• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Dashpad, 1971 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 429 Super Cobra Jet, 4.11, Detroit Locker
Has anything noticed a substantial difference between an original OEM dashpad for 1971 Mach 1 and the new, aftermarket units produced today? Wondering if I should pay big bucks for a used OEM unit or $130.00 for a repop. Thanks for any feedback.

Hello Ponypastor,

I am always skeptical about reproduction parts since most of the ones I have used lately do not always fit correctly. There are some who use the Ford Original tooling that would be more appealing and would fit better. Here is one vendor that is making the dashes from original tooling.

www.dashesdirect.com

http://www.dashesdirect.com/index.php

Possible vendor to purchase from

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Interior/dash_pads.htm

I have one of the original tooled dash pads. I have not installed it yet. It is nice though. I hope this helps.

mustang7173:D

Has anything noticed a substantial difference between an original OEM dashpad for 1971 Mach 1 and the new, aftermarket units produced today? Wondering if I should pay big bucks for a used OEM unit or $130.00 for a repop. Thanks for any feedback.

I put a aftermarket pad with the original Ford tooling on mine and it looks good, although compared to an OEM pad you can tell the difference.

What I would like to find is that long plastic finishing strip that fits behind the pad where it screws onto the front metal part of the dash. Mine was so brittle it came apart when I tried to reuse it. It doesn't have that finished look without it.

Jim

I think the dashes direct repro is better than the one they call OE Tooling that is 200.00 +

I stock the dashes direct repro 129.95

I can order in the OE tooling one if you want it

Don

Thank you to all who contributed to my query re dashpads. Sounds like the new pads--from the right sources--fairly satisfy most owners. That is good to know. Am about to start on a substantial project and know I will need a new pad for the Mach 1.

Jim: Interesting that you mentioned the plastic piece that fits between the two dash pieces.

I met with the man today for lunch who is arguably the most knowledgeable guy in the county for 71=73 Mustangs. In all of his years of restoration/repair of Mustangs, he told me that he has never seen that plastic piece as part of the restoration. For what it is worth, neither have I.

Anyone find a cheap dashpad? Mine is shot. I don't want to spend more then 100 if possible. Probably dreaming.

Thanks

1973 Mustang Grande

351w FMX tranny

Anyone find a cheap dashpad? Mine is shot. I don't want to spend more then 100 if possible. Probably dreaming.

Thanks

1973 Mustang Grande

351w FMX tranny
A new one is 129.95

Item #DP71-BLK

71-73 DASH PAD, BLACK

Dashes Direct brand reproduction dash pad. Black. Price: $129.95

I have a couple of OEM dashes in black.

Is the plastic piece that you guys talking about the strip that goes over the glove box door on standard interiors? If so, I think Don has those. The only other plastic pieces are the gauge and center bezels, which are now made repop.

Bob [email protected]

They are talking about the ribbed finish trim strip on the front edge of 71 dash pads.

They are talking about the ribbed finish trim strip on the front edge of 71 dash pads.
was it standard on all 71 Mustang?

Have had four untouched 71, but only sat on one of them.

// Thomas

I can't picture it. Doesn't the dash go right up to the glass?

NO, the 71 strip goes on the edge of the pad at the metal plate mating point

Yep, that's it, mine cracked in several places it was so brittle when I removed, it, I feel the strip gave the dash a more finishied look. If anyone has a lead on who may have one in good condition and not brittle, I'm interested in it.

Jim

strip.jpgStrip2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the Dashes Direct pad several years ago and am happy with it. The grain of the material felt more coarse than the original, but that was probably because the original had worn down after almost 40 years.

DSCF9449.jpg

Back