backspace on 3.5''.

For the rear with a 19''x11'' wheel with a 305/30-19 tire, I got a backspace on 5.5''. The rears are a tight fit and makes the outside of the tire 1.5'' or so to the outside of the flares on the rear quarter, but that's how I like it.. :)

I hope you like it, it might be useful if you want something similar sometime..

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel.

It was pretty cool the way you went about determining the fitment of the tires. I had to study what you were doing and finally figured it out. This is something that I would have not tried to do, good job!!!!

-john

I finally got the pictures to look right, I hope this will help some of you to understand what I am doing here.. :D

Thanks for the comments guys, I hope you understand it better now John.. :p

Another cool discovery I did was to move my rear tire up in the front, just to see if this was possible. The tire is 275 wide on a 15'' wheel. This should actually be possible! When I turned the tire to full lock, I had 3,6cm from the inside of the tire to the frame in front. No rubbing at the upper ball joint as well and no issue with the fenders. The only issue was when I turned the tire allmost to full lock the other way, the tire rubbed at the bolt there holds the steeringbox. This was 3-5cm before the steering wheel was turned to full lock! So if you chance the backspace of the wheel this should be possible, you might have to roll the fender lips, but that's easy done.. This is not realistic to use that wide a tire in front for the streets, but for road race or autocross applications this might be useful.. :)

Remember the tire I've mounted on the pictures are a little bigger than the overall diameter on a 19'' tire, it might be possible to make it work, but it might be better with a 18'' wheel if the car is lowered and you wan't to mount a tire that wide.. :)

Here's some pictures

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

i like your idea for getting your sizes figured out. So what is your overall diameter for back and front? What rim and tire have you chosen?

i like your idea for getting your sizes figured out. So what is your overall diameter for back and front? What rim and tire have you chosen?
Thanks! My overall diameter for the fronts are 25.8" and 26.3 for the rears, that's a half inch difference, I think I should be fine with that.. For the tires I have chosen Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2, they sounds to be some of the best and most affordable tires in my situation. I have read a lot of reviews and people are only talking good about.. I don't feel like spending my money on Pirelli's or Michelin's for a rear tire that won't run many miles anyway.. :D For the wheels I'm still sure about the Delta from Bonspeed, and I might be going with that color you can see on the picture, I really like that copper together with polished hoops.. :)

image.jpg

Those are good looking rims. Have you chosen a colour for the body? Copper always looks great with a dark blue or something like that.

I'm not quite sure yet, but a charcoal grey not to dark and not to light, something between that.. The picture will illustrate what I mean, I really like colors like that on muscle cars and it's seen more and more these days. But of course I don't want something other people have, so I have to do something a little different.. But I think a color like that will match the copper really nice, the copper might have to be a little darker, but not much. I have to remember that the body color also have to match the color I've painted some of the engine parts a little.. :)

What do you think about those ideas? It's so damn hard to decide, there is a million of colors to choose from.. :D

image.jpg

Daniel, your askng a guy who deals with colour and design for a living and yet I said yes to at least 10 colours including your idea and could never make up my mind. I really like your colour combination. Painted rims are my thing, but the car is going to have to have a perfect tucked stance. Just imagine the wicked Chevy II you have here with any space between the tire and fender flare. It would look like a 4x4. For years I have seen outstanding builds that felt incomplete because of the final ride hight. Altitude is attitude. If the car is lying low your choices will look sick!! Can't wait to see it. By the way are you keeping any of the stock decals/black outs or going clean?

For example, the blackout treatment under the bumpers and doors makes the car look longer because it narrows the hight of the side profile of the car. I'm not putting it back that way because I'm after a fatter thicker look. Even though I like the idea of a black or charcoal paint job I need to go with a light colour to make the car look bigger and the body lines more evident. Shadows are black so the darker the colour the less you notice the curves. I do like the hockey stick stripe on the side, the moustache on the trunk and the torpedo on the hood but I will have to see once the car is painted.

Haha it is'nt easy to decide, a wrong color or just the tone of the color can make everything look wrong.. And thanks. I got your point, that's the exactly same thing I am thinking, if the distance between the tire and flares are to big, the car will look totally wrong, it just makes everything that the car have a perfect stance. I really hope that I can get the top of the tire and wheel up in the wheelbase so you can't see all of the wheel.. I really like that look and hope it's possible to do with dropped leafsprings and front springs.

My plan was to go totally clean. But I was thinking about painting the taillight panel a flat black or a different flat color, just to make a nice detail. I was also thinking about doing some nice details to the hood, I'm much inspired by RingBrothers and how they do some of their paint jobs to their cars. I can't really decide what to do, but I'm not going with any stock decals, but I'm sure it would have looked very cool together with a custom body color, lowered stance and big rims.. :)

And I know what you are saying, a darker color hides the body lines more and a lighter shows more. That's why I want something between that. But I can understand you in your situation that you want a light color to show all of your beautiful work! I'm so excited to see what you come up with, do you have any thoughts about what kind of colors you want?

Here's another example of a charcoal color, I'm just in love with it.. :p

image.jpg

I really think your going down the right path. Don't know if you need to get it that low but very nice. At one point I was considering a Mercedes colour called Liquid Metal. Glasurite 90 Line I think was the name of the paint line by BASF. You might like that. I myself am going to go with the only colour I never gave a chance which is a none colour actually. White. No metallic flake. Rear treatment and hood treatment is almost certain but the sides of the car is not a sure thing yet. Little modern tweaks on a classic decal look. Hood has a ton of realestate to cover.

Looking at the colour it might be a little light since it looks like raw metal but the paint line has many other nice options.

Back