distributor gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markc

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
driving my 73 home from florida the distributor gear pin snapped. got it fixed on the fly. i have an accel hei dist. pulled it out today and the shaft was in two pieces. the gear is attached to a small shaft. that was left in the block and i pulled it out with needle nose. it fits onto the main shaft but loosely and wont stay joined together. when i try to put the dist. in the gear falls in the block. can this be fixed,is it supposed to be like that or is it junk?? thanks

holy crap!! mine isnt that bad. i was just looking at dists on ebay. i guess not!! tyvm.

holy crap!! mine isnt that bad. i was just looking at dists on ebay. i guess not!! tyvm.
I replaced mine with a DUI distributor from Performance Distributors in TN. They custom curve it based on your engine specs. I am very pleased with the noticeable increase in performance. They are not cheap though.

I replaced mine with a DUI distributor from Performance Distributors in TN. They custom curve it based on your engine specs. I am very pleased with the noticeable increase in performance. They are not cheap though.
i think im gonna go with a jegs. $150.00. seems decent enough for my 73. been looking at some msd boxes too.

do you have a high volume or high pressure oil pump?

what viscosity oil is it?

what was the outdoor temp when it broke?

were you revving it out at the time?

nothing should have broken on an accell although they are probably now made in taiwan, either way, i would be a bit more concerned as to why the oil pump put so much load on it that it caused it to break.

can you post photos of the loose fitting shaft and distributor? those pieces should not separate.

Last edited by a moderator:
as far as i know its a stock pump. 5w 30 oil. fla temp was about 85. driving down the highway about 65 mph. there was a loud bang and the engine stopped running. after getting it fixed theres been no problem. pulled it to see if was ok. the shafts look normal but they wont stay together.

Back