Dented oil pan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Looking for someone to talk me out of trying to replace my oil pan because it's dented, because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I've read where it's possible to do this by raising the engine, but that the oil pump pickup needs removal, other people say it's easier to just remove the engine. The fact that I'm the one who caused this makes this no easier.
There are no leaks or anything, but I KNOW it's there. This is a 302 C4 with a 2 bbl carb. I'm half tempted to let it go over the summer, and have my local guy do it, but I definitely want to get it taken care of at some point. I have an engine hoist, but not sure if I have the ambition, I'm not a kid any more..........just venting I guess.........

Its doable without removing the engine but you have to lift it. I lifted it by placing a 1x2 along the oil pan flange, one side at a time and placing a 2x4 between the engine and mount. Removing the sway bar helps but you don't need to. And yes, you need to remove the pump before removing the pan. You can access the pump bolts through the gap once the pan comes partially down.

You do not need to pull the oil pump when replacing the oil pan.. As Tony stated, you can raise the engine enough to slip 2x4s between the motor mounts to support it.. Also, it makes the job easier to drop the sway bar and slip the pan out. You'll be glad you did. Also, YouTube is an excellent source for video information on how to do it..

Last edited:
If the pan isn't pancaked, an easy fix is to tack weld a bolt to the center of the dent and use a pry bar or a slide hammer to work the dent out. It doesn't have to be perfect. Grind off the tacks, then DA smooth and give a squirt of engine color.

As far as getting the pan out, after jacking the engine, I found you need to remove the pump *and* the sway bar. I replaced a locked up 302 oil pump in a Home Depot parking lot back in '91 when I was daily driving my old 71 sportsroof. It's often much easier to get things out of the way, than to struggle because you don't want to remove X or Y part.

I am glad you posted this, and mentioned quite clearly how raising the car using a jack under the oil pan can cause some significant issues that may not be evident at first glance. Nobody in their right mind would ever intentionally impede the oil pump input tube/strainer clearance from the inside of the oil pan. For folks who would jack up the front of the vehicle using the oil pan as a pressure point to begin with would be more likely to not be aware of existence of an oil pump pickup tube/strainer to begin with - and would therefore be blissfully unaware of why their engine suddenly stops running a little while after jacking up the car. I hope everyone takes heed before they themselves fall prey to the temptation of using such a convenient location to place a hydraulic jack to life the front end up.

The oil pump/shaft replacement job always seemed to take more than two hands. Holding the oil pump up and starting at least one bolt, while lining up the oil pump drive shaft and keeping it from falling out can be tedious at best. But, what I used to do, when I did in-chassis engine work, was to put an oil pan bolt back in the block's pan rail by hand, alongside the oil shaft, then put an appropriate sized rubber band around the bolt and shaft, just to hold the shaft by tension against the block. It is now held up hands free. Now, you can install the oil pump with pickup, with both hands, engaging the hex shaft in the pump, and moving it over to where the attaching bolts can be put in. The rubber band is captive at this point, but just cut it, remove the bolt in the block's pan rail, and move on to install the pan.

Last edited:
If the dent is significant (3/8"-7/16" or greater) and near where it could contact the pickup, I would think it means the pick up has been bent upwards as well. Bringing the pan down won't bring the pick up down. That may not be a problem at all for "normal" use. It may cause a problem for high RPM or extended high speed use. Just a thought. I hope you get it sorted without too much drama. Chuck

Back