Dash bezel screw clips

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Q code Mach 1
Do the mounting screw clips that the screws thread into for the gauge bezel and the passenger trim go in the dash board, or on the dash pad? It seems like they could go on the metal strip of the pad to help hold it down...?

The interior assembly manual surprisingly doesn't cover putting the dash together...

Do the mounting screw clips that the screws thread into for the gauge bezel and the passenger trim go in the dash board, or on the dash pad? It seems like they could go on the metal strip of the pad to help hold it down...?

The interior assembly manual surprisingly doesn't cover putting the dash together...
I looked at mine. It looks like the pad to me, not 100% sure. I also looked in the electrical assembly manual. It is not shown there either. Chuck

Whew! Glad it's not just me. I was stumped as well... in addition to not finding it in either of those manuals. That piece of metal isn't even shown - as well as the two I have left over that are obviously dashboard pieces, but I have no idea where they go (both are about 9 inches long, flat pieces with 120-130 degree lazy bends and have 3/8" 90-degree lips for the mounting holes (like they belong on the front edge of the side trim pieces or something).

I'll have to get some pictures when I get home. I can't find anything remotely close searching for images.

I HAD pictures of everything in the dash until the laptop went dark.:mad: I'll see if my IT person (youngest son) can access the stand alone hard drive I was using when the laptop resigned. If I find the pictures I'll post them/send them.

Maybe Don or Mike knows?

Chuck

Kinda. Should the clips go here, where the are now:

IMG_0909_zps1ddd1d54.jpg

Or here, on the dash pad?

IMG_0908_zps8ce357a7.jpg

Some of the screws go to the U nuts which clip onto the edge of the metal dash as pictured and some go directly into the dash pad.

My dash pad has been off for over a year so I can't remember off the top of my head what goes where but it should be easy to figure out by dry fitting the dash pad.

My car didn't come with that extra metal strip so I can't help there.

Pat.

All the clips were on the pad on my car. I think that the metal strip is to provide support when you tighten down the screws. If it wasn't there the plastic front bezel would probably crack when trying to get the front edge of the pad to pull down.

-john

Pat.

All the clips were on the pad on my car. I think that the metal strip is to provide support when you tighten down the screws. If it wasn't there the plastic front bezel would probably crack when trying to get the front edge of the pad to pull down.

-john
+1

I also do it like the picture shows, on the dash pad

Last edited by a moderator:
+1

I also do it like the picture shows, on the dash pad
+1 to Eddy's method. Two clips on the driver's side dash pad on either edge; omitting the center hole on the driver's side.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these also part of the dashboard? I cannot for the life of me figure out where they're supposed to go. They have some camera case texture on them, and they're complete symmetrical, but I'm stumped.

wtf1.jpg

Are these also part of the dashboard? I cannot for the life of me figure out where they're supposed to go. They have some camera case texture on them, and they're complete symmetrical, but I'm stumped.
I don't recognize those parts for a Mach 1 - '73

:-/

Yeah... but "where?" Like I said, they have the camera case texture on the side that's "up" in the pic... but danged if I know where they go. :huh:

ANY ideas are helpful at this point. I just hope they're not something I should've put in before the headliner went in. :s

Yeah... but "where?" Like I said, they have the camera case texture on the side that's "up" in the pic... but danged if I know where they go. :huh:

ANY ideas are helpful at this point. I just hope they're not something I should've put in before the headliner went in. :s
Could it be this? This is from a 73.

004.jpg

Back